Re: [Michalak] Re: Jukebox 3 Mizzen?

  • Martin Houston
    Message 1 of 52 , Dec 8, 2012
      I like the raised pilothouse. I thought of making a removable, collapsable one for the Kaanoo. I wouldn't want the windage but it would sure make using the bucket better, specially in port.

      ________________________________
      Message 52 of 52 , Dec 11, 2012
        LMAO  thats cool yes I can relate!

        Andrew

        From: Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...>
        To: "Michalak@yahoogroups.com" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:40:32 -0800 (PST)

        As a boy I learned boating in Boy Scouts and our scoutmaster i Portsmouth had us build a 19ft banks dory which we boys sailed all over the harbor.  No adults aboard we were on the Buddy system (unheard of today).  Dories have long oars and a hole in the fwd seat lets an oar go down into a step and become a mast for a lug sail.  Ballast was rocks or sandbags inside on the bottom... the ides being if the boat overturns the rocks fall out and it can be bailed out and re-boarded.

        We had some lobster pots and grew bolder and I remember we would sometimes sail as far as 5 miles out.  One time we did overturn and the rocks did indeed fall out and we bailed and crawled back aboard.. But now without ballast it was too tender for the sail, so we had to row home.  Most dories support 2 sets of oars so 2 of us rowed and the 3rd manned a tiller and shouted encouragement.  As I recall we were all afternoon getting back.. finally with the help of the tide as it started in.

        I learned two things from the experience.. first that I love and trust dories and all their sharpie cousins as seaworthy boats.  Second... I hate to row!  LOL

        Andrew