Re: Reefing a Lateen Rig

  • sharpie3444
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      Nice Pictures! I think the "Towel Rack" on the boom would allow it to slide fore and aft on the mast, along with the lateen haulyard and keeping the lateen agaist the mast with a bit of rope and beads, (parrels?) one could gain great control of a lateen sail .......... there must be a way, the arabs used gaint lateen for a 1000 years, must have worked for them. Tie down points might be added for the boom downhaul so that job could be down quickly, or even a bit of track with a lock to keep it in position.

      A lateen sail should be an easy build from polytarp. A dart at the Tack with the foot and luff rounded abt 3 inches and the leech hollow abt 2 inches should do it!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
        The "Towel Rack" looks like an excellent idea as well as a yard parrel!
        I think what you want to do is lower the yard when reefing rather than
        raise the boom to lessen weight aloft at a time when you want it lower
        not higher. Sliding the boom forward keeps the COE in the same location.

        There is another idea shown in this article and that is a simple boom
        vang, as well as some other ideas. Many people get upset when doing
        stuff like this saying it takes a simple sail plan and making it too
        complicated. But if you already have the sail why not? No major costs
        involved.

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/vintage/sbj/4/index.cfm

        If you use light poly tarp you don't even need a lot of shaping as it
        will stretch some after awhile. Reinforcing the reef cringles is maybe
        the main challenge.

        Nels

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
          Couple more diagrams of a reefing lateen rig drawn by Bolger.

          http://www.instantboats.com/zephyr.htm

          http://www.instantboats.com/pirateboat.htm

          Pirate Racer is much like the old Dhows of the of African and Indian
          coasts in that there is no boom and has brailing lines. Booms on these
          narrow hulls would hit the waves when sailing heeled over. So this would
          be another advantage of the "Towel Rack" as it would bring more of the
          extended boom inboard.

          Nels