Re: Paddleplank!

  • pd_89415
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 21, 2013
      My main criteria for this project are cheap, functional, lightweight, and quick to build. The Paddleplank looks good but at 70lb (estimated), light it is not, especially considering I would probably make it out of BC pine which isn't light. The CLC Koholo looks really nice but if made right, wouldn't be cheap or quick to build. Then I came across Dave Gentry's intriguing Boardyak. This seems to fit the bill best on all counts, but it doesn't seem long enough. I have read, however, that there is a longer design in the works.

      Soooo, I have decided to design and build my own SOF SUP. It will have similar lines and overall dimensions to the longer 14 Koholo with pointy bow and fine entry leading back to a slight V shape in the middle and a deeper V shape at the flat transom. The thought behind the V bottom shape is to attempt to avoid adding an external skeg, though I will leave that option open if necessary.

      There are a lot of new experiences with this project. Not only have I never tried my hand at boat design, but I have never built in SOF construction, or even stood for a moment on a stand up paddleboard. What are the odds that this turns out well? It should be a fun trip anyways...Wish me luck!

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

      > They are selling INFLATABLE ones over here now.Mind you,,,you'd never guess it.They feel very solid.
      >

      > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
      > -Sigurd Olson
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Dave Gentry
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" <mattpinkley@...> wrote:
        > . . . Then I came across Dave Gentry's intriguing Boardyak. This seems to fit the bill best on all counts, but it doesn't seem long enough. I have read, however, that there is a longer design in the works.
        >
        > Soooo, I have decided to design and build my own SOF SUP.
        > There are a lot of new experiences with this project. Not only have I never tried my hand at boat design, but I have never built in SOF construction, or even stood for a moment on a stand up paddleboard. What are the odds that this turns out well? It should be a fun trip anyways...Wish me luck!

        Yes, good luck! I would like to see Mr Michalak's Paddleplank get built, but I think it's great that you are venturing into creating your own - it's very satisfying to design your own boat, and skin on frame is the perfect medium for experimentation, as it is so cheap and quick.
        I will mention - since you brought it up - that my longer, dedicated SUP design is now finished and plans will be available as soon as I can update my site. I still think you should design and build your own, though!

        Those inflatable boards are a great idea in my opinion - wish I'd thought of that! The ones I have examined (but not paddled) seem solid and just as functional as the hard shells.

        Good luck!
        Dave Gentry
      • pd_89415
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
          Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames. Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.

          Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case my design is a total flop.

          Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
            I think a person could try a stand-up paddle in any small boat before
            making the big plunge. (Pun intended:-)

            Matt Layden did the around Florida Challenge using one in his tiny
            sailboat including running some fast waters. I'm thinking something like
            a Mouse boat could be a test bed. Does it have to be a pointy bow if it
            has some rocker which would also stiffen the hull bottom.

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" <mattpinkley@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going
            into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and
            photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked
            out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames.
            Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.

            > Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case
            my design is a total flop.

            > Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP
            designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

          • Mike Allison
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
              On 2/22/2013 11:30 AM, pd_89415 wrote:

              > Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going
              > into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and
              > photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked
              > out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames.
              > Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.
              >
              > Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case my
              > design is a total flop.
              >
              > Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP
              > designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

              Here is a pair of links that may help design a paddle plank.

              http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=MechanixIllustrated/BattleSurfBoards
              http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Surfboards/Hollowsurf

              Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)

            • billnolen66
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
                Nels, that's good advice! Many of us older guys have lost a great deal of
                our ability to balance standing upright in a boat.

                How many of you...young and old...can now stand on one foot, on a solid
                floor, for a minute? OK, now try doing it with your eyes closed!

                Disclaimer: I'm not liable for injuries! <G>

                Bill Nolen
                OKC

                --- In _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com) ,