Re: Mayfly 14/16 questions regarding rough vs protected water

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 30, 2012
      Jim explains quite vividly why he considers a design like Mayfly prone
      to broaching capsize in waves above Force 3-4. And not only the hull
      but the sail plan as well if soloing. Rather than post what he says I
      suggest members read it themselves as I consider his book a requirement
      if interested in his designs.

      This would be a far superior design in those conditions in my opinion.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/wooboto/index.htm

      But even better would be Caroline - with added mizzen, water ballast -
      and with a yuloh instead of oars. And was specifically designed for
      coastal cruising off Maine.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/caroline/index.htm

      But like I mentioned - ask 12 different people and you will likely get
      12 opinions. I would rather have a boat with off-shore capability even
      if I never go off-shore rather than going out in force 7 in a boat
      designed for sheltered waters. The reason is when crossing bays one
      doesn't have to hug the shore as much. Same when going around rocky
      points when the winds pick up.

      Nels

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2013
        Scott,
        Great set of photos and the way you added deck beams looks like a good
        idea. This site is not set up to allow attachments to messages so what
        you did is the best way to keep them organized for future viewing. Look
        forward to seeing more.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "souderscott997" wrote:

        > I put some pictures into an album here under Scott's Wooboto. I just
        tried to show the way I made my decks a bit tougher so if I actually sat
        on them they would remain stiff. I still have not figured out how to
        attach a picture to an individual message here. Oh well ...I had never
        built a boat this time last year either ...so I'll figure it out.