Michalak Circles

  • okiebobby@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 52 , Dec 3, 2012
      I caught myself in a 'Michalak Circle' today.

      History: Triloboats Dave in furledsails.com podcast #131 or #132 stated that when he and Anke were building a Bolger boat; they kept getting caught in 'Bolger Circles.' He explained they would think of modifying the build of their boat, but ultimately end-up back to the way Bolger had originally designed things, after thinking of the negatives affects of the changes.

      Well I've been thinking I'd like less wind resistance, as opposed to the flat front windows on Caroline. I've thought about different ways, and most result in less forward headroom. Headroom seems like a good thing, so I haven't continued down this path. Also, I thought it would be nice to have more storage.

      Today it hit me, I could angle the front deck so that it rises more toward the cabin. This would reduce windage without reducing headroom, and also give me more storage under the deck.

      I draw in the draft modification on Sketchup, and then the negative hits me. Raising the foredeck also means it would be more difficult to get in and out of the cabin. So I 'circled' back, scrapping the modification.

      At that moment, I thought of the term coined by Dave.

      I consider Michalak's plans to be the most Bolger like of small boat designers. This is quite a compliment. In addition, I would even say Michalak has designed boats that may be improvements (considering your needs) on similar Bolger boats; which is a bold statement.

      So the 'Michalak Circle' shouldn't have surprised me.
    • Andres Espino
      Message 52 of 52 , Dec 11, 2012
        LMAO  thats cool yes I can relate!

        Andrew

        From: Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...>
        To: "Michalak@yahoogroups.com" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:40:32 -0800 (PST)

        As a boy I learned boating in Boy Scouts and our scoutmaster i Portsmouth had us build a 19ft banks dory which we boys sailed all over the harbor.  No adults aboard we were on the Buddy system (unheard of today).  Dories have long oars and a hole in the fwd seat lets an oar go down into a step and become a mast for a lug sail.  Ballast was rocks or sandbags inside on the bottom... the ides being if the boat overturns the rocks fall out and it can be bailed out and re-boarded.

        We had some lobster pots and grew bolder and I remember we would sometimes sail as far as 5 miles out.  One time we did overturn and the rocks did indeed fall out and we bailed and crawled back aboard.. But now without ballast it was too tender for the sail, so we had to row home.  Most dories support 2 sets of oars so 2 of us rowed and the 3rd manned a tiller and shouted encouragement.  As I recall we were all afternoon getting back.. finally with the help of the tide as it started in.

        I learned two things from the experience.. first that I love and trust dories and all their sharpie cousins as seaworthy boats.  Second... I hate to row!  LOL

        Andrew