RE: [Michalak] Bow eye placement / support for Caroline

  • Giuliano Girometta
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
      I will also reinforce the backing plate with a breast hook in order to distribute the load also toward the planking instead of just on the stem.

      Giuliano

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2012
        On the ts16 it's a Ubolt,both "legs" pass through bow the backing block.Ubolt spreads the load from a single eyebolt to twin retaining bolts.

        -Sigurd Olson

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2012
          How hard is epoxy to drill through?

          ________________________________
          On the ts16 it's a Ubolt,both "legs" pass through bow the backing block.Ubolt spreads the load from a single eyebolt to twin retaining bolts.

          -Sigurd Olson

          ________________________________
          Or you could do both. Fit a block of wood in the bow and drill an
          oversize hole for the bow eye. Fill everything with thickened glop and
          glas over. Then re-drill the hole to the proper size. Have an large
          washer and locked in nut. Maybe held in place with Loctite sealant.

          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Trussell" <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

          > One way is to build a glob of epoxy and glass where you want to put
          the bow
          > eye. Alternatively, you could fit a block of wood inside the 'stem'
          where
          > you want to put the bow eye.
          >

          > JohnT
          >

          > _____

        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2012
            A few inches for a 5/8ths bolt won't kill your drill.

          • john colley
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
              its plastic! The drill wont know its there!

              -Sigurd Olson

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
                Drilling an over-sized hole, filling it with goop and then drilling the
                correct sized hole means that the edge grain of the plywood gets sealed.
                So only applies to plywood for the most part.

                It is also very important to do this for any scupper openings or
                self-draining end wells that are popular in Michalak and Bolger
                designs. Try to seal any edge grain as best you can and make sure they
                stay open. Dead leaves and dirt stuck in drains is not a good combo.
                Nels

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

                > its plastic! The drill wont know its there!

                > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
                magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                > -Sigurd Olson
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Hajo Smulders
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Using the oversized hole / epoxy technique, I will actually tap a thread
                  into the epoxy and then back that with a backing plate or giant washer and
                  a nut.

                  Hajo
                  --

                  "I can�t believe I�ve turned into a typical old man. I can�t believe it. I
                  was young just minutes ago..." (M. Sendak)

                  On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM, prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Drilling an over-sized hole, filling it with goop and then drilling the
                  > correct sized hole means that the edge grain of the plywood gets sealed.
                  > So only applies to plywood for the most part.
                  >
                  > It is also very important to do this for any scupper openings or
                  > self-draining end wells that are popular in Michalak and Bolger
                  > designs. Try to seal any edge grain as best you can and make sure they
                  > stay open. Dead leaves and dirt stuck in drains is not a good combo.
                  > Nels
                  >

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > its plastic! The drill wont know its there!
                  > >
                  > > �
                  > > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
                  > magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                  > > -Sigurd Olson
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • Joseph Stromski
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
                    My course of action on a s&g boat like Caroline would be to beef up the fillet
                    with milled fibers in the epoxy mix, and maybe use a wider than normal tape in
                    the bow area. Or reinforce with some scrap cloth. All in an effort to spread the
                    load to a greater area. Then drill through the fillet, and use a stainless
                    u-bolt and some sort of backing plate. 5/8 sounds overkill, I'd think a 3/8
                    would suffice. Instead of Hajo's washer backing plate, I used a nylon cleat. It
                    serves for tying off the anchor line or for mooring. I had to bore the holes out
                    a little on the cleat, but the spacing was right for the u-bolt I used. As
                    always, more than one way to skin this particular cat.
                    Best,
                    Joe
                    --inal Message ----
                    Using the oversized hole / epoxy technique, I will actually tap a thread
                    into the epoxy and then back that with a backing plate or giant washer and
                    a nut.

                    Hajo
                    --

                    "I can’t believe I’ve turned into a typical old man. I can’t believe it. I
                    was young just minutes ago..." (M. Sendak)

                    On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM, prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Drilling an over-sized hole, filling it with goop and then drilling the
                    > correct sized hole means that the edge grain of the plywood gets sealed.
                    > So only applies to plywood for the most part.
                    >
                    > It is also very important to do this for any scupper openings or
                    > self-draining end wells that are popular in Michalak and Bolger
                    > designs. Try to seal any edge grain as best you can and make sure they
                    > stay open. Dead leaves and dirt stuck in drains is not a good combo.
                    > Nels
                    >

                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > its plastic! The drill wont know its there!

                    > > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
                    > magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                    > > -Sigurd Olson
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • sharpie3444
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
                      Consider winch heigth on the trailer! Consider glassing the inside of the hull and adding a cross piece to anchor the bolt (s) into to spread the loading of any strain / pull from the Bow eye

                      David

                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@..." <okiebobby@...> wrote:

                      > I'm looking for help on where to place the bow eye on Caroline, and how to support it.
                      >
                      > The sharp bow lines of Caroline and the other Toto prodigies, along with the taped seems, makes me concerned about ripping the bow eye through the hull when winching to the trailer.
                      >
                      > Could anybody with a heavier version of Toto (e.g. Caroline, Caprice, Cormorant...) provide some advice.
                      >
                      > Here is a link to to a picture of Pearl built by Duckworks Chuck, and currently listed for sale (for a song) by Honeymooners Chris & Cathy. [Both links go to the same photo, but sometimes these links don't do what you hope; so I'm using a belt and suspenders here]:
                      >
                      > http://c2cruising.blogspot.com/2012/10/loaded-up-and-ready-to-go.html
                      >
                      > http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yORKInUgfpg/UHbb5I4zzpI/AAAAAAAAAAc/eJhahu3E8Bg/s1600/sail+oklahoma+and+misc+005.JPG
                      >
                      > I know this boat has to be as tuff as nails since it has been threw hell and back. How is the bow eye supported? Are you pleased with it? How would you do it, if you had a do-over?
                      >
                      > I would like to go all out on bow eye support. Good enough for a truck commercial where they show unbelievable amounts of things being towed and hung from the air.

                    • Martin Houston
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
                        I would add a wood stem, glass it in heavily & bolt her through with sealant. Could lift the whole boat with it.