Re: [Michalak] Re: Cross post- Thompson's and epoxy

  • john colley
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
      I hate local names for timber ! .In Aust most,if not ALL pine is Pinus radiata also known as monterey pine.Hardwoods are invariably GUM trees or eucalyptus.Our Tasmanian oak is same as alpine ash.Both are eucalyptus.If you buy timber from a "hardware store " then that is what you get.Either pinas radiata or a eucalyptus.I read of all these timbers you have at your disposal and wonder why we don't have that range here

      -Sigurd Olson

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
        i considered pre finishing plywood panels and parts with epoxy resin before and during assembly, leaving edges and areas to be glued bare for better glue adhesion

        To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
          Coating is best done while all the panels are flat on saw horses. (Note:
          applying a layer of fiberglass to flat panels is easier than on the finished
          boat, but the fiberglass will stiffen the panel significantly and the
          resulting panel may be too stiff to bend in place. This will require the use
          of a heat gun to remove the fiber glass, much sanding and a significant
          amount of profanity!) Many people advocate the application of two or three
          coats of epoxy with sanding between each coat. (The sanding will be easier
          if you scrub the amine blush off with soap and water and a plastic
          'Scrubby'.)If the areas to be glued are scuffed up with sand paper, they
          will adhere as well as bare wood. The edges of the panels are not usually
          glued to anything and can be sealed during the coating process.

          There is a school of thought which suggests that a) scratches are likely to
          penetrate the epoxy surface during the life of the boat, allowing water in
          and producing rot and b) most home built boats have limited life spans, so
          there is no need to 'encapsulate' the plywood. Therefore, application of
          multiple layers of epoxy is needlessly time consuming and expensive. I've
          done both coated and uncoated and, so far, none of my boats has rotted out.

          JohnT

          To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
            I've considered precoating everything with epoxy and 2 oz glass but I'm not building something as yachty as that.  I'm building to work boat standard.  I am planning to follow Reuel Parker's lead and seal it up with epoxy paint inside and out.  I'll just scruff it up and paint over it on the outside with some poly or enamel.

            Before everyone jumps on the epoxy chalks bandwagon.  I spent a summer in my youth as a dockhand in a marina; ran a forklift with 14 foot forks that would hold 30,000 pounds 30 feet in the air, chipped and painted bottoms, pumped out tourists boats on rainy days, swept and mopped, ran the dredge, and cleaned the $hitters.  I can testify, every finish chalks and fades in the Florida sun.

            Parker builds sharpies up to 45 feet and larger.  He seals the insides with Sherwin Williams Tileclad #2 epoxy paint.  If it'll work on a 45 footer, it'll kick azz on an 18 footer.
            Just sayin,

            To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
              If you're looking for something really bullet proof/work boat, consider
              getting the inside of your boat sprayed with the stuff they use to soat pick
              up truck beds.

              JohnT

              _____

              To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dwforum%40yahoogroups.com> ;
              Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                I tried that before and in my case the resin made the ply so stiff it was hard to bend it around curves to proper shape.  Might work better for you if you do not have to flex it much.

                Andrew

                To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                  I pre-coated the panels on Jani J with 2 coats of epoxy resin & installed them with epoxy glue within 24 hrs. The sides & decks were going against insulation & the bottom against stringers. Everything primary bonds except primer & paint on the bottom between the stringers. Seems to be working well, no problems in 3 years.
                  Martin

                  To: mailto:dwforum%40yahoogroups.com; mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com