Re: [Michalak] Tiller Extension / Riser

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
      Yes. And adding a preventer means one has to steer that much less in
      the first place.
      Mark

      On Jan 5, 2013, at 5:11 AM, Gene Berry wrote:

      > Hi Okie,
      >
      > when i built my Yellow Birdwatcher Goose i used a lot of Jim's
      > ideas, my tiller came into the cabin like Caroline. if i wanted to
      > stand and steer i just had the tiller between my knees and steered
      > like that, worked very well. perhaps you could use that method?
      >
      > Gene Berry

    • Martin Houston
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
        If I had a cabin like that I think I would rig a wheel stearing setup similar to Weekender.

        ________________________________
        Yes. And adding a preventer means one has to steer that much less in
        the first place.
        Mark

        On Jan 5, 2013, at 5:11 AM, Gene Berry wrote:

        > Hi Okie,
        >
        >  when i built my Yellow Birdwatcher Goose i used a lot of Jim's
        > ideas, my tiller came into the cabin like Caroline. if i wanted to
        > stand and steer i just had the tiller between my knees and steered
        > like that, worked very well. perhaps you could use that method?
        >
        > Gene Berry

      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
          I learned to steer my Jewelbox, Jr. with my knees while standing. I used a
          Huntingford Helm Impeder set to allow steering, but hold the tiller
          wherever I left it. You'll find that you won't be steering while standing
          much while sailing, but steering with your knees works great while
          motoring.

          http://preview.tinyurl.com/impeder

          On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 03:48:53 -0800, okiebobby wrote:

          > While measuring and tinkering over the plans, I noticed that the handle
          > of Caroline's tiller is about 24" above the cabin floor. That's fine
          > while sitting, but while standing I would prefer to rest my hand on a
          > handle about 10" higher.
          >
          > I've seen tillers that rotate vertically from the rudder stock, but this
          > won't work on Caroline since the tiller is already located just below
          > the aft deck.

          John (jkohnen@...)
          Why should we take advice on sex from the Pope? If he knows
          anything about it, he shouldn't. (G. B. Shaw)
        • okiebobby@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
            Gene,

            Bill gave me a tour of the Yellow Goose yesterday. Very nice little boat!

            Bobby

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Gene Berry wrote:

            >  when i built my Yellow Birdwatcher Goose i used a lot of Jim's ideas, my tiller came into the cabin like Caroline. if i wanted to stand and steer i just had the tiller between my knees and steered like that, worked very well. perhaps you could use that method?
            >
            > Gene Berry
          • Dave Gentry
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@..." wrote:
              > While measuring and tinkering over the plans, I noticed that the >handle of Caroline's tiller is about 24" above the cabin floor. >That's fine while sitting, but while standing I would prefer to rest >my hand on a handle about 10" higher.

              You assuredly don't need a tiller extension joint that rises 10" from the tiller. Instead, you simply need a "universal" style joint between the two, which allows the extension to pivot in all directions - including up.
              The universal joint used on Laser class dinghies should work perfectly: http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/?p=details&ident=141175

              Good luck!
              Dave Gentry
            • john colley
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013
                I use a Ronstan "battlestick on my yacht.It is also telescopic.

                -Sigurd Olson

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013
                  John made the one in my boat, so I can say first hand it does work
                  beautifully.

                  Smoothly gets just the right tension to hold steady, then change
                  course with a mere swish of the wrist. It also allows a little drag
                  if you like, which helped me learning not to overwork the rudder.

                  Mine's a pretty short tiller, at least what's inside the cabin, about
                  perfect for having its end at my knees or within reach, sitting hands
                  free high in the hatch. For going forward standing and ready for
                  anything, John's rig is tops.
                  Mark