Re: [Michalak] New to Group and Boat

  • Martin Houston
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hi Ron. You came to the right place. There are folks here who have been building & sailing thier boats all their lives. I recommend using the best materials you can afford & glass the heck out of it with epoxy. Works for me. I have videos on youtube: hustn99
      Martin

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
        Welcome to the group. All of Jim's boats are really well thought out
        designs. Definitely no frills or fat. If you're somewhat handy, or can
        learn to be, putting an AF4 together should be no big deal. You just
        need some patience and perseverance, not master craftsman type skills,
        to be successful.
        My AF4 is a fantastic river and lake boat, I love her to pieces.
        Best,
        Joe
        On 11/28/2012 1:14 PM, butterchurn2002 wrote:

        > Thanks for the replies. I feel better about building with wood and
        > keeping it in good shape after reading your replies. This appears to
        > be a very friendly group and I am going to enjoy learning from all of you.
        >
        > Ron

      • butterchurn2002
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
          Hi Martin,

          I have seen your videos and I really like them!

          How's Jani-J?

          Ron

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Martin Houston <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ron. You came to the right place. There are folks here who have been building & sailing thier boats all their lives. I recommend using the best materials you can afford & glass the heck out of it with epoxy. Works for me. I have videos on youtube: hustn99
          > Martin
          >

          > ________________________________

        • butterchurn2002
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
            Hi Nels,

            Thanks for the links! I enjoyed them very much.

            Ron

            > Ron,
            > Being interested in an AF4 you will no doubt be interested in the
            > voyages and exploits of Rene Vidmer in his AF4B. You can read about
            > some of it here in the Files section.

            > Or search his name at Duckworks mag.
            >
            > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/
            >
            > <http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3913451939716508%3A4xezl0-wbj7\
            > &ie=ISO-8859-1&q=rene+vidmer&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=rene%20vidmer&gsc\
            > .page=1>
            >
            > Rene has well over 8,000 miles on his "Kiss Of The Wolf". And get this -
            > I hear it is over somewhere in northern Europe now - I think Finland? He
            > is looking for another one to use back home in the Allenstown PA and
            > around Florida area.
            >
            > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4/breve/index.htm
            >
            > Nels
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "butterchurn2002" <amazingmisterx@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for the replies. I feel better about building with wood and
            > keeping it in good shape after reading your replies. This appears to be
            > a very friendly group and I am going to enjoy learning from all of you.
            > >
            > > Ron

          • Martin Houston
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
              Thanks Ron. The Jani J is now Winterized & waiting for Summer & warm weather. We now have a 2005 Ford F350 to tow her with & plan on going to Lake Oahe, Missouri River for a week then. We have outgrown the Black Hills lakes & need some big water. Maby the Gulf Coast. Going to check it out when I do the Texas 200 in June.
              Martin