MORE Re: [Michalak] Re: Water Ballast Bags

  • Andres Espino
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 15, 2013
      I also found these food grade water storage bags online useful for drinking water and for balasncing loads.

      http://www.water-storage-tank.com/water-bags.html

      Andrew

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 15, 2013
        Box wine comes in food grade bags, & you get the wine too!

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 15, 2013
          Nels you can get lead shot by the ton but it's still much more expensive than concrete.  http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Shot-s/64.htm
          I've been thinking about adding ballast in my Normsboat build.  I've been looking at Paul Fisher's designs to see how much I'd need.  He has a similar design, the Galloway 18, that calls for 650#.  Jim's Picara calls for 500#.  Both are self righting.

          Well, that's a boat load of weight to trailer around.  So maybe some weight to make it a little stiffer.  The 12x12x2 pavers run around 20# each and the 16x16x2 inch pavers run around 30# each.  What if I added a bridge deck in the cockpit.  I could easily squeeze 6 16x16 pavers inside.  Add sheet of ply over and some blocking to hold it in place and viola a quick 180# of ballast.  Something to think about.
          John Boy

          I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

          Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

          ________________________________

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy
          wrote:

          > I've given some thought to concrete pavers. They
          come in convient sizes and take up less volume than water. Pretty
          cheap, too.

        • Bob Cook
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 15, 2013
            A good source for lead is large tire company's if they will sell you balance lead.  The trouble I've found is they usually have a contract with large wholesale dealers for it and won't sell small amounts.  There are some pretty good deals on ebay for lead and you can ship a lot of it through the post office in the one price boxes.

            je ne sais quoi

          • john colley
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
              Ah the humble wine cask.(an Australian invention,,,LOL) YES! good idea,i've used them inflated,and or refilled with water.Plus,as you say you still get the wine.

              -Sigurd Olson

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
                Another idea - interlocking water bricks:-) I never found wine
                containers as easy to refill as they are to empty the first time.

                <http://www.waterbrick.org/water-storage.php?gclid=CPfH4qKUu7UCFSHZQgodJ\
                TgAOA>

                Nels
                wrote:<br>><br>> Ah the humble wine cask.(an Australian invention,,,LOL)

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
                  I have used wheel weights for things before but they are no longer lead but some other composit alloy.  I have melted down plates from old car batteries before too for things.. ity is lotsa work and you tend to get holes in clothing even if you flush it well before starting out.. so use old jeans  lol

                  Andrew

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
                    I don't know what America has done to the wine cask,,,but here the "spigott is readily removed.Just pops on or off.I pop it off part fill with water then rinse out.After that? well it depends on whether i want it as a camp pillow or water container

                    -Sigurd Olson

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley