Re: file size question

  • TomH
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
      Yahoo says... Each group has 100MB of server space allocated for Files and a 5MB limit per upload (i.e. per file).

      Do you have an estimate of what the total space needed might be?

      Might have to find someplace else to host the files - ?Duckworks?

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@...> wrote:

      > what file size should i cut the Rabl Lofting book scan into? I am omitting the segment on steel plate rolling. Tim P Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder

    • John Kohnen
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
        Don't save the scanned images as JPEGs. JPEG compression doesn't work well
        with text and drawings. Reduce the number of colors in the image to 16, or
        4 (a custom palette of 2 greys, black and white, but it may not work in a
        PDF...), and save as PNGs or GIFs. The file sizes will be smaller and the
        images will be more legible. Scan at 300 dpi, but if that makes too big of
        a file after reducing the colors, anything over 150 dpi should be good
        enough. If you take the trouble to delete any shadows, smudges, dirt, etc.
        in the image it'll make for a smaller file. The closer you get to just
        black and white the better...

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        I Can't take a well-tanned person seriously. (Cleveland Amory)
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
          John,

          Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
          so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
          whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
          shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
            What I do is scan the images, doctor them up as needed in my image editing
            program (I use Paint Shop Pro), then put together the PDFs using a desktop
            publishing program, or a PDF printer driver that can combine print jobs in
            one document (I use PDF 995 usually). I wasn't aware that there was
            scanner software that output directly to PDFs. <shrug> I'd never use it
            anyway, because I prefer having control of the images... The scanner
            software I've run across is pretty lame when it comes to doing anything
            more than just scanning, and often They make it difficult to get past
            their automatic settings to get control of even the scanning! :ob <sigh>

            Oh, and thanks for that envelope I found in my PO Box today, Mark! :o)

            On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:38:08 -0800, Mark A wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
            > so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
            > whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
            > shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.

            John (jkohnen@...)
            Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. (Paul Valery)
          • John Kohnen
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
              What image format does your scanner software use in the PDFs it outputs?
              Can you choose? JPEG works well with complex images, like photos, but
              sh***y with text and line drawings. PNG and GIF work well with line
              drawings and text (PNG also works well with photos -- I use it for
              archiving mine -- but makes very large files).

              > On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:38:08 -0800, Mark A wrote:
              >
              >> John,
              >>
              >> Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
              >> so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
              >> whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
              >> shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.

              --
              John (jkohnen@...)
              I have no truck with lettuce, cabbage, and similar chlorophyll.
              Any dietician will tell you that a running foot of apple strudel
              contains four times the vitamins of a bushel of beans. (S. J.
              Perelman)
            • Mark Albanese
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                My $69 Epson flatbed saves in JPEG, bitmap, pdf and tiff formats, up
                to a gazillion dpi, and has a tremendous lot of other settings. The
                multipage pdf stuff is pretty versatile. It can adjust the contrast
                in preview, then sort and rotate finished pages easily if need be.

                For erasing miscreant black edges, adjusting dpis, etc, the graphic
                converter software that opens a big pdf is handy.

                On Dec 5, 2012, at 9:54 PM, John Kohnen wrote:

                > What image format does your scanner software use in the PDFs it
                > outputs?
                > Can you choose? JPEG works well with complex images, like photos, but
                > sh***y with text and line drawings. PNG and GIF work well with line
                > drawings and text (PNG also works well with photos -- I use it for
                > archiving mine -- but makes very large files).
                >
                >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:38:08 -0800, Mark A wrote:
                >>
                >>> John,
                >>>
                >>> Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
                >>> so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
                >>> whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
                >>> shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.
                >

                > --
                > John (jkohnen@...)
                > I have no truck with lettuce, cabbage, and similar chlorophyll.
                > Any dietician will tell you that a running foot of apple strudel
                > contains four times the vitamins of a bushel of beans. (S. J.
                > Perelman)

              • John Kohnen
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                  I still wouldn't trust it. ;o)

                  On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:35:26 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                  > My $69 Epson flatbed saves in JPEG, bitmap, pdf and tiff formats, up
                  > to a gazillion dpi, and has a tremendous lot of other settings. The
                  > multipage pdf stuff is pretty versatile. It can adjust the contrast
                  > in preview, then sort and rotate finished pages easily if need be.
                  >
                  > For erasing miscreant black edges, adjusting dpis, etc, the graphic
                  > converter software that opens a big pdf is handy.

                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  The wonder is always new that any sane man can be a sailor.
                  (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
                • Mark Albanese
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                    What's not to trust? Look at the finished document and decide if you
                    did it right.

                    My V30 is discontinued now. In one of those curiosities of Amazon
                    pricing the last two are selling for $198 each. This one seems to be
                    the replacement.
                    http://tinyurl.com/bcvv4r9

                    Wish my cell phone were so cheap.

                    So, Tim? are you fixed up to do this job? If you want to experiment,
                    just one chapter on plank expansions might have broad appeal.
                    Mark

                    On Dec 6, 2012, at 9:50 PM, John Kohnen wrote:

                    > I still wouldn't trust it. ;o)
                    >
                    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:35:26 -0800, Mark A wrote:
                    >
                    >> My $69 Epson flatbed saves in JPEG, bitmap, pdf and tiff formats, up
                    >> to a gazillion dpi, and has a tremendous lot of other settings. The
                    >> multipage pdf stuff is pretty versatile. It can adjust the contrast
                    >> in preview, then sort and rotate finished pages easily if need be.
                    >>
                    >> For erasing miscreant black edges, adjusting dpis, etc, the graphic
                    >> converter software that opens a big pdf is handy.
                    >
                    > --

                  • John Kohnen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                      I'm just an Ol' Coot who's set in his ways. <g> If the finished document
                      looks and works right that's all that's important.

                      Rabl's book isn't a cookbook for working out plank expansions. It really
                      should be read from the beginning to get an understanding of what's going
                      on, though some of the later stuff that isn't relevant to simple
                      boatbuilding can be skipped. Unlike Sam's boatbuilding book and articles,
                      Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development for Draftsmen and Loftsmen and
                      Sheet metal Workers isn't aimed at the amateur boatbuilder.

                      On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 01:32:57 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                      > What's not to trust? Look at the finished document and decide if you
                      > did it right.
                      >
                      > My V30 is discontinued now. In one of those curiosities of Amazon
                      > pricing the last two are selling for $198 each. This one seems to be
                      > the replacement.
                      > http://tinyurl.com/bcvv4r9
                      > So, Tim? are you fixed up to do this job? If you want to experiment,
                      > just one chapter on plank expansions might have broad appeal.

                      --
                      John (jkohnen@...)
                      Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
                      sometimes has to eat them. (Adlai Stevenson)
                    • Mark Albanese
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                        The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Chapter
                        one then?
                        I'm thinking that even breaking it up into the separate chapters
                        would make for only a dozen or so files.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                          Thirteen files, or maybe fourteen if the introductory stuff goes in a
                          separate file:

                          DEDICATION

                          ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

                          INTRODUCTION

                          I. METHODS OF DEPICTING AND DIMENSIONING SHAPE OF A DRAWING 3

                          II. THE MOLD LOFT FLOOR 10

                          III. ELEMENTARY GEOMETRY EMPLOYED ON A LOFT FLOOR 14

                          IV. PRINCIPLES OF PLANE AND SOLID GEOMETRY --
                          PROJECTION OF LINES AND SURFACES . 20

                          V. TRUE LENGTHS OF LINES AND MEASUREMENT OF ANGLES 24

                          VI. VISUAL FAIRING 28

                          VII. GEOMETRIC FAIRING 38

                          VIII. ELEMENTARY DEVELOPMENTS 48

                          IX. PRINCIPLES OF SHELL DEVELOPMENT 54

                          X. SHELL PLATE DEVELOPMENT 62

                          XI. TEMPLATES 72

                          XII. THE PLATING MODEL 80

                          XIII. LAYOUT PROBLEMS 84

                          If one works their way through the whole book (I haven't -- yet <g>)
                          they'll be an expert on dealing with sheet materials. :o) If you use a CAD
                          program to play around with the examples you'll learn a lot, without the
                          tedium of manual drafting.

                          Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development for Draftsmen and Loftsmen and
                          Sheet Metal Workers is out of print, and expensive on the used market (see
                          link below, I'm lucky I got mine cheap years ago <g>), so Tim is doing a
                          great service!

                          http://preview.tinyurl.com/cl3kkxh

                          On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 18:08:53 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                          > The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Chapter
                          > one then?
                          > I'm thinking that even breaking it up into the separate chapters
                          > would make for only a dozen or so files.

                          --
                          John (jkohnen@...)
                          The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job
                          of thinking. (John Kenneth Galbraith)
                        • graeme
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                            A Rabl teaser:
                            http://www.scribd.com/doc/2631165/FlyingCloud

                            I'm suprised a quick search doesn't turn up a free download somewhere of Ship and Aircraft Fairing...

                            Michalak, Bolger, Atkins etc etc works are all out there beating copyright, saving trees, eg., just one link (with a deliberate transposed typo) for John Gardner:
                            http://www6.zetatalk.com/docs/Boast/The_Dory-Boat_Book_1978.pdf

                            Graeme