Re: LADYBUG

  • fausto.stocco
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2013
      I agree thank you David.
      Fausto

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "sharpie3444" wrote:

      > Just opinion, because no one else has written. She should sail fine for her length, but a 200 pound boat's seaworthiness will depend greatly on the Skipper.I have not seen righting and reboarding reports but likely she is light enought to try to capsize when a 200 pound person trys to reboard her. I sound the caution because the body of water you talk of can build huge waves, rode a winter storm out there once on a 500 foot ship and we were taking green water over the bow. Think potected water only.
      >
      > David Davis
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fausto.stocco" wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear all, I am writing from Italy, my sailing is in the north adriatic sea between Italy and Croatia. It is not ocean, but it is coastal sailing.
      > > Looking for a camping boat I was considering Jim Michalack Ladybug, because of the light weight that helps when alone and the possibility to bring the family sometimes.
      > > I know Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks Magazine built and used it and that others are sailing the boat.
      > > I would appreciate your comments on ladybug performance and seaworthiness.
      > > Thank you very much!
      > > Fausto

    • fausto.stocco
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2013
        Anders, difficult to say something about weather at the beginning of march. Usually it is supposed to be around 8-10 degrees. Last year it was like that, the year before it was 3-4.
        I live in Modena, 200 km from Venice (even if I was born around there and I graduated in economics there in Venice), and 150 from Florence. If you come around Modena it will be a pleasure to host you.
        My best regards
        Fausto

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fausto.stocco" wrote:

        > Hello Anders, yes I have been through the net following all the threads about scamp. actually i know somebody is building a scamp near here in Italy. I agree with you all that answered that ladybug is a protected water project like almost every open boat. And I agree with you on that scamp should be the right "open" boat for coastal solo cruising. Just I was considering the matter of weight... but I think i'd better to decide upon my priorities...
        >
        > Thank you very much
        > Fausto
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Anders Bjorklund wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Fausto,
        > >
        > > Have you heard of the new "SCAMP" design by John Welsford? He is a New
        > > Zealander, who often sails in quite brisk coastal conditions. It is just
        > > short of 12 feet long (about 3.65 meters), but it sails very big for that
        > > size, and has already been gathering high praise for seaworthiness.
        > >
        > > Try searching for "welsford scamp" or "small craft advisor scamp".
        > >
        > > I think Chuck Leinweber also sells the plans through Duckworks. I hope it
        > > is not heretical to suggest a different designer on these pages, but Jim
        > > Michalak would be the first to say that his boats are intended for quite
        > > protected waters only.
        > >
        > > On a different topic: I will be in Venezia during the first week of March.
        > > Will the weather be pleasant then?
        > >
        > > Best regards,
        > > Anders
        > >
        > > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM, fausto.stocco wrote:
        > >
        > > > Dear all, I am writing from Italy, my sailing is in the north adriatic sea
        > > > between Italy and Croatia. It is not ocean, but it is coastal sailing.
        > > > Looking for a camping boat I was considering Jim Michalack Ladybug,
        > > > because of the light weight that helps when alone and the possibility to
        > > > bring the family sometimes.
        > > > I know Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks Magazine built and used it and that
        > > > others are sailing the boat.
        > > > I would appreciate your comments on ladybug performance and seaworthiness.
        > > > Thank you very much!
        > > > Fausto

      • Ned
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2013
          Ahoy Fausto,

          I believe that the hull and rig together total 250# (113kg+?); plus another 60-70#(27-32kg) for a marine battery and electric motor.

          Except for the intial launch, with the builder, I've only sailed single-handed. We discovered that day, that the designed 75 sqft lug sail was not quite enough for light winds. A year later, I had a 103 sqft lug sail stitched to fit the same spars (which were built longer than plan; and moved the original lug to a spare pair of Sunfish spars, cut to size. Now I have options, if the wind on the big lake is blowing up; there are, however, reef points on both sails.

          I HAVE used the Ladybug as an electric river launch, for picnicking with "herself." That worked out well.

          There is a photo on Duckworks -- http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/gatherings/duckworks/Index.htm -- of Chuck Leinweber's boat with three aboard, romping happily along with the designed 75 sqft sail. He must have had a good bit of wind that day.

          Ned

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fausto.stocco" wrote:

          > Thank uou Ned, I agree. How is it sailing alone and with people aboard. How much does it actually weight?
          > Regards
          > Fausto

        • Anders Bjorklund
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2013
            That's a very generous offer, Fausto. I will be traveling with several
            family members, and the itinerary is not yet certain. It likely never will
            be. But I will make note of your e-mail address, and perhaps we can meet if
            we do travel near Modena. It would be fun to say hello, and talk a bit
            about sailboats.

            Ciao for niao!
            Anders

            On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM, fausto.stocco <stoccofausto@...>wrote:

            > Anders, difficult to say something about weather at the beginning of
            > march. Usually it is supposed to be around 8-10 degrees. Last year it was
            > like that, the year before it was 3-4.
            > I live in Modena, 200 km from Venice (even if I was born around there and
            > I graduated in economics there in Venice), and 150 from Florence. If you
            > come around Modena it will be a pleasure to host you.
            > My best regards
            > Fausto

          • fausto.stocco
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 23, 2013
              If you come near Modena or Bologna, do not worry about accomodation!
              We usually host five members' family each summer coming from Germany.
              Regards
              Fausto

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Anders Bjorklund wrote:

              > That's a very generous offer, Fausto. I will be traveling with several
              > family members, and the itinerary is not yet certain. It likely never will
              > be. But I will make note of your e-mail address, and perhaps we can meet if
              > we do travel near Modena. It would be fun to say hello, and talk a bit
              > about sailboats.
              >
              > Ciao for niao!
              > Anders
              >
              > On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM, fausto.stocco wrote:
              >
              > > Anders, difficult to say something about weather at the beginning of
              > > march. Usually it is supposed to be around 8-10 degrees. Last year it was
              > > like that, the year before it was 3-4.
              > > I live in Modena, 200 km from Venice (even if I was born around there and
              > > I graduated in economics there in Venice), and 150 from Florence. If you
              > > come around Modena it will be a pleasure to host you.
              > > My best regards
              > > Fausto

            • matti.asikainen
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 28, 2013
                Hello Fausto,
                I received the plans for Ladybug and went to the site "building jim michalak´s ladybug" but couldn´t open the slide show and the flickr set only lead me to the registration. Do you think the slide show has been shut down or am I just so dum I can´t find my way round?
                greetings,
                Matti (como Mateo)

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fausto.stocco" wrote:

                > If you come near Modena or Bologna, do not worry about accomodation!
                > We usually host five members' family each summer coming from Germany.
                > Regards
                > Fausto
                >
                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Anders Bjorklund wrote:
                > >
                > > That's a very generous offer, Fausto. I will be traveling with several
                > > family members, and the itinerary is not yet certain. It likely never will
                > > be. But I will make note of your e-mail address, and perhaps we can meet if
                > > we do travel near Modena. It would be fun to say hello, and talk a bit
                > > about sailboats.
                > >
                > > Ciao for niao!
                > > Anders
                > >
                > > On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM, fausto.stocco wrote:
                > >
                > > > Anders, difficult to say something about weather at the beginning of
                > > > march. Usually it is supposed to be around 8-10 degrees. Last year it was
                > > > like that, the year before it was 3-4.
                > > > I live in Modena, 200 km from Venice (even if I was born around there and
                > > > I graduated in economics there in Venice), and 150 from Florence. If you
                > > > come around Modena it will be a pleasure to host you.
                > > > My best regards
                > > > Fausto

              • Murray
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Ahoy Fausto Again!

                  Chuck told me of Matti's difficulties in accessing my Flickr set of building my Ladybug. I got it fixed up and Matti and I have exchanged several emails.

                  I just saw this thread tonight. My build blog is at http://buildingladybug.wordpress.com

                  I have another blog about some of my adventures in it but I haven't added anything for quite a while. http://ugoigotoo.wordpress.com

                  I overbuilt my boat in the framing for the hatches but otherwise it is built to plan. I glassed the bottom from the first chine...the sides are just plywood. I used Meranti BS1088 marine ply which is fairly heavy but strong. I would say my boat is in the area of 300 pounds empty. It can easily be reboarded over the side without it tipping..although I have only done this while swimming and not after a capsize. I have capsized it intentionally and it rights very easily.

                  Whether it is appropriate for your conditions is impossible for me to say....I haven't pushed the envelope in it and have only been on the ocean with it a couple of times.

                  I can say that I have enjoyed having it immensely...it has been a great boat to learn to sail in as it is forgiving and quite beamy. We have used it fishing, swimming, camping, stargazing and meteor shower watching. It has even been pushed through the Canadian forest on a mini railway car lol

                  I have also been in Scamp #1 out in Port Townsend....Scamp is a great design and it would be far more seaworthy than a Ladybug. I have also had John Welsford sailing in my boat. John likes the Ladybug but if he sees this he could give you a better opinion of its capabilities and whether it would be appropriate for your intended use.

                  Cheers,

                  Murray

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Ned" wrote:

                  > Ahoy Fausto,
                  >
                  > I believe that the hull and rig together total 250# (113kg+?); plus another 60-70#(27-32kg) for a marine battery and electric motor.
                  >
                  > Except for the intial launch, with the builder, I've only sailed single-handed. We discovered that day, that the designed 75 sqft lug sail was not quite enough for light winds. A year later, I had a 103 sqft lug sail stitched to fit the same spars (which were built longer than plan; and moved the original lug to a spare pair of Sunfish spars, cut to size. Now I have options, if the wind on the big lake is blowing up; there are, however, reef points on both sails.
                  >
                  > I HAVE used the Ladybug as an electric river launch, for picnicking with "herself." That worked out well.
                  >
                  > There is a photo on Duckworks -- http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/gatherings/duckworks/Index.htm -- of Chuck Leinweber's boat with three aboard, romping happily along with the designed 75 sqft sail. He must have had a good bit of wind that day.
                  >
                  > Ned
                  >
                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "fausto.stocco" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank uou Ned, I agree. How is it sailing alone and with people aboard. How much does it actually weight?
                  > > Regards
                  > > Fausto

                • Giuliano Girometta
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2013
                    Ciao Fausto,
                    If you want to avoid all the complex construction of the Scamp, for your intended waters I think that Lady bug will be a good boat for the Venice Lagoon, but about Leghorn on the Tirrenian Sea, you need at least the Family Skiff or any other boat with double chine.

                    Giuliano