Re: Paddleplank!

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
      I think a person could try a stand-up paddle in any small boat before
      making the big plunge. (Pun intended:-)

      Matt Layden did the around Florida Challenge using one in his tiny
      sailboat including running some fast waters. I'm thinking something like
      a Mouse boat could be a test bed. Does it have to be a pointy bow if it
      has some rocker which would also stiffen the hull bottom.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" <mattpinkley@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going
      into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and
      photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked
      out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames.
      Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.

      > Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case
      my design is a total flop.

      > Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP
      designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

    • Mike Allison
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
        On 2/22/2013 11:30 AM, pd_89415 wrote:

        > Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going
        > into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and
        > photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked
        > out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames.
        > Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.
        >
        > Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case my
        > design is a total flop.
        >
        > Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP
        > designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

        Here is a pair of links that may help design a paddle plank.

        http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=MechanixIllustrated/BattleSurfBoards
        http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Surfboards/Hollowsurf

        Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)

      • billnolen66
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
          Nels, that's good advice! Many of us older guys have lost a great deal of
          our ability to balance standing upright in a boat.

          How many of you...young and old...can now stand on one foot, on a solid
          floor, for a minute? OK, now try doing it with your eyes closed!

          Disclaimer: I'm not liable for injuries! <G>

          Bill Nolen
          OKC

          --- In _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com) ,