Titebond III to glue fiberglass?

  • sharpie3444
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 14, 2012
      Just wondering if anyone has tryed to glass anything with this waterproof glue. Likely will give it a test unless someone else has tried and failed.
    • Gene Berry
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 14, 2012
        i built a Storer Quick Canoe and taped all the joins with TB III and glass tape from Duckworks, it worked a charm. i just completed a Michalak River Runner all with TB III and glass tape, i have only had it in the pond so far but no leaks no failures. im sold on it.

        Gene Berry

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 14, 2012
          I also used fiberglass tape and TB 3 on my Puddle Duck two years ago,
          never had a problem.

          Bill Nolen
          OKC

          From: sharpie3444 <_sharpie3444@..._ (mailto:sharpie3444@...) >
          To: _Michalak@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Michalak@yahoogroups.com)
          Date: Saturday, December 15, 2012, 12:43 AM

          Just wondering if anyone has tryed to glass anything with this waterproof
          glue. Likely will give it a test unless someone else has tried and failed.

        • pd_89415
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
            I assume it wouldn't dry clear which is probably OK if you intend to paint. I use TB3 for laminating and other tight joint gluing.

            Matt

          • wildblue@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
              I used Titebond III and 4oz cloth on a rudder that I built from AF3 plans. It was not as easy as I thought but, still better than using epoxy. I cut the cloth to size and shape first. Put a thick coat of titebond III down and pressed the cloth into the glue. Placed a final coat of glue on top of the cloth just to smooth it out. So far So good.

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "sharpie3444" <sharpie3444@...> wrote:

              > Just wondering if anyone has tryed to glass anything with this waterproof glue. Likely will give it a test unless someone else has tried and failed.

            • Tim Anderson
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
                here is a website about titebond 3 and FG
                http://www.portableboatplans.com/resources/T%26G%20Process.pdf

                i use TB# for all framing, in-wales keelson, chines, stem etc Then epoxy
                everything and epoxy/ FG the outside of the hull. I built my first boat in
                1960 using urea formaldehyde glue. Tim P Anderson Swamp Dwelling Boat
                Builder

              • Gene Berry
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
                  it does not dry clear if it is applied heavily to glass how ever if just using for a coating on wood it dries fairly clear.

                  Gene Berry

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "sharpie3444" <sharpie3444@...> wrote:

                    > Just wondering if anyone has tryed to glass anything with this waterproof glue. Likely will give it a test unless someone else has tried and failed.

                    Try PortableBoatPlans.com (Ken Simpson) for an illustrated,thorough description of the process
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
                      Here is what Ken has to say about the method:
                      For the above reasons, it is best if the boats built using this process
                      remain small in design, preferably under 12 feet long.And they should
                      never be allowed to remain in the water when not in use, as moisture
                      could seep into the wood and destroythe seals. This limits the load
                      (number of occupants) and the end use of the intended boats, and none
                      are recommended forrough water use or for extended use in the ocean for
                      that matter. And, none are suggested for competitive purposes.Thank you
                      for your attention to this information. Always follow the plans, and
                      make safety your number one priority !
                      Nels