Taller Cabin

  • Donald Greer
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2012
      Ok, so the discussion about Michalak Circles and taller cabins and
      windage has me thinking. Has anybody ever tied making a "pop up" cabin on
      one of their boats? Simlar to the popup trailers, getting an extra 3 feet
      in the cabin when you drop the sails and are ready for bed or sitting in
      port or on a remote beach would seem to be a very worthwhile idea.
      I'm thinking this would work particularly well on a birdwatcher type
      cabin, although I suspect the slot-top would have to go because it wouldn't
      provide sufficient ridgidity for a raisable roof.
      I know there was such an option for the Catalina's (at least, I've seen
      it advertised on some Cats on ebay, although what they showed would not
      make the cabin weather proof).
      Any thoughts?
      Don

      --
      "I don't necessarily believe that software should be free, but if you pay
      for it, it should work." -- Me

    • Martin Houston
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2012
        I'm thinking of 3 plywood sides hinged with canvas & a hatch like top with 1X2 edges overlappimg it. Everything would have to fasten together, & a zippered fabric door like a tent. The sides would fold together & set inside the top. Could have lexan ports. Probably want to remove it if the wind pipes up & for sailing.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2012
          The Bolger Bantam was designed with a pop-up:

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/projects/bantam/index.htm

        • Martin Houston
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2012
            What a cool boat!!! Good job.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
              Wow, that's a cool idea.
              'Course, Bantam was solving the problem a trailering. What I had in mind
              (legitimately or otherwise :^) was solving the windage problem while
              sailing. Obviously, this isn't a problem Bantam has since it's not a sail
              boat. :^).
              My thought was more of a way to have a cuddy when under sail, but a full
              cabin (6 ft?) when anchored, in port or just working in the boat. I would
              think that having boat-parts cluttering the center aisle of the cabin while
              underway might make it impossible to use the cabin to fix lunch or take a
              nap while underway, making it less useful when with kids or the wife on
              board.
              My thought is something like Viola 22 with a pop-top. Build the bunks
              such that a top-bunk drops down to form the back of a bench on both sides,
              then pops up to allow two bunks on each side. The upper bunk would be used
              when the boat is stationary and the top was "raised" enough to allow
              sitting head room in all four bunks and standing room in the head an galley
              areas while preparing meals, "bathing", etc.
              The fact is, I stand no chance of ever getting my wife on this thing for
              more than a few minutes if it doesn't resemble a Motel 6 on the water :^).
              Don