Re: [Michalak] Iain Oughtred on Leeboards

  • Chris Parker
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
      Do a google search for "boeier" and "botter" for starters. Not enough fun?
      Try these types:

      blazer
      enkhuizer bol
      fries jacht
      grundel
      hengst
      hoogaars
      Kajuitschouw
      lemsteraak
      pluut
      punter
      schokker
      schouw
      skutsje
      staversejol
      tjalk
      tjotter
      vollenhovense bol
      wieringer bol
      wieringeraak
      zalmschouw
      zeeschouw
      zeeuwse schouw

      I'm sure the hull forms are very different, but Jim's
      Wooboto<http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/wooboto/Untitled-6.jpg>always
      makes me think of
      botters <http://tugster.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/ase333.jpg>.

      - Chris

      On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Scott Souder <souderscott997@...>
      wrote:

      > Sorry for being so slow to respond. I am currently gone Mon-Friday for
      work.
      > Anyways to summarize the statement I referred to it comes from Iain's
      Plywood Clinker Boatbuilding Manual page 168...where he is explaining a
      leeboard...he states that it is more efficient than a centerboard. He does
      say it is a nuisance to tack, but it also eliminates the need for the
      centerboard case, and then he sort of cracks a bit of a joke at the fact
      that there is "AN IRRATIONAL PREJUDICE" of them.

      Chris Parker
      Center for Teaching and Learning
      Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs
      University Office Plaza, Suite 400
      2221 University Ave. S.E.
      Minneapolis, MN 55414
      612-625-2382
      https://www.facebook.com/UMinnCTL?fref=ts

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
        Great photo. Some more photos here:

        http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales

        Nels
        wrote:<br>><br>> Do a google search for
        "boeier" and "botter" for starters. Not enough fun?<br>> Try these
        types:

      • billnolen66
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
          Nels, I want this one!

          _http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales/27561/zeeschouw-zilte-hinde/
          _
          (http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales/27561/zeeschouw-zilte-hinde/)

          Bill Nolen
          OKC

          In a message dated 2/20/2013 4:31:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          nelsarv@... writes:

          Great photo. Some more photos here:

          _http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales_
          (http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales)

          Nels

          --- In _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com) ,
          Chris Parker
          wrote:

          > Do a google search for
          "boeier" and "botter" for starters. Not enough fun?
          > Try these
          types:

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 20, 2013
            Sweet! I translated some of it. The hull is steel. But did not quite
            completely understand this comment?
            "The sails are made of thick dacron. The mast is easy to iron using the
            drizzle."

            Nels:-)

            I want this one!