Re: FROM LADYBUG TO FAMILY SKIFF?

  • rogerinthedr
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
      Nels,

      Yes, Caroline was another of the highly recommended boats for us down here. I love the way she looks too. The boat that really has my eye right now is Jim's DarcyBryn. I love the shapely hull, and the arrangement of things in that one. I wish he would design it to be about 17 feet long and 6 1/2 to 7 feet wide. I think it would be the perfect boat.

      Yes, I live in the Dominican Republic. I live on the southern coast in the city of Barahona. I would love to put a transparent piece of glass/plexiglass in a home built boat, but I don't have a clue what to use, or how to install it. Is there any guide for something like this that I can read. Our waters are crystal clear, and something like this would be very cool for us.

      Roger

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" wrote:

      > Roger,
      > I wasn't sure what the DR stood for and then realized the Dominican
      > Republic right? Couple photos of Native boats:
      >

      > http://phyllisrapp.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/native-boat-in-dominican-\
      > republic.jpg

      antiago-dominican-republic-liberal-arts-study-abroad-program-boats-185.j\
      > pg>
      >

      > I can see that the Family Skiff might be maybe even better. And if
      > motoring a lot maybe even Dani Jay?

      lic-punta-cana-sightseeing1.jpg>

      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/dani_jay/index.htm
      >
      > And if small children invvolved my choice would be Caroline hands down.
      > Maybe with a transparent section in the bottom:-)
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/caroline/index.htm
      >
      > Nels
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "rogerinthedr" wrote:
      > >
      > > I am still a wannabe sailor, so take this recommendation as such. I
      > asked Jim Michalak which of his designs would be good for my coastal
      > sailing here in the DR. The family skiff was one of the designs he
      > recommended. I noticed he recommended mostly boats that were not flat
      > bottomed. I think the family skiff would be a much better choice for
      > you than Lady Bug.
      > > Roger
      > >
      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fausto.stocco" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > In my previous post I asked about seaworthiness of ladybug.
      > > > I would like your opinion about differences between ladybug and
      > family skiff. The last weights 100 pounds more. Does it make a big
      > difference in security or seaworthiness? I was impressed by Stan
      > Roberts reports about Family Skiff performance. Do you think the same
      > skipper could get similar perfomances from Ladybug (Stan opinion
      > required here if possible).
      > > > More important: considering family on board, do you consider Family
      > Skiff safer?
      > > > Than you in advance
      > > > Fausto

    • Anders Bjorklund
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
        Here is something for you Roger:

        http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/fitting_out/glass_bottomed.html

        Apparently "adhesive caulk", without fastenings, is enough to hold the
        Plexiglass in place. Something really tenacious (and nearly irreversible)
        like 3M 5200 Adhesive Sealant would almost certainly do it. Water pressure
        would work in it's favor, if the inside flange is reliable. I also notice
        they suggest adding rub strips on the outside to protect against abrasion.
        Something inside might be a good idea too, as most polycarbonates are
        easily scratched.

        Anders

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
          Simple "adhesive caulk" would probably not be enough if the Plexiglass was
          stepped on hard from the inside. The 3M 5200 might be enough. Some kind of
          inside cover might be sensible insurance.

          Anders

          On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Anders Bjorklund <andersbjorklund5@...
          > wrote:

          > Something inside might be a good idea too, as most polycarbonates are
          > easily scratched.

        • Doug Hall
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
            hey guys , if you put a window in the bottom it really needs to go in a locker so that is in a dark place other wise ambienent light causes to much reflection making it hard to see thru . that also keeps it safe from feet & scratches . good luck on your build

            ________________________________
            Simple "adhesive caulk" would probably not be enough if the Plexiglass was
            stepped on hard from the inside. The 3M 5200 might be enough. Some kind of
            inside cover might be sensible insurance.

            Anders

            On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Anders Bjorklund andersbjorklund5@...
            > wrote:

            > Something inside might be a good idea too, as most polycarbonates are
            > easily scratched.

          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
              Here's the great William Jackson's take on clear panels in the flat
              bottom of one of the cutest bowed little DIY dinghy you ever saw.
              That there are two windows allows the whole boat extra strength while
              hedging potential damage.
              http://svensons.com/boat/?p=Utility/GlassBottom

              Family Skiff is definitely more family boat than Ladybug, but neither
              they nor Darcy Bryn have much in way of flat bottom. Big portlights
              in the bilge panel either side, even if you must heel over to use
              them, may be entertaining enough for some.
              Mark

            • Anders Bjorklund
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2013
                Good point. But if an enclosed location isn't available, I suppose a fabric
                cover of some sort tossed over your head could be positioned to block out
                reflections.

                Anders