Re: [Michalak] what all can be used for ballast-im thinking of using water??????????

  • John Boy
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 14, 2013
      Paul Fisher does in most of his designs.  http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/sf/index.htm
      John Boy

      I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

      Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

      ________________________________
      From: "rvwburg@..." <rvwburg@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:03 PM
      Subject: Re: [Michalak] what all can be used for ballast-im thinking of using water??????????

      has anybody ever used rebar and concrete?

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
        picara sailboat is the one i was thinking about using concrete and rebar---thinking about trying water ballast too!!

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
          One could make a form to fit the outer sole area of the utility room on Picara, say up to the top of the bilge panel and pour abt 4 concrete and steel concrete weights to be the ballast for each side of the utility room. You would still have the bottom of two bulheads to hang steel or lead on to bring the weight to the desired amount. Secure with bolted in place with 2 X 6 's so they could be removed for maintenance or to adjust ballast placement. Consider heavy timbers for the base of the two bulkheads on either end of the utility room, the ballast will be anchored there, 2 X stock at least 6 inch, maybe 8 or 10 inches wide. Weight wont matter that low down, since it is a ballasted boat.

          Just above the ballast, on both sides of the utility room there is otherwise unused room to place foam flotation. 6 inches to 12 inches deep 2 foot wide and abt 3 foot tall, this would = either 3 or 6 cubit foot of flotation. 180 or 360 pounds flotation on each side = 360 or 720 pounds counting both sides.

          I would do the 180 X 2 = 360 pounds and not add a pound more than that of ballast! Flotation being above the ballast the boat should float upright if swamped.

          You will need a step dn when comming into the cabin from the aft deck, make it a watertight battery box, vent the top, it will add flotation and a place for batteries as low down as possible to act as addition ballast, perhaps as much as 120 pounds for two batteries, make the box so two large marine batteries fit, even if you plan on a smaller battery or no battery at all. You need the step and the floatation.

          Consider a big water tight airbox aft of the footwwell under the aft deck. Access hatch on the front of the bulkhead instead of on the deck.

          A couple ice chest one on either side of the utility room, under a cooking shelf to keep them from floating up, secured!

          A couple storage boxes under the aft deck, port and starbord ( behind ones legs when seated with the legs in the footwell ), 1/4 in plywood, water tight, keep them back under the deck so spray or rain wont get into them, secured! Might come to as much as 4 cubic ft = 240 pounds flotation.

          Storage boxes and ice chest will act as additional floataion if swamped.

          A Strong cover for the slot top! They make 10 oz polytarp, and 20 oz tarps for trucks. prepare to secure it well enough to keep most of the water out in a knock dn. Even sliding hatches covered with heavy polytarp might work.

          Just ideas, I ve done some of them, but any boat can be made safer than it is with just the basic plans

          David Davis

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, rvwburg@... wrote:

          > picara sailboat is the one i was thinking about using concrete and rebar---thinking about trying water ballast too!!

        • Martin Houston
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
            In my ferrocement 45 ftr I used iron pigs & 2inX2in steel bars 8 to 10 ft long with rebar thrown in every so often set in cement. 4 ton of it. Bilge water intruded it rusting to top pieces cracking the cement. Chipped it away & sealed it with epoxy & glassed it over, worked good.

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
              A cubic foot of concrete weights around 144 pounds.  Maybe you could decide how much you want to trailer all the time and then use water ballast as trim or vary according to how much stuff you're packing for a trip.