Re: Iain Oughtred on Leeboards

  • souderscott997
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 17 7:40 PM
      I have some of the same things in my head trust me. I got rid of my Venture 21 and built a Wooboto and couldn't be more pleased. It may be a worse sickness than the others however since I am already agonizing over the next set of plans...lol Thank god I am lucky with the wife I have. She gave a good explanation of my boat tinkering once talking with a friend of hers and said "some husbands are addicted to drugs or alcohol, and some addicted to cheating, or riculous things like video games...mine is in the garage constantly messing with boats, I'd rather deal with that. Ahhh overhearing those words was like music to the soul.:) Then and there I knew she was the perfect one.
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Padvorac" <roger@...> wrote:

      > Scott,
      > I'm sorry for any confusion my message might have caused. I was responding to your enthusiasm for leeboards with some of my story about working to reconcile the logical conclusion that for shallow draft boats leeboards are a great choice, with the emotional bias I have against them that was programmed into me as a kid.
      >
      > I really appreciate your bringing up all this positive information about leeboards.
      >
      > The more you bring up facts about how well leeboards work, and the more people talk about using them and why they like them, then the more my bias against them slowly fades away.
      >
      > Its a real pain being logically convinced leeboards are a good deal, and having to listen to this garbage in the back of my mind saying "awww, but I want a real sailboat without those ugly things on its sides". Its like having a family fight inside my own head.
      >
      > You could say that as a kid I was programmed by the white fiberglass Bermuda-rigged sailboat cult and now I'm working on deprogramming myself. What better place could there be for me to do this, than in a Michalak boat community? LOL
      >
      > Once, deep in my gut, I start feeling leeboards a normal and beautifully functional, then I'll probably be okay. Until then, I need to keep hearing lots of positive things about leeboards :)
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Roger

    • Tom Hart
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 18 3:32 AM
        Thanks, Scott. Yes, he's describing the making of an asymmetric leeboard - and is saying they are more efficient than a symmetrical centreboard.

        However, Daniel Brown has cited the experience from open sailing canoes that most winning canoes use a single symmetrical board - a pretty definitive finding in favour of Jim's preferred configuration!

        Daniel, do the sailing canoe designers/sailors have any theories as to why asymmetric boards don't give a superior performance?

        Tom.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "souderscott997" <souderscott997@...> wrote:

        > He does mention another detail I found interesting as far as the shape. In several if not most cases people give them the standard foil shape (both sides sanded and shaped). He states that it is important to leave the outer edge completely flat and only sand and shape the inside in the "aerofoil" shape to "give some lift". I had just never heard it explained like that and found that detail interesting. Is that a critical detail???
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hart" <tomhart92@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Many thanks, Scott. I'd always assumed centreboards were more efficient than leeboards because of the hull providing an end-plate effect. Perhaps Iain's referring to asymmetric leeboards as being more efficient. In which case, Jim's designs wouldn't count because he uses a (symmetrical) one for both tacks - for very good reasons.
        > >
        > > Tom.

      • John Boy
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 18 4:13 AM
          Scott wrote, "It may be a worse sickness than the others however since I am already agonizing over the next set of plans...lol"

          I wonder if there is a 12 step group for this.

          Hi, my name is John Boy and I'm a serial boat builder.  I have five boats, all is various states of maintenance, and I'm waiting for my tax refund to go buy a stack of plywood for my next boat.

          I love the smell of saw dust in the morning!

          I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

          Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 18 6:17 AM
            Nice to know there are plenty of others with the same problems.:)

          • Chris Parker
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 20 11:26 AM
              Do a google search for "boeier" and "botter" for starters. Not enough fun?
              Try these types:

              blazer
              enkhuizer bol
              fries jacht
              grundel
              hengst
              hoogaars
              Kajuitschouw
              lemsteraak
              pluut
              punter
              schokker
              schouw
              skutsje
              staversejol
              tjalk
              tjotter
              vollenhovense bol
              wieringer bol
              wieringeraak
              zalmschouw
              zeeschouw
              zeeuwse schouw

              I'm sure the hull forms are very different, but Jim's
              Wooboto<http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/wooboto/Untitled-6.jpg>always
              makes me think of
              botters <http://tugster.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/ase333.jpg>.

              - Chris

              On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Scott Souder <souderscott997@...>
              wrote:

              > Sorry for being so slow to respond. I am currently gone Mon-Friday for
              work.
              > Anyways to summarize the statement I referred to it comes from Iain's
              Plywood Clinker Boatbuilding Manual page 168...where he is explaining a
              leeboard...he states that it is more efficient than a centerboard. He does
              say it is a nuisance to tack, but it also eliminates the need for the
              centerboard case, and then he sort of cracks a bit of a joke at the fact
              that there is "AN IRRATIONAL PREJUDICE" of them.

              Chris Parker
              Center for Teaching and Learning
              Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs
              University Office Plaza, Suite 400
              2221 University Ave. S.E.
              Minneapolis, MN 55414
              612-625-2382
              https://www.facebook.com/UMinnCTL?fref=ts

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 20 2:31 PM
                Great photo. Some more photos here:

                http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales

                Nels
                wrote:<br>><br>> Do a google search for
                "boeier" and "botter" for starters. Not enough fun?<br>> Try these
                types:

              • billnolen66
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 20 3:11 PM
                  Nels, I want this one!

                  _http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales/27561/zeeschouw-zilte-hinde/
                  _
                  (http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales/27561/zeeschouw-zilte-hinde/)

                  Bill Nolen
                  OKC

                  In a message dated 2/20/2013 4:31:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                  nelsarv@... writes:

                  Great photo. Some more photos here:

                  _http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales_
                  (http://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales)

                  Nels

                  --- In _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com) ,
                  Chris Parker
                  wrote:

                  > Do a google search for
                  "boeier" and "botter" for starters. Not enough fun?
                  > Try these
                  types:

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 20 9:00 PM
                    Sweet! I translated some of it. The hull is steel. But did not quite
                    completely understand this comment?
                    "The sails are made of thick dacron. The mast is easy to iron using the
                    drizzle."

                    Nels:-)

                    I want this one!