Re: Just launched my new Skat

  • shooter1941
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2012
      Hello Dennis,

      I have looked at all youyr pictures of Skat. Congratulations on a superb
      build. She is beautiful, you must be very proud.

      You may have seen my forum topic post titled "WHICH BOAT TO BUILD"in
      which I describe the parameters for the type of bsailboat to build as my
      first boat build. I have decided on two boats as candidates for my boat
      build; Skat and and Mayfly 12. I am leaaning toward Skat for the
      following reasons. V Hull vs "Flattie, Seats, and a more classic
      looking design.

      I wonder if I could impose on you to provide me with a little advice
      and information regarding the build of your Skat. First do you
      believe this is an appropriate boat for a first time boat builder?
      Approximately how many labor hours did you expend building the boat.
      In one of your pics you show the base of the mast. Could you tell what
      material you used for the mast, it appears to be PVC pipe?? Also what
      is your boom and gaff material? Did you glass both hull and bottom
      panels or just the bottom panels? And lastly what is your opinion
      regarding the quality of the Michalak plans?

      Any other advice or infomation that you could offer would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Many thanks,

      Colin Buxton

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@...> wrote:

      > She sails like a dream Here's a link to some pics of the process:
      >
      > http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/
      >
      > Dennis

    • fiddleguy2
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2012
        Thanks to all for all the compliments - I think the boat looks better in
        the pictures than in person - kind of that "from 60 ft away or 60 mph"
        thing. Also I just realized that I had not signed up for email notice
        of responses to my post - sorry for the late response(s).

        Colin - as to your questions, I would be happy to offer my opinion which
        is only that - not to be taken as being authoritative.

        I think a first time builder could handle it especially with the
        help/advice of many experienced builders on this forum. I didn't keep
        track of the hours as I am retired (or just plain tired) and work when
        the idea moves me. I started in April and finished about six or seven
        months later. I did do some extra work which was not included in the
        design, adding time. The mast is made from an aluminum tube, 2 1/2" in
        outside diameter with a .075" wall thickness. I believe it used to be a
        spinnaker pole off a much larger boat. I wanted to stiffen the lower
        two-thirds of mast as it felt too flexible so I fitted (with some work)
        a 10' piece of 2" (I.D) PVC inside. That seemed to stiffen it
        considerably. The plan calls for a 3" O.D. spruce mast if I remember
        correctly. For the boom and gaff I laminated two pieces of clear 1 x 2
        pine (3/4" x 1 1/2") together. We did have it out in winds strong
        enough to reef (I felt) and it didn't fail (yet). The entire bottom is
        covered in glass with an additional layer or layers on the chines and
        keel. Single glass strips on the chines inside and double inside on the
        keel area. Everything else has at least two coats of epoxy before
        paint. As to the plans, all the information I needed was there although
        thorough study was needed at times. I haven't had it out in punishing
        weather yet but I am becoming more confident with the design the more I
        sail it - I think that's the best measure of quality. Hope this helps.

        Dennis