Re: MY AF3 SUBMARINE

  • Tim Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
      PEG takes the strength out of wood, i have tied knots in 1x1 doug. fir
      after soaking in Poly Ethylene Glycol. It will preserve wood, but it will
      weaken it. My second (and favorite) wife put bare root ficus trees into
      tubs of PEG and it preserved the tree with the leaves intact. They could
      then be put in a pot with sand and never need to be watered or see the sun.
      We sold them to interior decorators for office buildings. Tim P Anderson
      Swamp Dwelling boatbuilder

    • John Kohnen
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
        The kind of antifreeze used to kill rot is ethylene glycol. It's very
        poisonous to most living things. PEG is much different. It's non-toxic, so
        isn't any good for fighting rot. Sometimes PEG is used as a wood
        stabilizer, though.

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        Why should we take advice on sex from the Pope? If he knows
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
          Has anyone tried using epoxy or fiberglass on wood treated with antifrees? I wonder if there would be an adhesion problem. I t has always felt kind of greasy to me.