Re: [Michalak] Paddleplank!

  • john colley
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 19, 2013
      Take one windsurfboard,(without mast/sail) Stand on it and paddle with a long handled paddle.That's all it is

      -Sigurd Olson

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 19, 2013
        Not from what I have read. A windsurfer is very difficult to stay
        upright on without the sail and mast to help support you. So ideally you
        want a board with hard chines like the one Jim drew. He is correct that
        the underbody should be more like a boat bottom than a surf board from
        what I understand.

        WB magazine is running a 2-part series on building one from plywood. It
        has a very fine hull entry almost a bit like a lowered profile Toto.
        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/toto/index.htm

        I bet Jim's version would be a lot easier and cheaper to build than
        theirs! Hard to keep them light - like any boat with a fully covered
        deck.

        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/paddleplank/index.htm

        There are several versions available commercially from beginners to
        racing models. But a person could always try a windsurfer board and see
        how it goes.

        Nels

        wrote:<br>><br>> Take one windsurfboard,(without mast/sail) Stand on it
        and paddle with a long handled paddle.That's all it is<br>> <br>> Â
        canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 20, 2013
          Wonder how it would work carving one out of foam board and then thin
          plywood over and maybe some light glass on the bottom? The one in WB
          also had skegs.

        • daniel brown
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 20, 2013
            i went to lowes yesterday and bought some 'nominal' 1/4" sureply, got it home and weighed and measured... its more like 3/16" and 20 lbs per sheet...hmmm...

            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
            From: nelsarv@...
            Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:42:59 +0000
            Subject: [Michalak] Re: Paddleplank!

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 20, 2013
              I think Jim got the overall design pretty darn good, considering he is
              not that crazy about the idea of paddling standing on a plank! He did
              give enough space and capacity for two people to paddle it sitting down
              with double-bladed paddles as an option. If not requiring that option it
              could be shortened by removing 2 ft. from the central hull shape I'm
              thinking (The one at WB is 12 ft.) Then just a section of foam board
              between where the person stands to stiffen it there?

              I bought some of that Sureply and it failed my testing (6 dishwasher
              runs). The glue lines held up fine but one of the outer layers wrinkled.
              So I planned to use it for pattern making. I left a sheet out on my deck
              over outdoor carpet most of the summer in sun and rain and now winter
              and checking it out it still seems fine and never even warped! Would a
              layer of say 2 oz glass encapsulated with epoxy work I am wondering now?
              The inner layer of course should stay dry if built water-tight. That
              would make the weight maybe closer to 50 than 70lb and a lot more
              manageable to carry.

              The next challenge would be the paddle. Commercial ones are extremely
              expensive. This one might be an option for a beginner and converts to a
              double blade.

              http://www.rei.com/product/801104/carlisle-taboo-stand-up-paddle

              I have found Carlisle paddles to be very well built but heavy and not
              great blades for performance. Here in Canada we have to carry a 2nd
              paddle when canoeing and I always carry 2 when tandem paddling. And
              Carlisles are my choice. Wooden bent shafts for straight ahead
              performance and the Carlisles when in rocky waters.
              But I digress...

              Nels

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 20, 2013
                i like your 12' and foam block ideas, 70 lbs is just out of range for me. sunfish have been using foam blocks for stiffening for 50+ years. thanks for the alert about the sureply, looks like the outer veneers are paper thin. my friend david has used sureply for a larsboat and its holding up fine. extra sealing is a good idea.
                i have built a few kayak paddles, around 7' long, that weighed 27-35 oz. one had a cedar shaft and okoume ply blades, it was the lightest. i think a sup paddle would be just as light and easy to make as that one.

                To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                From: nelsarv@...
                Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:31:09 +0000

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 20, 2013
                  I am surprised a cedar shaft would be strong enough. But maybe a type
                  not like the western (red) variety?

                  My downriver paddles have laminated shafts and oval in cross-section.
                  Cedar and spruce maybe?

                  I have tried making glassed foam-cored blades. But found them not that
                  strong either. They broke at the shaft connection and too flexy in a
                  wider shape.

                  Nels

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 20, 2013
                    you may be right about cedar being too brittle for a sup paddle. the forces on a kayak paddle are near the paddle blade so not as much torque... my latest gp paddle is laminated wrc and cypress, it is going to be pretty stout at 34 oz. good for boat wake surfing i hope : )

                    To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                    From: nelsarv@...
                    Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:35:32 +0000

                    wrote:

                    > i like your 12' and foam block ideas, 70 lbs is
                    just out of range for me. sunfish have been using foam blocks for
                    stiffening for 50+ years. thanks for the alert about the sureply, looks
                    like the outer veneers are paper thin. my friend david has used sureply
                    for a larsboat and its holding up fine. extra sealing is a good idea.

                  • Carl Volkwein
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 20, 2013
                      Go to Duck works news letter on the web, and look up "scullmatix" and you'l find something like what you're looking for

                      ________________________________

                      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                      From: nelsarv@...
                      Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:35:32 +0000

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 21, 2013
                        They are selling INFLATABLE ones over here now.Mind you,,,you'd never guess it.They feel very solid.

                        -Sigurd Olson

                        ________________________________
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 21, 2013
                          My main criteria for this project are cheap, functional, lightweight, and quick to build. The Paddleplank looks good but at 70lb (estimated), light it is not, especially considering I would probably make it out of BC pine which isn't light. The CLC Koholo looks really nice but if made right, wouldn't be cheap or quick to build. Then I came across Dave Gentry's intriguing Boardyak. This seems to fit the bill best on all counts, but it doesn't seem long enough. I have read, however, that there is a longer design in the works.

                          Soooo, I have decided to design and build my own SOF SUP. It will have similar lines and overall dimensions to the longer 14 Koholo with pointy bow and fine entry leading back to a slight V shape in the middle and a deeper V shape at the flat transom. The thought behind the V bottom shape is to attempt to avoid adding an external skeg, though I will leave that option open if necessary.

                          There are a lot of new experiences with this project. Not only have I never tried my hand at boat design, but I have never built in SOF construction, or even stood for a moment on a stand up paddleboard. What are the odds that this turns out well? It should be a fun trip anyways...Wish me luck!

                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

                          > They are selling INFLATABLE ones over here now.Mind you,,,you'd never guess it.They feel very solid.
                          >

                          > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                          > -Sigurd Olson
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Dave Gentry
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" <mattpinkley@...> wrote:
                            > . . . Then I came across Dave Gentry's intriguing Boardyak. This seems to fit the bill best on all counts, but it doesn't seem long enough. I have read, however, that there is a longer design in the works.
                            >
                            > Soooo, I have decided to design and build my own SOF SUP.
                            > There are a lot of new experiences with this project. Not only have I never tried my hand at boat design, but I have never built in SOF construction, or even stood for a moment on a stand up paddleboard. What are the odds that this turns out well? It should be a fun trip anyways...Wish me luck!

                            Yes, good luck! I would like to see Mr Michalak's Paddleplank get built, but I think it's great that you are venturing into creating your own - it's very satisfying to design your own boat, and skin on frame is the perfect medium for experimentation, as it is so cheap and quick.
                            I will mention - since you brought it up - that my longer, dedicated SUP design is now finished and plans will be available as soon as I can update my site. I still think you should design and build your own, though!

                            Those inflatable boards are a great idea in my opinion - wish I'd thought of that! The ones I have examined (but not paddled) seem solid and just as functional as the hard shells.

                            Good luck!
                            Dave Gentry
                          • pd_89415
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
                              Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames. Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.

                              Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case my design is a total flop.

                              Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
                                I think a person could try a stand-up paddle in any small boat before
                                making the big plunge. (Pun intended:-)

                                Matt Layden did the around Florida Challenge using one in his tiny
                                sailboat including running some fast waters. I'm thinking something like
                                a Mouse boat could be a test bed. Does it have to be a pointy bow if it
                                has some rocker which would also stiffen the hull bottom.

                                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" <mattpinkley@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going
                                into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and
                                photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked
                                out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames.
                                Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.

                                > Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case
                                my design is a total flop.

                                > Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP
                                designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

                              • Mike Allison
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
                                  On 2/22/2013 11:30 AM, pd_89415 wrote:

                                  > Thanks for the comments Dave Gentry! I must say that I am not going
                                  > into this completely in the dark thanks to your descriptive posts and
                                  > photos on other forums. As of this morning, I have the details worked
                                  > out and have plotted full scale layouts of the cross sectional frames.
                                  > Will pick up some lumber this weekend and get rolling.
                                  >
                                  > Looking forward to seeing your new design. Will bookmark it in case my
                                  > design is a total flop.
                                  >
                                  > Have you considered any type of built in flotation in your SUP
                                  > designs? Pool noodles? Empty wine bags?

                                  Here is a pair of links that may help design a paddle plank.

                                  http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=MechanixIllustrated/BattleSurfBoards
                                  http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=Surfboards/Hollowsurf

                                  Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)

                                • billnolen66
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 22, 2013
                                    Nels, that's good advice! Many of us older guys have lost a great deal of
                                    our ability to balance standing upright in a boat.

                                    How many of you...young and old...can now stand on one foot, on a solid
                                    floor, for a minute? OK, now try doing it with your eyes closed!

                                    Disclaimer: I'm not liable for injuries! <G>

                                    Bill Nolen
                                    OKC

                                    --- In _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com) ,