file size question

  • naturalist71261
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
      what file size should i cut the Rabl Lofting book scan into? I am omitting the segment on steel plate rolling. Tim P Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder
    • TomH
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
        Yahoo says... Each group has 100MB of server space allocated for Files and a 5MB limit per upload (i.e. per file).

        Do you have an estimate of what the total space needed might be?

        Might have to find someplace else to host the files - ?Duckworks?

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@...> wrote:

        > what file size should i cut the Rabl Lofting book scan into? I am omitting the segment on steel plate rolling. Tim P Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder

      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
          Don't save the scanned images as JPEGs. JPEG compression doesn't work well
          with text and drawings. Reduce the number of colors in the image to 16, or
          4 (a custom palette of 2 greys, black and white, but it may not work in a
          PDF...), and save as PNGs or GIFs. The file sizes will be smaller and the
          images will be more legible. Scan at 300 dpi, but if that makes too big of
          a file after reducing the colors, anything over 150 dpi should be good
          enough. If you take the trouble to delete any shadows, smudges, dirt, etc.
          in the image it'll make for a smaller file. The closer you get to just
          black and white the better...

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          I Can't take a well-tanned person seriously. (Cleveland Amory)
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
            John,

            Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
            so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
            whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
            shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
              What I do is scan the images, doctor them up as needed in my image editing
              program (I use Paint Shop Pro), then put together the PDFs using a desktop
              publishing program, or a PDF printer driver that can combine print jobs in
              one document (I use PDF 995 usually). I wasn't aware that there was
              scanner software that output directly to PDFs. <shrug> I'd never use it
              anyway, because I prefer having control of the images... The scanner
              software I've run across is pretty lame when it comes to doing anything
              more than just scanning, and often They make it difficult to get past
              their automatic settings to get control of even the scanning! :ob <sigh>

              Oh, and thanks for that envelope I found in my PO Box today, Mark! :o)

              On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:38:08 -0800, Mark A wrote:

              > John,
              >
              > Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
              > so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
              > whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
              > shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.

              John (jkohnen@...)
              Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. (Paul Valery)
            • John Kohnen
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
                What image format does your scanner software use in the PDFs it outputs?
                Can you choose? JPEG works well with complex images, like photos, but
                sh***y with text and line drawings. PNG and GIF work well with line
                drawings and text (PNG also works well with photos -- I use it for
                archiving mine -- but makes very large files).

                > On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:38:08 -0800, Mark A wrote:
                >
                >> John,
                >>
                >> Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
                >> so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
                >> whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
                >> shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                I have no truck with lettuce, cabbage, and similar chlorophyll.
                Any dietician will tell you that a running foot of apple strudel
                contains four times the vitamins of a bushel of beans. (S. J.
                Perelman)
              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                  My $69 Epson flatbed saves in JPEG, bitmap, pdf and tiff formats, up
                  to a gazillion dpi, and has a tremendous lot of other settings. The
                  multipage pdf stuff is pretty versatile. It can adjust the contrast
                  in preview, then sort and rotate finished pages easily if need be.

                  For erasing miscreant black edges, adjusting dpis, etc, the graphic
                  converter software that opens a big pdf is handy.

                  On Dec 5, 2012, at 9:54 PM, John Kohnen wrote:

                  > What image format does your scanner software use in the PDFs it
                  > outputs?
                  > Can you choose? JPEG works well with complex images, like photos, but
                  > sh***y with text and line drawings. PNG and GIF work well with line
                  > drawings and text (PNG also works well with photos -- I use it for
                  > archiving mine -- but makes very large files).
                  >
                  >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 21:38:08 -0800, Mark A wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> John,
                  >>>
                  >>> Won't PNG or GIF result in a couple hundred separate files? My ( not
                  >>> so fancy ) scanner makes it easy to put together multi page pdfs of
                  >>> whatever color depth you like. For those that won't, there's
                  >>> shareware to join separate pdfs into a single long one.
                  >

                  > --
                  > John (jkohnen@...)
                  > I have no truck with lettuce, cabbage, and similar chlorophyll.
                  > Any dietician will tell you that a running foot of apple strudel
                  > contains four times the vitamins of a bushel of beans. (S. J.
                  > Perelman)

                • John Kohnen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                    I still wouldn't trust it. ;o)

                    On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:35:26 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                    > My $69 Epson flatbed saves in JPEG, bitmap, pdf and tiff formats, up
                    > to a gazillion dpi, and has a tremendous lot of other settings. The
                    > multipage pdf stuff is pretty versatile. It can adjust the contrast
                    > in preview, then sort and rotate finished pages easily if need be.
                    >
                    > For erasing miscreant black edges, adjusting dpis, etc, the graphic
                    > converter software that opens a big pdf is handy.

                    John (jkohnen@...)
                    The wonder is always new that any sane man can be a sailor.
                    (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
                  • Mark Albanese
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                      What's not to trust? Look at the finished document and decide if you
                      did it right.

                      My V30 is discontinued now. In one of those curiosities of Amazon
                      pricing the last two are selling for $198 each. This one seems to be
                      the replacement.
                      http://tinyurl.com/bcvv4r9

                      Wish my cell phone were so cheap.

                      So, Tim? are you fixed up to do this job? If you want to experiment,
                      just one chapter on plank expansions might have broad appeal.
                      Mark

                      On Dec 6, 2012, at 9:50 PM, John Kohnen wrote:

                      > I still wouldn't trust it. ;o)
                      >
                      > On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:35:26 -0800, Mark A wrote:
                      >
                      >> My $69 Epson flatbed saves in JPEG, bitmap, pdf and tiff formats, up
                      >> to a gazillion dpi, and has a tremendous lot of other settings. The
                      >> multipage pdf stuff is pretty versatile. It can adjust the contrast
                      >> in preview, then sort and rotate finished pages easily if need be.
                      >>
                      >> For erasing miscreant black edges, adjusting dpis, etc, the graphic
                      >> converter software that opens a big pdf is handy.
                      >
                      > --

                    • John Kohnen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                        I'm just an Ol' Coot who's set in his ways. <g> If the finished document
                        looks and works right that's all that's important.

                        Rabl's book isn't a cookbook for working out plank expansions. It really
                        should be read from the beginning to get an understanding of what's going
                        on, though some of the later stuff that isn't relevant to simple
                        boatbuilding can be skipped. Unlike Sam's boatbuilding book and articles,
                        Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development for Draftsmen and Loftsmen and
                        Sheet metal Workers isn't aimed at the amateur boatbuilder.

                        On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 01:32:57 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                        > What's not to trust? Look at the finished document and decide if you
                        > did it right.
                        >
                        > My V30 is discontinued now. In one of those curiosities of Amazon
                        > pricing the last two are selling for $198 each. This one seems to be
                        > the replacement.
                        > http://tinyurl.com/bcvv4r9
                        > So, Tim? are you fixed up to do this job? If you want to experiment,
                        > just one chapter on plank expansions might have broad appeal.

                        --
                        John (jkohnen@...)
                        Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
                        sometimes has to eat them. (Adlai Stevenson)
                      • Mark Albanese
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                          The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Chapter
                          one then?
                          I'm thinking that even breaking it up into the separate chapters
                          would make for only a dozen or so files.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                            Thirteen files, or maybe fourteen if the introductory stuff goes in a
                            separate file:

                            DEDICATION

                            ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

                            INTRODUCTION

                            I. METHODS OF DEPICTING AND DIMENSIONING SHAPE OF A DRAWING 3

                            II. THE MOLD LOFT FLOOR 10

                            III. ELEMENTARY GEOMETRY EMPLOYED ON A LOFT FLOOR 14

                            IV. PRINCIPLES OF PLANE AND SOLID GEOMETRY --
                            PROJECTION OF LINES AND SURFACES . 20

                            V. TRUE LENGTHS OF LINES AND MEASUREMENT OF ANGLES 24

                            VI. VISUAL FAIRING 28

                            VII. GEOMETRIC FAIRING 38

                            VIII. ELEMENTARY DEVELOPMENTS 48

                            IX. PRINCIPLES OF SHELL DEVELOPMENT 54

                            X. SHELL PLATE DEVELOPMENT 62

                            XI. TEMPLATES 72

                            XII. THE PLATING MODEL 80

                            XIII. LAYOUT PROBLEMS 84

                            If one works their way through the whole book (I haven't -- yet <g>)
                            they'll be an expert on dealing with sheet materials. :o) If you use a CAD
                            program to play around with the examples you'll learn a lot, without the
                            tedium of manual drafting.

                            Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development for Draftsmen and Loftsmen and
                            Sheet Metal Workers is out of print, and expensive on the used market (see
                            link below, I'm lucky I got mine cheap years ago <g>), so Tim is doing a
                            great service!

                            http://preview.tinyurl.com/cl3kkxh

                            On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 18:08:53 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                            > The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Chapter
                            > one then?
                            > I'm thinking that even breaking it up into the separate chapters
                            > would make for only a dozen or so files.

                            --
                            John (jkohnen@...)
                            The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job
                            of thinking. (John Kenneth Galbraith)
                          • graeme
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                              A Rabl teaser:
                              http://www.scribd.com/doc/2631165/FlyingCloud

                              I'm suprised a quick search doesn't turn up a free download somewhere of Ship and Aircraft Fairing...

                              Michalak, Bolger, Atkins etc etc works are all out there beating copyright, saving trees, eg., just one link (with a deliberate transposed typo) for John Gardner:
                              http://www6.zetatalk.com/docs/Boast/The_Dory-Boat_Book_1978.pdf

                              Graeme