Re: Mayfly 14/16 questions regarding rough vs protected water

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 30, 2012
      If building your first boat, the easiest is the the hard chine designs
      like Mayfly. Glue and nail to chine logs to get the hull shape. Boats
      like Wooboto have two chines which are secured together with wire loops
      and then completely secured with fibreglass tape and epoxy fillets.

      My thinking is to try the first method first - especially if you have
      Jim's build book - which includes full instructions and plans for
      several of his boats. Actually the stitch and glue method requires less
      accuracy in maintaining close tolerances as any gaps can be filled with
      an epoxy slurry and there are no bevels needed at the chines. More
      expensive to build due to the cost of epoxy. Generally more plywood
      bending required to get that bow cut-water shape so benefit from better
      plywood than the flattie shape.

      If you watched the videos, Jim states that Vireo was his best design and
      John Welsford confirms it is one of the best ones out there. Wooboto is
      based on that design as are several others including Caroline, Caprice,
      and Cormorant. Hard to imagine a better design to try if looking at a
      stitch and glue design to start with.

      Nels

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2013
        Scott,
        Great set of photos and the way you added deck beams looks like a good
        idea. This site is not set up to allow attachments to messages so what
        you did is the best way to keep them organized for future viewing. Look
        forward to seeing more.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "souderscott997" wrote:

        > I put some pictures into an album here under Scott's Wooboto. I just
        tried to show the way I made my decks a bit tougher so if I actually sat
        on them they would remain stiff. I still have not figured out how to
        attach a picture to an individual message here. Oh well ...I had never
        built a boat this time last year either ...so I'll figure it out.