Re: Mizzen for Piccup Pram

  • JeffreyM
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 19, 2013
      I'll likely go with very narrow darts--I want some shape, but not too much strain on the snotter to flatten it out.

      Contemplating the mess in the basement; a Piccup project might be just the thing to motivate me to clean it up. Now I'm wondering what the thinking is on mizzen mast placement: I've seen photos of a mizzen stepped off the transom corner. But I'd think the best thing to do is get it as close to centerline as practical; in my case, to port of the rudder, since my main boom and yard are on that side of the mainmast. That way the main never blankets it close-hauled. Opinions?

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" wrote:

      > No darts. A mizzen sail pretty much has to be kept flat, otherwise it
      > slats and flutters noisily when hove to or at anchor. I think the foot
      > should be straight as well, as it has a self-vanging effect that way
      > helping in keeping the leech tight and again preventing flutter. You
      > loosen the snotter a bit when off the wind and it will take some shape
      > that way.
      >
      > Leech flutter can also happen if the sprit boom is too low on the mast.
      > Technically it should dissect the angle between the foot and the leech.
      > So it would attach about where the 6'8" figures are shown in Pehr's
      > diagram of Paul's sail. However if it is up that high and the boom is
      > longer to serve as a steering handle - as suggested by John - it may get
      > tangled up in the main boom when tacking. That is why some mizzens have
      > the mast sloping aft to avoid conflict.
      >
      > Best guy to talk to is Polysail Dave as he is the expert. He has his own
      > discussion group.

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "JeffreyM" wrote:
      > >
      > > Pehr,
      > > What sort of darts would you put in that mizzen? I'm thinking it
      > might be fun to get out the polytarp! (Just have to decide if I'm
      > willing to make a mess of my aft deck and transom.)

    • Gene Berry
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 19, 2013
        I mounted Andy's Junk mizzen just port side of the rudder and it seems to work very well.

        Gene Berry