Re: Bow eye placement / support for Caroline

  • sharpie3444
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
      Consider winch heigth on the trailer! Consider glassing the inside of the hull and adding a cross piece to anchor the bolt (s) into to spread the loading of any strain / pull from the Bow eye

      David

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@..." <okiebobby@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for help on where to place the bow eye on Caroline, and how to support it.
      >
      > The sharp bow lines of Caroline and the other Toto prodigies, along with the taped seems, makes me concerned about ripping the bow eye through the hull when winching to the trailer.
      >
      > Could anybody with a heavier version of Toto (e.g. Caroline, Caprice, Cormorant...) provide some advice.
      >
      > Here is a link to to a picture of Pearl built by Duckworks Chuck, and currently listed for sale (for a song) by Honeymooners Chris & Cathy. [Both links go to the same photo, but sometimes these links don't do what you hope; so I'm using a belt and suspenders here]:
      >
      > http://c2cruising.blogspot.com/2012/10/loaded-up-and-ready-to-go.html
      >
      > http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yORKInUgfpg/UHbb5I4zzpI/AAAAAAAAAAc/eJhahu3E8Bg/s1600/sail+oklahoma+and+misc+005.JPG
      >
      > I know this boat has to be as tuff as nails since it has been threw hell and back. How is the bow eye supported? Are you pleased with it? How would you do it, if you had a do-over?
      >
      > I would like to go all out on bow eye support. Good enough for a truck commercial where they show unbelievable amounts of things being towed and hung from the air.

    • Martin Houston
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
        I would add a wood stem, glass it in heavily & bolt her through with sealant. Could lift the whole boat with it.