Mayfly 16 Plans

  • pd_89415
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
      Not that I need another boat, but I ordered a set of plans for the Mayfly 16. Hope to get this boat set up for some fun overnight adventures.

      I have a couple of ideas for modifications, most of which are pretty minor such as reducing or eliminating any exposed ply edge and making the mast partner beam wide with a lip on it to accomodate a tent just aft of the mast. Maybe the most significant mod is making the chine logs internal instead of external. I did this with a canoe over the summer and it turned out pretty well. Anybody do this with a Mayfly?

      Also, I'd love to hear anyone chime in with experiences with building, sailing, and camping with this boat. Pictures are great too. I have read just about everything I can find on the web many times.

      Matt
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
        I covered the top edge of the ply when building a Bolger Windsprint
        long ago, just cutting a rabbet into the gunn'l. The good effect was
        all out of proportion to the effort involved.
        Mark

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
          Also running a narrow bead of thickened epoxy along any joint where
          timber meets plywood is well worth the effort. As well as making all
          through-hull and drain holes oversize and filling them with thickened
          epoxy, then drilling the required size hole. It is possible to make a
          plywood hull with no exposed edge grain or rot traps.

          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka97203@...> wrote:

          > I covered the top edge of the ply when building a Bolger Windsprint
          > long ago, just cutting a rabbet into the gunn'l. The good effect was
          > all out of proportion to the effort involved.
          > Mark
          >
          > On Dec 7, 2012, at 10:02 AM, pd_89415 wrote:
          >
          > > Not that I need another boat, but I ordered a set of plans for the
          > > Mayfly 16. Hope to get this boat set up for some fun overnight
          > > adventures.
          > >
          > > I have a couple of ideas for modifications, most of which are
          > > pretty minor such as reducing or eliminating any exposed ply edge
          > > and making the mast partner beam wide with a lip on it to
          > > accomodate a tent just aft of the mast. Maybe the most significant
          > > mod is making the chine logs internal instead of external. I did
          > > this with a canoe over the summer and it turned out pretty well.
          > > Anybody do this with a Mayfly?
          > >
          > > Also, I'd love to hear anyone chime in with experiences with
          > > building, sailing, and camping with this boat. Pictures are great
          > > too. I have read just about everything I can find on the web many
          > > times.
          > >
          > > Matt

        • Joe T
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2012
            Think about stitch and glue instead of wood for the chine joint. Plenty of How To info. Will reduce the likelihood of rot there. Good to glass the whole bottom anyway so a few yard of FG tape would be needed. I assume you will be using epoxy.

            Joe T
          • Joseph Stromski
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 9, 2012
              I'm not sure how well a Mayfly would adapt to s&g. Usually with a boat like this
              the chines log (whether internal or external) serve not only for fastening, but
              also to give a fair curve to the chine. The bottom is then cut out slightly
              oversize, fastened, then trimmed back. I suppose if the plans give exact
              dimensions for the bottom panel, and you cut the curve accurately it'd work, but
              in this case I'd think using a chine log would be less effort. As always, more
              than one way to skin the cat.

              Best,
              Joe

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 9, 2012
                I guess I'm just old fashioned but I just like a piece of timber where plywood panels meet. I know that glass & resin & glue is great stuff. I use a lot of it. But there ain't nothing like wood & screws. With glue of course. And glassed over with epoxy.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 10, 2012
                  Matt

                  I built my Summer Breeze with internal chine logs instead of external ones. It was a bit of a task getting everything to match up and fit in place - used a lot of thickened epoxy gap filler!

                  It worked OK but I think it was more work. It stayed in shape while building it and I suspect S&G would work alright.
                  But now I have a set of plans for the Mayfly 16 and will be building it with external chine logs. After the SB build, which I changed a few things on, I decided in future I would stick to the designers plans unless I had a really good reason not to.

                  If nothing else the external chine logs might give something to step on when re-boarding after a knock-down?

                  Simon.

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" <mattpinkley@...> wrote:

                  > Not that I need another boat, but I ordered a set of plans for the Mayfly 16. Hope to get this boat set up for some fun overnight adventures.
                  >
                  > I have a couple of ideas for modifications, most of which are pretty minor such as reducing or eliminating any exposed ply edge and making the mast partner beam wide with a lip on it to accomodate a tent just aft of the mast. Maybe the most significant mod is making the chine logs internal instead of external. I did this with a canoe over the summer and it turned out pretty well. Anybody do this with a Mayfly?
                  >
                  > Also, I'd love to hear anyone chime in with experiences with building, sailing, and camping with this boat. Pictures are great too. I have read just about everything I can find on the web many times.
                  >
                  > Matt

                • pd_89415
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 10, 2012
                    Thanks for the responses!
                    The argument of handhold when righting and toehold when reboarding is
                    one that I hadn't considered and I think it is a valid point. I am not
                    sure if my main aversion to the external chine log is about aesthetics
                    or the thought of having two submerged seams as opposed to just one. I
                    also think that the external chine would be easier to glass if the chine
                    log is internal.
                    Any recent thoughts on rowing for any distance? Anyone go against
                    instincts and cut holes in the side of their boat for oar ports? I'm
                    also interested in camping experiences as well as real life experiences
                    with sailing in rough going.
                    Matt
                    PS. Today was a good mail day because not only did my plans come but
                    also this month's Small Craft Advisor!

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "simonfbroad" <simonfbroad@...> wrote:

                    > Matt
                    >
                    > I built my Summer Breeze with internal chine logs instead of external
                    ones. It was a bit of a task getting everything to match up and fit in
                    place - used a lot of thickened epoxy gap filler!

                    > It worked OK but I think it was more work. It stayed in shape while
                    building it and I suspect S&G would work alright.
                    > But now I have a set of plans for the Mayfly 16 and will be building
                    it with external chine logs. After the SB build, which I changed a few
                    things on, I decided in future I would stick to the designers plans
                    unless I had a really good reason not to.

                    > If nothing else the external chine logs might give something to step
                    on when re-boarding after a knock-down?

                    > Simon.
                    >
                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" mattpinkley@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Not that I need another boat, but I ordered a set of plans for the
                    Mayfly 16. Hope to get this boat set up for some fun overnight
                    adventures.

                    > > I have a couple of ideas for modifications, most of which are pretty
                    minor such as reducing or eliminating any exposed ply edge and making
                    the mast partner beam wide with a lip on it to accomodate a tent just
                    aft of the mast. Maybe the most significant mod is making the chine
                    logs internal instead of external. I did this with a canoe over the
                    summer and it turned out pretty well. Anybody do this with a Mayfly?

                    > > Also, I'd love to hear anyone chime in with experiences with
                    building, sailing, and camping with this boat. Pictures are great too.
                    I have read just about everything I can find on the web many times.

                    > > Matt

                  • pd_89415
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 10, 2012
                      Here's another one: Would it be a bad idea to make the space forward of the most forward bulk head a self draining anchor well? (Maybe a good question for Mr. Michalak)

                    • John Trussell
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 10, 2012
                        Structurally, you can go external chine logs, internal chine logs, or stitch
                        and glue. Nail and glue chine logs are a little faster to build.

                        Rowing requires some fairly tight ergonomic relationships. See Shew and
                        Tenney's web site for some useful formulas. One fairly important factor is
                        that the oarlocks have to be high enough so that the oars clear your stomach
                        and legs during recovery. If the sides of the boat are too high, It might be
                        better to raise the thwart or sit on a throwable cushion. If your oars
                        balance about 10-12" outboard of your oarlocks, they will be more plesant to
                        use.

                        Have fun.

                        JohnT

                        _____

                        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        "simonfbroad" <simonfbroad@...> wrote:

                        > Matt
                        >
                        > I built my Summer Breeze with internal chine logs instead of external
                        ones. It was a bit of a task getting everything to match up and fit in
                        place - used a lot of thickened epoxy gap filler!

                        > It worked OK but I think it was more work. It stayed in shape while
                        building it and I suspect S&G would work alright.
                        > But now I have a set of plans for the Mayfly 16 and will be building
                        it with external chine logs. After the SB build, which I changed a few
                        things on, I decided in future I would stick to the designers plans
                        unless I had a really good reason not to.

                        > If nothing else the external chine logs might give something to step
                        on when re-boarding after a knock-down?

                        > Simon.
                        >
                        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        "pd_89415" mattpinkley@ wrote:

                        > > Not that I need another boat, but I ordered a set of plans for the
                        Mayfly 16. Hope to get this boat set up for some fun overnight
                        adventures.

                        > > I have a couple of ideas for modifications, most of which are pretty
                        minor such as reducing or eliminating any exposed ply edge and making
                        the mast partner beam wide with a lip on it to accomodate a tent just
                        aft of the mast. Maybe the most significant mod is making the chine
                        logs internal instead of external. I did this with a canoe over the
                        summer and it turned out pretty well. Anybody do this with a Mayfly?

                        > > Also, I'd love to hear anyone chime in with experiences with
                        building, sailing, and camping with this boat. Pictures are great too.
                        I have read just about everything I can find on the web many times.

                        > > Matt

                      • Martin Houston
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 10, 2012
                          I have oar ports on the AF3 as they are in the plans. I like them, they can also serve as gun ports (dare I say that?) Some ss flip up oar locks from Duckworks, removable cover boards, Gear boxes to sit on (&the right hights for the cannons to line up.) (I didn't say that), & I'm in business. Please forgive me, I had rum in my coffee.

                          ________________________________

                          --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, "simonfbroad" <simonfbroad@...> wrote:

                          > Matt
                          >
                          > I built my Summer Breeze with internal chine logs instead of external
                          ones. It was a bit of a task getting everything to match up and fit in
                          place - used a lot of thickened epoxy gap filler!

                          > It worked OK but I think it was more work. It stayed in shape while
                          building it and I suspect S&G would work alright.
                          > But now I have a set of plans for the Mayfly 16 and will be building
                          it with external chine logs. After the SB build, which I changed a few
                          things on, I decided in future I would stick to the designers plans
                          unless I had a really good reason not to.

                          > If nothing else the external chine logs might give something to step
                          on when re-boarding after a knock-down?

                          > Simon.
                          >
                          > --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" mattpinkley@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Not that I need another boat, but I ordered a set of plans for the
                          Mayfly 16. Hope to get this boat set up for some fun overnight
                          adventures.

                          > > I have a couple of ideas for modifications, most of which are pretty
                          minor such as reducing or eliminating any exposed ply edge and making
                          the mast partner beam wide with a lip on it to accomodate a tent just
                          aft of the mast. Maybe the most significant mod is making the chine
                          logs internal instead of external. I did this with a canoe over the
                          summer and it turned out pretty well. Anybody do this with a Mayfly?

                          > > Also, I'd love to hear anyone chime in with experiences with
                          building, sailing, and camping with this boat. Pictures are great too.
                          I have read just about everything I can find on the web many times.

                          > > Matt

                        • Michael Walther
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 11, 2012
                            Hi Martin, So you decided to be a pirate;)  Thanks,  Mike

                            ________________________________
                            I have oar ports on the AF3 as they are in the plans. I like them, they can also serve as gun ports (dare I say that?) Some ss flip up oar locks from Duckworks, removable cover boards, Gear boxes to sit on (&the right hights for the cannons to line up.) (I didn't say that), & I'm in business. Please forgive me, I had rum in my coffee.

                            ________________________________
                            The argument of handhold when righting and toehold when reboarding is
                            one that I hadn't considered and I think it is a valid point.  I am not
                            sure if my main aversion to the external chine log is about aesthetics
                            or the thought of having two submerged seams as opposed to just one. I
                            also think that the external chine would be easier to glass if the chine
                            log is internal.
                            Any recent thoughts on rowing for any distance? Anyone go against
                            instincts and cut holes in the side of their boat for oar ports? I'm
                            also interested in camping experiences as well as real life experiences
                            with sailing in rough going.
                            Matt
                            PS.  Today was a good mail day because not only did my plans come but
                            also this month's Small Craft Advisor!

                            --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, "simonfbroad" <simonfbroad@...> wrote:

                            > Matt
                            >
                            > I built my Summer Breeze with internal chine logs instead of external
                            ones. It was a bit of a task getting everything to match up and fit in
                            place - used a lot of thickened epoxy gap filler!

                            > It worked OK but I think it was more work. It stayed in shape while
                            building it and I suspect S&G would work alright.
                            > But now I have a set of plans for the Mayfly 16 and will be building
                            it with external chine logs. After the SB build, which I changed a few
                            things on, I decided in future I would stick to the designers plans
                            unless I had a really good reason not to.

                            > If nothing else the external chine logs might give something to step
                            on when re-boarding after a knock-down?

                            > Simon.
                            >
                            > --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, "pd_89415" mattpinkley@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Not that I need another boat, but I ordered a set of plans for the
                            Mayfly 16.  Hope to get this boat set up for some fun overnight
                            adventures.

                            > > I have a couple of ideas for modifications, most of which are pretty
                            minor such as reducing or eliminating any exposed ply edge and making
                            the mast partner beam wide with a lip on it to accomodate a tent just
                            aft of the mast.  Maybe the most significant mod is making the chine
                            logs internal instead of external.  I did this with a canoe over the
                            summer and it turned out pretty well.  Anybody do this with a Mayfly?

                            > > Also, I'd love to hear anyone chime in with experiences with
                            building, sailing, and camping with this boat.  Pictures are great too.
                            I have read just about everything I can find on the web many times.

                            > > Matt

                          • sharpie3444
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 11, 2012
                              Both internal and external chine logs on the same boat may make sense, if nothing else its something I haven t thought abt before.

                              The inside one to be just 3/4 inch molding with the two 90*s and a 45* to help seal the joint. Thinking sq boats with this post. Of course with a table saw any desired set of angles and size could be cut......... especially 1 and 1 1/2 inch sizes on the larger boats.

                              Perhaps a smaller external could be used to good effect with the small internal chine log, such as and 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch slice from 2 by stock.

                              David

                              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Trussell" <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

                              > Structurally, you can go external chine logs, internal chine logs, or stitch
                              > and glue. Nail and glue chine logs are a little faster to build.
                              >

                              > Rowing requires some fairly tight ergonomic relationships. See Shew and
                              > Tenney's web site for some useful formulas. One fairly important factor is
                              > that the oarlocks have to be high enough so that the oars clear your stomach
                              > and legs during recovery. If the sides of the boat are too high, It might be
                              > better to raise the thwart or sit on a throwable cushion. If your oars
                              > balance about 10-12" outboard of your oarlocks, they will be more plesant to
                              > use.
                              >

                              > Have fun.
                              >

                              > JohnT
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Andres Espino
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 11, 2012
                                He thought of it and incorporated it a few of his designs like Musicbox 2.. which also has a handy boarding ladder incorporated into the Bolger type square bow.
                                http://duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/musicbox2/index.htm

                                I believe Jim will make alterations to his plans for people if they email him with their request.

                                Andrew