MY AF3 SUBMARINE

  • James
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
      Help, my AF3 has taken on water and she's still on the trailer. Let me clarify, I was out of town for a couple weeks and the wind blew my cover open and I came back to a lot of standing water in my hull from a few days of rain. Some of the wood is untreated bare wood. I have vac'd out the standing water and I'm using fans to evaporate the rest. How should I proceed? Do I apply some kind of fungicide? I plan to paint on some epoxy at some point but what treatment should I apply to the wood prior to resin?

      JD
    • daniel brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
        take a look at this
        http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fiberglass-composite-boat-building/ethylene-glycol-wood-preservative-17739.html
        i havent used antifreeze but i've read about it. if you're concerned you might try it. make sure you get the recommended type. i used cuprinol on my skiff build many years ago but i think the real copper based stuff is no longer available

        To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
        From: jimmyodunn@...
        Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:37:59 +0000
        Subject: [Michalak] MY AF3 SUBMARINE

        Help, my AF3 has taken on water and she's still on the trailer. Let me clarify, I was out of town for a couple weeks and the wind blew my cover open and I came back to a lot of standing water in my hull from a few days of rain. Some of the wood is untreated bare wood. I have vac'd out the standing water and I'm using fans to evaporate the rest. How should I proceed? Do I apply some kind of fungicide? I plan to paint on some epoxy at some point but what treatment should I apply to the wood prior to resin?

        JD

      • sirdarnell
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
          Sounds like you have the right idea. Dry it out throughly and then coat with epoxy and paint. If you ever have rot follow the directions in this article:

          http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/rot.html

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jimmyodunn@...> wrote:

          > Help, my AF3 has taken on water and she's still on the trailer. Let me clarify, I was out of town for a couple weeks and the wind blew my cover open and I came back to a lot of standing water in my hull from a few days of rain. Some of the wood is untreated bare wood. I have vac'd out the standing water and I'm using fans to evaporate the rest. How should I proceed? Do I apply some kind of fungicide? I plan to paint on some epoxy at some point but what treatment should I apply to the wood prior to resin?
          >
          > JD

        • John Trussell
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
            First, I'd install a drain plug (or perhaps two). Then I'd dry it out with a
            box fan. Once it was thoroughly dry, I'd seal it.

            JohnT

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
              I'd use just plain ol' chlorine bleach .It will kill any spores,then evaporate leaving a reasonably clean timber for painting.

              -Sigurd Olson

              ________________________________

              To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
              From: jimmyodunn@...
              Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:37:59 +0000

              Help, my AF3 has taken on water and she's still on the trailer. Let me clarify, I was out of town for a couple weeks and the wind blew my cover open and I came back to a lot of standing water in my hull from a few days of rain. Some of the wood is untreated bare wood. I have vac'd out the standing water and I'm using fans to evaporate the rest. How should I proceed? Do I apply some kind of fungicide? I plan to paint on some epoxy at some point but what treatment should I apply to the wood prior to resin?

              JD

            • Tim Anderson
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
                PEG takes the strength out of wood, i have tied knots in 1x1 doug. fir
                after soaking in Poly Ethylene Glycol. It will preserve wood, but it will
                weaken it. My second (and favorite) wife put bare root ficus trees into
                tubs of PEG and it preserved the tree with the leaves intact. They could
                then be put in a pot with sand and never need to be watered or see the sun.
                We sold them to interior decorators for office buildings. Tim P Anderson
                Swamp Dwelling boatbuilder

              • John Kohnen
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
                  The kind of antifreeze used to kill rot is ethylene glycol. It's very
                  poisonous to most living things. PEG is much different. It's non-toxic, so
                  isn't any good for fighting rot. Sometimes PEG is used as a wood
                  stabilizer, though.

                  --
                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  Why should we take advice on sex from the Pope? If he knows
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 12, 2012
                    Has anyone tried using epoxy or fiberglass on wood treated with antifrees? I wonder if there would be an adhesion problem. I t has always felt kind of greasy to me.