Re: [Michalak] Re: Mayfly 14/16 questions regarding rough vs protected water

  • john colley
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 30, 2012
      I agree with you on getting rough condition sailing experience.My wife and i own/sail a Hartley ts16 (it's a small boat/sheltered water sailer)We went with a good friend in his ts16.He has a fair bit of bad weather and solo experience.We deliberately went out in 25Knt winds with 30Knt bullets and rain,6 feet swell.We were on a close reach,full sails, sitting on 6Knts.The light hull skipped over the waves and never looked like getting trouble.We sailed from Sorrento to Queenscliffe across port philip bay across the heads.Return journey saw us drop the jib and put in one reef to the main.We surfed many a wave on our return and still held at 5Knts.The reason for all this??? To show my wife(and I) how safe the yacht was,and that when needed could be safely sailed home.I would try and sail with someone experienced in rough conditions in your area.

      -Sigurd Olson

      ________________________________
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2013
        Scott,
        Great set of photos and the way you added deck beams looks like a good
        idea. This site is not set up to allow attachments to messages so what
        you did is the best way to keep them organized for future viewing. Look
        forward to seeing more.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "souderscott997" wrote:

        > I put some pictures into an album here under Scott's Wooboto. I just
        tried to show the way I made my decks a bit tougher so if I actually sat
        on them they would remain stiff. I still have not figured out how to
        attach a picture to an individual message here. Oh well ...I had never
        built a boat this time last year either ...so I'll figure it out.