Re: [Michalak] MY AF3 SUBMARINE

  • john colley
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
      I'd use just plain ol' chlorine bleach .It will kill any spores,then evaporate leaving a reasonably clean timber for painting.

      -Sigurd Olson

      ________________________________
      From: jimmyodunn@...
      Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:37:59 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] MY AF3 SUBMARINE

      Help, my AF3 has taken on water and she's still on the trailer. Let me clarify, I was out of town for a couple weeks and the wind blew my cover open and I came back to a lot of standing water in my hull from a few days of rain. Some of the wood is untreated bare wood. I have vac'd out the standing water and I'm using fans to evaporate the rest. How should I proceed? Do I apply some kind of fungicide? I plan to paint on some epoxy at some point but what treatment should I apply to the wood prior to resin?

      JD

    • Tim Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
        PEG takes the strength out of wood, i have tied knots in 1x1 doug. fir
        after soaking in Poly Ethylene Glycol. It will preserve wood, but it will
        weaken it. My second (and favorite) wife put bare root ficus trees into
        tubs of PEG and it preserved the tree with the leaves intact. They could
        then be put in a pot with sand and never need to be watered or see the sun.
        We sold them to interior decorators for office buildings. Tim P Anderson
        Swamp Dwelling boatbuilder

      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
          The kind of antifreeze used to kill rot is ethylene glycol. It's very
          poisonous to most living things. PEG is much different. It's non-toxic, so
          isn't any good for fighting rot. Sometimes PEG is used as a wood
          stabilizer, though.

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          Why should we take advice on sex from the Pope? If he knows
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
            Has anyone tried using epoxy or fiberglass on wood treated with antifrees? I wonder if there would be an adhesion problem. I t has always felt kind of greasy to me.