Re: [Michalak] Re: Hatch(s) for bird watcher openings?

  • BGN5731@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2013
      Well, Bobby, the truth is the only three panel sliding hatch design I could
      come up with proved much too ugly, and much more trouble to build than I
      believed the end result would be worth.

      To get the three panels to slide together into one single panel would
      require three different heights of panels, each forming a stair-step to slide
      under the higher panel. So there would be a three fold difference in height
      between the first and last panel. Ugly to say the least!

      I decided to go with a two sliding hatch to cover the open slot. Still
      ugly, but one-third less so...I hope! <G>

      "_http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYGFront%20hatch%20with%20sliding%20
      hatch%20closed.jpg_
      (http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYGFront%20hatch%20with%20sliding%20hatch%20closed.jpg) "

      _http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Front%20hatch%20withsliding%20h
      atch%20open%20all%20the%20way.jpg_
      (http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Front%20hatch%20withsliding%20hatch%20open%20all%20the%20way.jpg)

      "_http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Rear%20hatch%20with%20sliding%
      20hatch%20open%20fully.jpg_
      (http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/AYG%20Rear%20hatch%20with%20sliding%20hatch%20open%20fully.jpg) "

      A three panel would be still 1/3rd taller! To Keep it somewhat rain proof,
      the higher panels need to be at the front of the boat so the sliding gap is
      facing aft. The panels look better facing the other way!

      Frankly, I made the hard cover sliding hatches because it interested me,
      and I had nothing else I wanted to mess with.

      However, Jim Michalak told me at the 2012 Sail Oklahoma Event, that almost
      everyone he knew, who has made hard panels for the slot, has returned to a
      soft cover. I believe the difficulty of properly storing the hard panels
      would most likely offset the value of having a sturdier roof. Plus a soft
      cover is much easier on your head when ducking under the panel to go forward,
      etc.! <G>

      I guess that what I'm trying to say is...if I was building a new boat I
      wouldn't alter the plans to provide storage for hard panels. In fact, I'd plan
      on using curved bows, and some light weigh water-proof material in lieu of
      hard sliding panels.

      Bobby, you might find it worth while to come over to my house,and play
      around with my two sliding roof panels. You might come up with a much better
      construction method for hard panels, or rethink the merits of a soft cover.

      Bill Nolen
      OKC

      In a message dated 12/31/2012 10:54:15 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      okiebobby@... writes:

      Bill, curious if you came up with a three piece version of Jeff's two
      piece hardtop?

      I'm leaning toward that route on my Caroline. If I build the top slot
      three inches narrower, while increasing the width of the starboard coach roof
      3", the hardcovers should just be able to stow on the starboard roof when
      not in use.

      I was thinking the middle cover would be twice as long as end covers, and
      sit high enough and wide enough to allow the end covers to slide under the
      middle cover.

      I haven't figured out how to get the end covers to slide under the middle
      cover when retracted, yet still be able to lock the end sections over the
      outside of the top washboard when extended. I'm hoping somebody here has an
      easy solution.

      --- In _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com) ,

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2013
        What I am wondering is having the higher section covering half the slot
        opening and placed centrally so a quarter of the opening is open at each
        end. Then a shorter section at each end that slides in and out out from
        under that central section and closes each end opening.

        The higher section overlaps the side rails has tabs at each end that
        fit into a groove along the lower outer edge of the rail so it can slide
        back and forth. The lower sections have tabs at each end that slide
        along a groove in the inside upper edge of the rail opening. And they
        slide out far enough to overlap the drop board at each end. The outer
        edge lies just atop the rail at each side and sheds water outside.

        Each lower section has another tab attached underneath at the
        centreline and this tab slides through a small slot in the drop board as
        it is closed completely. Each tab has a hole drilled through it's outer
        end and projects far enough through the slot that a padlock can be
        attached. It locks not only the sliding section but also the drop board
        into place.

        These tabs are probably best made from bronze flat plate and the the
        corners all rounded a bit. A bit of wax in the grooves and they should
        slide OK. I think making the tops from cedar strips like Dennis
        mentions or very thin bending plywood gives the lightest weight and can
        be crowned to shed water. They could be lined with foam as well for
        extra insulation and a gasket of some kind at each end of the higher
        section would hopefully keep out the water. The slots would have a drop
        pin of some kind at their ends so the covers can be removed altogether
        if desired but won't get slide off when you don't want them to.

        That still leaves the problem of getting around the mast though. Now
        with Jukebox3 that was solved by moving the mast forward ahead of the
        cabin altogether and then adding a mizzen to the stern to get the sail
        plan back into balance. But maybe there is another way of getting around
        the mast and still sealing it?

        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/jukebox3/index.htm

        So this would work best if you are doing a new build. Of course you also
        have to cut the grooves in the rails before they are installed. It is a
        major piece of work and requires accuracy when cutting and fitting, but
        maybe worth it if you trailer a lot or like the extra security or
        insulation when leaving the boat out on a trailer or mooring overnight.
        And like Bob Larkin mentions you can always leave them in the back of
        the van and go with a soft cover during nice weather.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, BGN5731@... wrote:

        > Well, Bobby, the truth is the only three panel sliding hatch design I
        could
        > come up with proved much too ugly, and much more trouble to build
        than I
        > believed the end result would be worth.

      • Andres Espino
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2013
          I am passing this along...

          For those of you like me who are sort of following the travels of Roger
          Taylor, skipper of a little junk-rigged 21ft Corribee called Mingming....

          Mingming makes it back to Whitehills after 3000 miles and 65 days at sea.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9Hxe6qZo8

          He has posted that latest video on his youtube channel and there are many previous ones as well     http://www.youtube.com/user/junkming

          Learn more at his website   www.thesimplesailor.com

          Hope you enjoy it...