Glass Bottom Boat Ideas

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2013
      Looks to me that on these plans the window in the bottom is done much
      like the transparent panels in the Birdwatcher designs using fasteners
      and a sealing compound. Using thicker scratch-proof lexan though.
      Shows a "viewing cone" to seal out stray light and reflections.

      https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=905

      http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/glassbottom.html

    • sharpie3444
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2013
        Might be an interesting idea to work into the bottom of a 2 gal bailing bucket, bucket would be the viewing cone and also serve to bail. water proof led light lowered at night might find a flounder or such. Make your choice!

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" wrote:

        > Looks to me that on these plans the window in the bottom is done much
        > like the transparent panels in the Birdwatcher designs using fasteners
        > and a sealing compound. Using thicker scratch-proof lexan though.
        > Shows a "viewing cone" to seal out stray light and reflections.
        >
        > https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=905
        >
        > http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/glassbottom.html

      • Andres Espino
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2013
          COOL IDEA!

          I remember as a kid in Boy Scouts we built bottom viewers of 4 boards sealed and made into a long hollow square tube about 2 feet long with glass in the end.  We could hold it over the side of a boat and see what was down there.  I like the bucket idea.

          Andrew

          ________________________________
          Might be an interesting idea to work into the bottom of a 2 gal bailing bucket, bucket would be the viewing cone and also serve to bail. water proof led light lowered at night might find a flounder or such. Make your choice!

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" wrote:

          > Looks to me that on these plans the window in the bottom is done much
          > like the transparent panels in the Birdwatcher designs using fasteners
          > and a sealing compound. Using thicker scratch-proof lexan though.
          > Shows a "viewing cone" to seal out stray light and reflections.
          >
          > https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=905
          >
          > http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/glassbottom.html

        • Grant
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2013
            Here's a photo of one I built for grandson:

            http://www.grantmaclaren.com/mostly/pages/08.html

            I also put a glass panel in an early wood kayak.
            Hint -- put it between your legs, so when you bend over,
            it's in your shadow. Works great!

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino wrote:

            > COOL IDEA!
            >
            > I remember as a kid in Boy Scouts we built bottom viewers of 4 boards sealed and made into a long hollow square tube about 2 feet long with glass in the end.  We could hold it over the side of a boat and see what was down there.  I like the bucket idea.
            >
            > Andrew
            >

            > ________________________________

          • shooter1941
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2013
              I thought about installing a glas viewing window in the bottom of my rowboat.
              Here are the instructions I found on how to do it.

              Two 3-foot-by-3-foot picture frames

              3-foot-by-3-foot safety glass

              Instructions
              1 Lay a 3-foot-by-3-foot picture frame on a flat surface. The picture frames must be flat wood picture frames for the project to work. Each picture frame will have a 1/2-inch ledge where the picture and glass would normally sit.

              2 Set a 3-foot-by-3-foot pane of safety glass on top of the picture frame. Draw a line on the glass to have a 1/2-inch overlap with the inside of the picture frame with a permanent marker.

              3 Cut the glass with the glass cutter along the line drawn with the permanent marker.

              4 Measure and draw a square area on the bottom of the boat that is 2 feet, 11 inches by 2 feet, 11 inches. Drill holes at the four corners of the square.

              5 Cut the boards from the bottom of the boat along the square using the jig saw.

              6 Place a line of waterproof caulk along the edge of the hole. Set the first of the picture frames onto the line of caulk with the side containing the 1/2-inch ledge facing up. As the picture frame should be 1 inch in width, the inside measurements should be 2 feet, 11 inches by 2 feet, 11 inches. Make sure to line the picture frame perfectly with the hole in the boat bottom.

              7 Screw this picture frame into the boat hull with 1-inch screws and the drill. The screws should be spaced 4 inches from each other all along the picture frame. Mark, on the deck of the boat, a small dot where the screws are placed.

              8 Place waterproof caulk along the ledge where the glass will go. Then set the glass onto the ledge and press firmly allowing the caulk to bulge up around the glass. As the glass is thicker than normal picture frame glass, it will rise slightly above the picture frame.

              9 Place waterproof caulk on the glass and picture frame. Set the second picture frame, with the ledge facing down, on top of the glass. Drill 1-inch screws into the picture frame in between the spaces where the earlier frame was drilled and the deck was marked. The glass bottom boat is now operational.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2013
                YUP that is exactly the project we scouts built.
                Thankd for the cool photo.

                Andrew