Re: what all can be used for ballast-im thinking of using water??????????

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 7, 2013
      I have been thinking about this as well since Picara is one of my
      favourite designs much like Bolger's Long Micro in both design and size
      and capability without the heavy keel.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/picara/index.htm

      OK Fatcat2 is unballasted and seems to function quite well and Picara
      has a ft. wider beam. My question is - depending on where you sail or
      how far off-shore you intend to go - is it REALLY required it has to
      self-right from a 90 degree knock-down?

      My thinking is to add an extra layer to the bottom and try it out like
      that. Then during trails - including a tip-over trail - using the
      halyard to see how much force it takes to bring it over to about 45
      degrees then add ballast to get it where it seems safe. Perhaps some
      steel bars attached to the bulkheads like Jim uses on some of this
      larger sharpies, and/or batteries/sand bags, water jugs/stores secured
      under the bunks or wherever.

      A friend I know who had a Long Micro almost always starts out with a
      reef in the main as it is easier to shake one out than add one and winds
      generally perk up once you get away from shore. Ease of reefing is
      almost as important as adding ballast. So how about a full-length batten
      at each reef point and adding lazy jacks? Just ease the halyard and drop
      a batten down to the boom? Reef early and often is an old sailing saw.

      Bolger suggests in his similar designs the best option once things get
      windy is to send the crew below to lie down in the weather bunk rather
      than hang off the rail. Safer and just as effective if not more so.

      You do have to add enough ballast to get the upper chine low enough
      though to add stability. A final thought is how Jim designed the way to
      add the external lead shoe to the bottom of Darcy Bryn.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/darcybryn/index.htm

      I don't think Picara will work well with a lug main though as the mast
      is too far forward for a lug and it is already in a good location to
      have a tabernacle located in the self-draining forward well.

      As mentioned - if deciding on a lug main and water ballast - the better
      choice would be Blobster or maybe Caroline?

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, rvwburg@... wrote:

      > building the picara.checking out different ballast

      wanting ballast for, and the kinds of load and sailing your are thinking
      of doing in it. All this context has a big influence on what kinds of
      ballast solutions will be most appropriate.

      > Sincerely,
      > Roger

    • john colley
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 8, 2013
        my thoughts.I sail a Hartley ts16.It has been know to recover from 110degrees.(tip of mast only a foot above the water) But,,,if it does "go over" it is usually not self recoverable.Mine likes to heel at around 15Degrees and sit there.When it is pushed beyond that i start to worry.I would love a boat that is recoverable from 90.as in a knock down. if mine gets knocked down? it STAYS knocked down

        -Sigurd Olson

        ________________________________
        I have been thinking about this as well since Picara is one of my
        favourite designs much like Bolger's Long Micro in both design and size
        and capability without the heavy keel.

        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/picara/index.htm

        OK Fatcat2 is unballasted and seems to function quite well and Picara
        has a ft. wider beam. My question is - depending on where you sail or
        how far off-shore you intend to go - is it REALLY required it has to
        self-right from a 90 degree knock-down?

        My thinking is to add an extra layer to the bottom and try it out like
        that. Then during trails - including a tip-over trail - using the
        halyard to see how much force it takes to bring it over to about 45
        degrees then add ballast to get it where it seems safe. Perhaps some
        steel bars attached to the bulkheads like Jim uses on some of this
        larger sharpies, and/or batteries/sand bags, water jugs/stores secured
        under the bunks or wherever.

        A friend I know who had a Long Micro almost always starts out with a
        reef in the main as it is easier to shake one out than add one and winds
        generally perk up once you get away from shore. Ease of reefing is
        almost as important as adding ballast. So how about a full-length batten
        at each reef point and adding lazy jacks? Just ease the halyard and drop
        a batten down to the boom? Reef early and often is an old sailing saw.

        Bolger suggests in his similar designs the best option once things get
        windy is to send the crew below to lie down in the weather bunk rather
        than hang off the rail. Safer and just as effective if not more so.

        You do have to add enough ballast to get the upper chine low enough
        though to add stability. A final thought is how Jim designed the way to
        add the external lead shoe to the bottom of Darcy Bryn.

        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/darcybryn/index.htm

        I don't think Picara will work well with a lug main though as the mast
        is too far forward for a lug and it is already in a good location to
        have a tabernacle located in the self-draining forward well.

        As mentioned - if deciding on a lug main and water ballast - the better
        choice would be Blobster or maybe Caroline?

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, rvwburg@... wrote:

        > building the picara.checking out different ballast

      • sharpie3444
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 8, 2013
          Nels, whay do you think of a sprit to hold the peak of Picara s main sail up. I may give that a try?

          David Davis

        • rvwburg@att.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 14, 2013
            has anybody ever used rebar and concrete?

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 14, 2013
              Paul Fisher does in most of his designs.  http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/sf/index.htm
              John Boy

              I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

              Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
                picara sailboat is the one i was thinking about using concrete and rebar---thinking about trying water ballast too!!

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
                  One could make a form to fit the outer sole area of the utility room on Picara, say up to the top of the bilge panel and pour abt 4 concrete and steel concrete weights to be the ballast for each side of the utility room. You would still have the bottom of two bulheads to hang steel or lead on to bring the weight to the desired amount. Secure with bolted in place with 2 X 6 's so they could be removed for maintenance or to adjust ballast placement. Consider heavy timbers for the base of the two bulkheads on either end of the utility room, the ballast will be anchored there, 2 X stock at least 6 inch, maybe 8 or 10 inches wide. Weight wont matter that low down, since it is a ballasted boat.

                  Just above the ballast, on both sides of the utility room there is otherwise unused room to place foam flotation. 6 inches to 12 inches deep 2 foot wide and abt 3 foot tall, this would = either 3 or 6 cubit foot of flotation. 180 or 360 pounds flotation on each side = 360 or 720 pounds counting both sides.

                  I would do the 180 X 2 = 360 pounds and not add a pound more than that of ballast! Flotation being above the ballast the boat should float upright if swamped.

                  You will need a step dn when comming into the cabin from the aft deck, make it a watertight battery box, vent the top, it will add flotation and a place for batteries as low down as possible to act as addition ballast, perhaps as much as 120 pounds for two batteries, make the box so two large marine batteries fit, even if you plan on a smaller battery or no battery at all. You need the step and the floatation.

                  Consider a big water tight airbox aft of the footwwell under the aft deck. Access hatch on the front of the bulkhead instead of on the deck.

                  A couple ice chest one on either side of the utility room, under a cooking shelf to keep them from floating up, secured!

                  A couple storage boxes under the aft deck, port and starbord ( behind ones legs when seated with the legs in the footwell ), 1/4 in plywood, water tight, keep them back under the deck so spray or rain wont get into them, secured! Might come to as much as 4 cubic ft = 240 pounds flotation.

                  Storage boxes and ice chest will act as additional floataion if swamped.

                  A Strong cover for the slot top! They make 10 oz polytarp, and 20 oz tarps for trucks. prepare to secure it well enough to keep most of the water out in a knock dn. Even sliding hatches covered with heavy polytarp might work.

                  Just ideas, I ve done some of them, but any boat can be made safer than it is with just the basic plans

                  David Davis

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, rvwburg@... wrote:

                  > picara sailboat is the one i was thinking about using concrete and rebar---thinking about trying water ballast too!!

                • Martin Houston
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
                    In my ferrocement 45 ftr I used iron pigs & 2inX2in steel bars 8 to 10 ft long with rebar thrown in every so often set in cement. 4 ton of it. Bilge water intruded it rusting to top pieces cracking the cement. Chipped it away & sealed it with epoxy & glassed it over, worked good.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 15, 2013
                      A cubic foot of concrete weights around 144 pounds.  Maybe you could decide how much you want to trailer all the time and then use water ballast as trim or vary according to how much stuff you're packing for a trip.