Re: [Michalak] Re: Cross post- Thompson's and epoxy

  • John Boy
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
      Reuel Parker talks about it in his sharpie book.  It's ok to use if you let it dry for a month or two before you use it.  It does have a high moisture content and will warp like crazy if not dried correctly or cut when wet.
      John Boy

      I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

      Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
        I have used pressure treated lumber and plywood in rough outdoor
        projects like a boat cradle and canoe rack for example and it is
        horrible stuff in my experience and would never use it on a boat build.
        What we get here is fir or hemlock for the most part and both check
        badly of course. The lumber cracks in places as I think it has been
        over-cooked.

        I guess it is hard to procure MDO down in your area of the country? That
        would be my choice without a doubt. Never checks and is paintable as it
        comes. The 5/8" stuff I got even had the edges sealed from the factory
        with something. The crezon is guaranteed for something like 20 years for
        highway signs painted to their recommendations. The best comes from WA
        state, but their are off-shore imitations out there nowadays I here. Has
        to be stamped made in USA or here Canada.

        The secret to me - that keeps out rot - is in the glue lines that hold
        the plywood and other parts together. Microbes can't get past well
        manufactured or applied glue lines. More glue-lines the better which
        also means better wood layers as cheap wood doesn't slice as thin in the
        plywood manufacturing. And the overlay in MDO is like a well applied
        glue line on each surface.
        The other thing is I would consider is taped seamed construction over
        chine logs. Jim explains why in his build book. Chine logs are almost
        always the first thing to get moisture and microbe damage. The next is
        the wales and should be made so they overlap the top edges of the
        plywood and sealed in epoxy as well. Or else add a cap rail.
        My personal choice if living in Florida would be a Blobster.

        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/blobster/index.htm

        Miles had a really nice Bolger Micro but considers his Blobster superior
        to it. Ease of launching and recovery of course being a major factor.
        Built with 3/8" MDO I would think would last a long time. What you spend
        in plywood you would save in epoxy costs and work - only needing glass
        up to the waterline. Add some graphite to that.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

        > Reuel Parker talks about it in his sharpie book. Â It's ok to use
        if you let it dry for a month or two before you use it. Â It does
        have a high moisture content and will warp like crazy if not dried
        correctly or cut when wet.
        > John Boy
        >

        > I have a blog! Â http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/
        >
        > “Seaward ho! Hang the treasure! It's the glory of the sea that
        has turned my head.”Â

        > Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

      • john colley
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
          interesting.It's usually bone dry here.

          -Sigurd Olson

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
            Pretty much all of the pressure treated wood in Florida is southern yellow pine.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
              I hate local names for timber ! .In Aust most,if not ALL pine is Pinus radiata also known as monterey pine.Hardwoods are invariably GUM trees or eucalyptus.Our Tasmanian oak is same as alpine ash.Both are eucalyptus.If you buy timber from a "hardware store " then that is what you get.Either pinas radiata or a eucalyptus.I read of all these timbers you have at your disposal and wonder why we don't have that range here

              -Sigurd Olson

              ________________________________

              Pressure treated lumber is no different to any other,just DON't burn it.The copper,chrome Arsenic is pretty stable,oh yeah,,,don't eat it either.when dried it will hold paint or anything else for that matter.the treatment is water based.

              -Sigurd Olson

              ________________________________
              http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&spell=1&q=antifreeze+rot+prevention&sa=X&ei=eYESUciuFYne9ASovoCoBw&ved=0CCwQBSgA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41934586,d.eWU&fp=63ed92df575db86d&biw=1280&bih=617

              Another is additives to latex paint

              http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=antifungal+additives+paints&oq=antifungal+additives&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i30l3j0i8.2141.6876.2.12938.10.10.0.0.0.0.400.1163.8j0j1j0j1.10.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.2.hp.re2ki5EtIxM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41934586,d.eWU&fp=63ed92df575db86d&biw=1280&bih=617

              Whatever you decide to try I would do a test run, apply, let dry then make a epoxy bond and test its strength.

              I still don't know if some of the treated lunbers can be glued with epoxy, worth a test! If you use treated lumber to build frames you might want to seal it well with epoxy and primer before the topcoats to keep the chemicials in place.

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

              > My next build is going to be a JM Normsboat.  Unfortunately, this time it's going to be a buck-a-board affair instead of a power build.  Since I live in Florida, the land of mold and mildew, I'm looking into ways to prevent the onset of rot before I put finish on the hull.
              >
              > Does anyone have any experience with a penetrating sealer like Thompson's Water Seal under epoxy?  Thompson's has water based and oil based products, which has worked for you?  BTW the websites say it's "contains a silicone micro-emulsion which prevents water penetration."
              > John Boy
              >

              > I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/
              >
              > “Seaward ho! Hang the treasure! It's the glory of the sea that has turned my head.”
              >
              > Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

            • daniel brown
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                i considered pre finishing plywood panels and parts with epoxy resin before and during assembly, leaving edges and areas to be glued bare for better glue adhesion

                To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                  Coating is best done while all the panels are flat on saw horses. (Note:
                  applying a layer of fiberglass to flat panels is easier than on the finished
                  boat, but the fiberglass will stiffen the panel significantly and the
                  resulting panel may be too stiff to bend in place. This will require the use
                  of a heat gun to remove the fiber glass, much sanding and a significant
                  amount of profanity!) Many people advocate the application of two or three
                  coats of epoxy with sanding between each coat. (The sanding will be easier
                  if you scrub the amine blush off with soap and water and a plastic
                  'Scrubby'.)If the areas to be glued are scuffed up with sand paper, they
                  will adhere as well as bare wood. The edges of the panels are not usually
                  glued to anything and can be sealed during the coating process.

                  There is a school of thought which suggests that a) scratches are likely to
                  penetrate the epoxy surface during the life of the boat, allowing water in
                  and producing rot and b) most home built boats have limited life spans, so
                  there is no need to 'encapsulate' the plywood. Therefore, application of
                  multiple layers of epoxy is needlessly time consuming and expensive. I've
                  done both coated and uncoated and, so far, none of my boats has rotted out.

                  JohnT

                  To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                    I've considered precoating everything with epoxy and 2 oz glass but I'm not building something as yachty as that.  I'm building to work boat standard.  I am planning to follow Reuel Parker's lead and seal it up with epoxy paint inside and out.  I'll just scruff it up and paint over it on the outside with some poly or enamel.

                    Before everyone jumps on the epoxy chalks bandwagon.  I spent a summer in my youth as a dockhand in a marina; ran a forklift with 14 foot forks that would hold 30,000 pounds 30 feet in the air, chipped and painted bottoms, pumped out tourists boats on rainy days, swept and mopped, ran the dredge, and cleaned the $hitters.  I can testify, every finish chalks and fades in the Florida sun.

                    Parker builds sharpies up to 45 feet and larger.  He seals the insides with Sherwin Williams Tileclad #2 epoxy paint.  If it'll work on a 45 footer, it'll kick azz on an 18 footer.
                    Just sayin,

                    To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                      If you're looking for something really bullet proof/work boat, consider
                      getting the inside of your boat sprayed with the stuff they use to soat pick
                      up truck beds.

                      JohnT

                      _____

                      To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dwforum%40yahoogroups.com> ;
                      Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                        I tried that before and in my case the resin made the ply so stiff it was hard to bend it around curves to proper shape.  Might work better for you if you do not have to flex it much.

                        Andrew

                        To: dwforum@yahoogroups.com; Michalak@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 10, 2013
                          I pre-coated the panels on Jani J with 2 coats of epoxy resin & installed them with epoxy glue within 24 hrs. The sides & decks were going against insulation & the bottom against stringers. Everything primary bonds except primer & paint on the bottom between the stringers. Seems to be working well, no problems in 3 years.
                          Martin

                          To: mailto:dwforum%40yahoogroups.com; mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com