Re: [Michalak] Re: FROM LADYBUG TO FAMILY SKIFF?

  • Anders Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
      Simple "adhesive caulk" would probably not be enough if the Plexiglass was
      stepped on hard from the inside. The 3M 5200 might be enough. Some kind of
      inside cover might be sensible insurance.

      Anders

      On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Anders Bjorklund <andersbjorklund5@...
      > wrote:

      > Something inside might be a good idea too, as most polycarbonates are
      > easily scratched.

    • Doug Hall
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
        hey guys , if you put a window in the bottom it really needs to go in a locker so that is in a dark place other wise ambienent light causes to much reflection making it hard to see thru . that also keeps it safe from feet & scratches . good luck on your build

        ________________________________
        Simple "adhesive caulk" would probably not be enough if the Plexiglass was
        stepped on hard from the inside. The 3M 5200 might be enough. Some kind of
        inside cover might be sensible insurance.

        Anders

        On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Anders Bjorklund andersbjorklund5@...
        > wrote:

        > Something inside might be a good idea too, as most polycarbonates are
        > easily scratched.

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
          Here's the great William Jackson's take on clear panels in the flat
          bottom of one of the cutest bowed little DIY dinghy you ever saw.
          That there are two windows allows the whole boat extra strength while
          hedging potential damage.
          http://svensons.com/boat/?p=Utility/GlassBottom

          Family Skiff is definitely more family boat than Ladybug, but neither
          they nor Darcy Bryn have much in way of flat bottom. Big portlights
          in the bilge panel either side, even if you must heel over to use
          them, may be entertaining enough for some.
          Mark

        • Anders Bjorklund
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
            Good point. But if an enclosed location isn't available, I suppose a fabric
            cover of some sort tossed over your head could be positioned to block out
            reflections.

            Anders