Reefing a Lateen Rig

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      There are some photos at this link if you page down.

      http://www.wwpotterowners.com/Modification108.html

      I think the first reef with a Laguna is just drop the foresail. Or have
      a 3rd mast step centrally located and just use it with one sail if it
      looks like it is going to be a windy day. But having the mainsail
      reefable might be useful as well. It then acts as a mizzen.

    • sharpie3444
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
        Nice Pictures! I think the "Towel Rack" on the boom would allow it to slide fore and aft on the mast, along with the lateen haulyard and keeping the lateen agaist the mast with a bit of rope and beads, (parrels?) one could gain great control of a lateen sail .......... there must be a way, the arabs used gaint lateen for a 1000 years, must have worked for them. Tie down points might be added for the boom downhaul so that job could be down quickly, or even a bit of track with a lock to keep it in position.

        A lateen sail should be an easy build from polytarp. A dart at the Tack with the foot and luff rounded abt 3 inches and the leech hollow abt 2 inches should do it!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
          The "Towel Rack" looks like an excellent idea as well as a yard parrel!
          I think what you want to do is lower the yard when reefing rather than
          raise the boom to lessen weight aloft at a time when you want it lower
          not higher. Sliding the boom forward keeps the COE in the same location.

          There is another idea shown in this article and that is a simple boom
          vang, as well as some other ideas. Many people get upset when doing
          stuff like this saying it takes a simple sail plan and making it too
          complicated. But if you already have the sail why not? No major costs
          involved.

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/vintage/sbj/4/index.cfm

          If you use light poly tarp you don't even need a lot of shaping as it
          will stretch some after awhile. Reinforcing the reef cringles is maybe
          the main challenge.

          Nels

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
            Couple more diagrams of a reefing lateen rig drawn by Bolger.

            http://www.instantboats.com/zephyr.htm

            http://www.instantboats.com/pirateboat.htm

            Pirate Racer is much like the old Dhows of the of African and Indian
            coasts in that there is no boom and has brailing lines. Booms on these
            narrow hulls would hit the waves when sailing heeled over. So this would
            be another advantage of the "Towel Rack" as it would bring more of the
            extended boom inboard.

            Nels