Re: [Michalak] Birdwatcher -- Water tight windows

  • Gene Berry
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
      here is a cheaper way to do it. get some tinted plastic like the kind on a page protector (like you use for your term paper to make extra points with the teacher) rub it on your head, the static will keep it adhered to the window then at night peel it off. put it on the inside though obviously.

      Gene Berry

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
        My experience is with the Birdwatcher-2. I have no tint on the sides and gray tint built in on the top.

        While sailing, day or night, I would not want side tint. Rain, fog and evaporated salt spray all reduce the visibility, as it is.

        My only experience is in the Pacific Northwest, where blazing hot days are not common. But even when it is hot, the ventilation through the slot is good. The greenhouse effect is largely negated by the air flow. Hot air either rises. All this reduces the need for side tint.

        So, I do not use any shade when sailing, day or night.

        But different climates could cause a different view of this.

        But, at night, either anchor out, or get curtains! All that window really makes you visible at the dock.

        Bob
        "Wave Watcher"

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "sharpie3444" wrote:

        > Looking for some feedback from those who have sailed IMB and JB jr. I like night sailing and think the tint in the plexiglass may be too much to see through at night. Would clear plexiglass with greenhouse shade material as a currtain outside the window be an option. Curtain to be raised as needed. would have to figure out a way to control the curtain.
        >
        > Curtain from greenhouse shade cloth
        >
        > http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/s?keyword=shade+cloth
        >
        > David Davis

      • JeffreyM
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
          I have gray tinted windows in my JB Jr. 50% reduction, if I remember. I have done a couple of night sails, and find that I needed to pop my head out the slot frequently--although lights showed the obvious hazards, anything unlit and low in the water was invisible through the plexi. One possible compromise would be to leave front windows clear.