Re: [Michalak] Taller Cabin

  • Martin Houston
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2012
      I'm thinking of 3 plywood sides hinged with canvas & a hatch like top with 1X2 edges overlappimg it. Everything would have to fasten together, & a zippered fabric door like a tent. The sides would fold together & set inside the top. Could have lexan ports. Probably want to remove it if the wind pipes up & for sailing.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2012
        The Bolger Bantam was designed with a pop-up:

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/projects/bantam/index.htm

      • Martin Houston
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2012
          What a cool boat!!! Good job.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
            Wow, that's a cool idea.
            'Course, Bantam was solving the problem a trailering. What I had in mind
            (legitimately or otherwise :^) was solving the windage problem while
            sailing. Obviously, this isn't a problem Bantam has since it's not a sail
            boat. :^).
            My thought was more of a way to have a cuddy when under sail, but a full
            cabin (6 ft?) when anchored, in port or just working in the boat. I would
            think that having boat-parts cluttering the center aisle of the cabin while
            underway might make it impossible to use the cabin to fix lunch or take a
            nap while underway, making it less useful when with kids or the wife on
            board.
            My thought is something like Viola 22 with a pop-top. Build the bunks
            such that a top-bunk drops down to form the back of a bench on both sides,
            then pops up to allow two bunks on each side. The upper bunk would be used
            when the boat is stationary and the top was "raised" enough to allow
            sitting head room in all four bunks and standing room in the head an galley
            areas while preparing meals, "bathing", etc.
            The fact is, I stand no chance of ever getting my wife on this thing for
            more than a few minutes if it doesn't resemble a Motel 6 on the water :^).
            Don