Re: Mayfly 14/16 questions regarding rough vs protected water

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 29, 2012
      That was an excellent summation posted by Roger and I have made note of
      the message # to refer future queries to it.

      Jim has written a very useful section on weather in his build book
      beginning page 112. One item stands out boldly as it is written in big
      capitol letters.

      "NEVER TAKE A SMALL, LIGHT BOAT OUT INTO WHITECAPPED WAVES, ESPECIALLY A
      FLAT-BOTTOMED BOAT!"

      Then he goes on to mention that many people do - so that is his opinion
      with his designs. He also often mentions that, "If you have to ask, (If
      it's safe to go out) the answer is no." The inference being that once
      you have the experience, knowledge and ability you will not have to ask,
      you will know based on your own expertise. But until then ask lots of
      questions anyway is my opinion but be prepared for a wild variety of
      answers:-)

      Having "local weather knowledge" is also invaluable, and is what the
      "old salts" relied on more than anything else. Particularly I think when
      it comes to on-shore and off-shore wind cycles. Observe and keep track
      of how accurate the area forecast is compared to your actual location
      and have the local radar and weather links on your computer to see what
      is actually happening if your area has that coverage available.

      Nels

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2013
        Scott,
        Great set of photos and the way you added deck beams looks like a good
        idea. This site is not set up to allow attachments to messages so what
        you did is the best way to keep them organized for future viewing. Look
        forward to seeing more.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "souderscott997" wrote:

        > I put some pictures into an album here under Scott's Wooboto. I just
        tried to show the way I made my decks a bit tougher so if I actually sat
        on them they would remain stiff. I still have not figured out how to
        attach a picture to an individual message here. Oh well ...I had never
        built a boat this time last year either ...so I'll figure it out.