Re: AF 3 gaff rig

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
      If you want to rig a lug sail to a mast that is further forward than
      with a balance lug location, you can change it over to a standing lug.
      Hard to find a good way to do that though but it looks something like
      this.

      http://www.nestawayboats.com/page19.htm

      And this - in a high aspect ratio version.

      http://www.roxane-romilly.co.uk/

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:

      > Jim writes that AF2 and Normsboat sail are the same, just one rigged
      as a lug and one a gaff. My question is, could AF3's rig be made into a
      gaffer, Moving the mast to the center of the forward bulkhead and
      rigging the sail with gaff spars?

    • Andres Espino
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
        I think what he is asking is whether he can convert the boat entirely to a Gaffer and yes one can.

        Because the COE  (Center of Effort) is Different you can have either lug or gaff and a choice of many more sail designs on your AF3, but not all interchangeably.  You need to pick a rig and stay with it.  You cannot easily be a balanced lug today and a gaffer tomorrow and something else the next day.

        Because a Gaff sail attaches to the mast either in a track or spiral line loop, the mast needs to be positioned the same as a Bermuda or Marconi rig and not as far forward as a catboat rig.  Often spars are heavier on a Gaffer than on a balanced lug and most gaff rigs have  some standing rigging.. but usually not a backstay because it gets in the way of the upper spar.  There is usually one or two shrouds on either side anchored to a chainplate on the bulkhead or the gumwale of the boat.  Often there is a forestay to accommodate standard Jib Sails.. and you can even have roller reefing.  I have plans in my other groups how to make roller reefing that works well  for about $50.   I have made it for my Buccaneer 24.   My last sharpie was a Gaff rigged sloop.  I went on to add lazyjackls and full battens to my mainsail to make it almost as easy to reef on the run as a junk rig,, but without all those extra ropes.

        A rough idea of your COE is where the front luff of your sail is on your balanced lug rig. If your two spars and sail stick 18 inches ahead of the mast.. that is about how far forward the mast needs to go for a Gaff Rig.    It is better to err an inch or two too toward forward than too far aft.

        This is because a Gaff main also tends to be wide and short about the dimensions of a lug sail.  They are not tall sails so many sharpies have gaff rigs which fare well with a 22 foot main mast.  Gaff spars are far heavier than balanced lug sails.  An upper spar can weigh about 60 lbs or more on a 26ft boat... usually solid wood.  My boom was also solid wood and about 3 inches in diameter in the middle and tapered slightly and weighed about 100 lbs.  There is no reason why one cannot use lighter aluminum pipe to make your spars and aluminum for the mast also.  Mine used wood because it was a copy of a vintage wooden sharpie.

        This group does not support diagrams and pics within the text but I can give you a bit of gaff rig ideas with diagrams.  You can also make a decent polytarp gaff sail.

        Andrew