Lug sail size reduction

  • tsgosnell
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
      I need a small lugsail for my larsboat/trilars. It came with the plans for the leg o mutton sprit, but I dont want a 16 ft mast, and prefer a lug anyway. I have plans for the 74sqft lug already, anyone know if I can just proportionally reduce them to make a smaller lug? Say taking 12 inches off each measurement? Looking to end up with a lug about 36-44 sq ft...
      Thanks
      Scott
    • tsgosnell
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@...> wrote:

        > I need a small lugsail for my larsboat/trilars. It came with the plans for the leg o mutton sprit, but I dont want a 16 ft mast, and prefer a lug anyway. I have plans for the 74sqft lug already, anyone know if I can just proportionally reduce them to make a smaller lug? Say taking 12 inches off each measurement? Looking to end up with a lug about 36-44 sq ft...
        > Thanks
        > Scott

        Thanks, someone sent me a link to a 37sqft lug.
      • shooter1941
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
          I too an looking for a small lugsail. Would tyou please share the link
          Thank you

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@...> wrote:

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" <tsgosnell@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I need a small lugsail for my larsboat/trilars. It came with the plans for the leg o mutton sprit, but I dont want a 16 ft mast, and prefer a lug anyway. I have plans for the 74sqft lug already, anyone know if I can just proportionally reduce them to make a smaller lug? Say taking 12 inches off each measurement? Looking to end up with a lug about 36-44 sq ft...
          > > Thanks
          > > Scott
          > >
          > Thanks, someone sent me a link to a 37sqft lug.

        • Tim Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
            Why not just put a reef in it? Heck of a lot easier to reduce sail than it
            is to add it. Although, a bunting along the foot of a lug is easy enough.
            Tim P Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder

          • tsgosnell
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
              http://www.instructables.com/id/SteamPunkLandSailer/
              Heres the link