New to Group and Boat

  • butterchurn2002
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
      Hello Everyone!

      My name is Ron and I live in central Ohio. I am new to the group and I wanted to say "Howdy!"

      I have never built anything like this before so I am a little hesitant but I thought this was a good place to come for mentoring if I have questions.

      I am not sure which boat to build, but I seem to be gravitating toward the AF4. Ultimately what I would really like to do is cruise the rivers and lakes of the Eastern USA. I think I should get some experience with a simpler design before I go for a canal/river cruiser that could take me on more ambitious cruises.

      What do you think?

      Also, I am a little anxious of building in wood and wonder what to do to make sure my investment doesn't rot. What do you do to protect the money you put into a wood boat?

      Anyhow, thanks for listening and I am looking forward to learning.

      Ron
    • John Boy
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
        Welcome Ron! the AF4 would be a great starting point. Cover the bottom with some epoxy and paint the rest. If you keep it in the barn or garage, it'll last a good ten years. Leave it out for a winter and let it fill with leaves, snow, and rain and it'll last a year. ------------------------------ On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 8:09 PM CST butterchurn2002 wrote: >Hello Everyone! > >My name is Ron and I live in central Ohio. I am new to the group and I wanted to say "Howdy!" > >I have never built anything like this before so I am a little hesitant but I thought this was a good place to come for mentoring if I have questions. > >I am not sure which boat to build, but I seem to be gravitating toward the AF4. Ultimately what I would really like to do is cruise the rivers and lakes of the Eastern USA. I think I should get some experience with a simpler design before I go for a canal/river cruiser that could take me on more ambitious cruises. > >What do you
        think? > >Also, I am a little anxious of building in wood and wonder what to do to make sure my investment doesn't rot. What do you do to protect the money you put into a wood boat? > >Anyhow, thanks for listening and I am looking forward to learning. > >Ron >
      • D.G. Cassidy
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2012
          AF4 would make a fine river cruiser -- big enough to take trips of several days with no problem (I do it with the smaller AF3).

          The secret to protecting your boat from rot is to never let it start.
          1 - Make sure all joints are filleted and exposed edges are sealed with epoxy.
          (If you are not able to build with epoxy, use something else that will allow you to seal in those edges and joints. Other types of adhesives, calking products -- whatever. The point is to never let water get to those joints.)
          2 - Do not create any permanently enclosed space. Make sure every nook and cranny has access to fresh air. If you have enclosed spaces, cut a hole and make a hatch cover so you can air those spaces out regularly.
          3 - Fix any large scrapes immediately. If you open up the paint seal and expose bare wood, dry it out and get it covered with a sealer and fresh paint as soon as possible.
          4 - Do not store in such a way that there is ever standing water anywhere. A secure winter cover, or better yet -- inside winter storage is the key. (Because I need my garage for cars in the winter, I pay $70 a month from Nov - April for one of those storage space places that are everywhere. I consider it a good investment to the health and longevity of my boat.)
          5 - Keep it clean. Wash out the sand, dirt, and cracker crumbs regularly. Well-sealed joints should allow you to thoroughly wash and rinse every area of the boat.
          6 - Expose the boat to sunshine. Dry out every area of the boat after every trip.
          7 - Regularly inspect every inch of your boat for the beginnings of rot. check every joint. check for any lifting paint that could indicate rot underneath. A small area of rot is easy to deal with. Take care of any that crop up immediately.

          It's not as involved as it sounds here. It's basically seal it, clean it, dry it out, inspect. If you do those things, you'll get decades out of your boat.

          DGC

          On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:53 PM, John Boy wrote:

          > Welcome Ron! the AF4 would be a great starting point. Cover the bottom with some epoxy and paint the rest. If you keep it in the barn or garage, it'll last a good ten years. Leave it out for a winter and let it fill with leaves, snow, and rain and it'll last a year. ------------------------------ On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 8:09 PM CST butterchurn2002 wrote: >Hello Everyone! > >My name is Ron and I live in central Ohio. I am new to the group and I wanted to say "Howdy!" > >I have never built anything like this before so I am a little hesitant but I thought this was a good place to come for mentoring if I have questions. > >I am not sure which boat to build, but I seem to be gravitating toward the AF4. Ultimately what I would really like to do is cruise the rivers and lakes of the Eastern USA. I think I should get some experience with a simpler design before I go for a canal/river cruiser that could take me on more ambitious cruises. > >What do you
          > think? > >Also, I am a little anxious of building in wood and wonder what to do to make sure my investment doesn't rot. What do you do to protect the money you put into a wood boat? > >Anyhow, thanks for listening and I am looking forward to learning. > >Ron >

        • alan enlow
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
            Welcome to the group. You willl find  this a great group. I also belong to Duckworks
            forum group and both groups have some members in common. Jim Michalak
             is a super guy, as are the other folks in the group. I have met Jim at tha Rend lake Messabout  a few years back and have plans to attend again in 2013.  Again welcome.--- On Tue, 11/27/12, butterchurn2002 <amazingmisterx@...> wrote:

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
              Thanks for the replies. I feel better about building with wood and keeping it in good shape after reading your replies. This appears to be a very friendly group and I am going to enjoy learning from all of you.

              Ron
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
                Ron,
                Being interested in an AF4 you will no doubt be interested in the
                voyages and exploits of Rene Vidmer in his AF4B. You can read about
                some of it here in the Files section.

                Or search his name at Duckworks mag.

                http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

                <http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3913451939716508%3A4xezl0-wbj7\
                &ie=ISO-8859-1&q=rene+vidmer&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=rene%20vidmer&gsc\
                .page=1>

                Rene has well over 8,000 miles on his "Kiss Of The Wolf". And get this -
                I hear it is over somewhere in northern Europe now - I think Finland? He
                is looking for another one to use back home in the Allenstown PA and
                around Florida area.

                http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4/breve/index.htm

                Nels

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "butterchurn2002" <amazingmisterx@...>
                wrote:

                > Thanks for the replies. I feel better about building with wood and
                keeping it in good shape after reading your replies. This appears to be
                a very friendly group and I am going to enjoy learning from all of you.

                > Ron

              • Martin Houston
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
                  Hi Ron. You came to the right place. There are folks here who have been building & sailing thier boats all their lives. I recommend using the best materials you can afford & glass the heck out of it with epoxy. Works for me. I have videos on youtube: hustn99
                  Martin

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 28, 2012
                    Welcome to the group. All of Jim's boats are really well thought out
                    designs. Definitely no frills or fat. If you're somewhat handy, or can
                    learn to be, putting an AF4 together should be no big deal. You just
                    need some patience and perseverance, not master craftsman type skills,
                    to be successful.
                    My AF4 is a fantastic river and lake boat, I love her to pieces.
                    Best,
                    Joe
                    On 11/28/2012 1:14 PM, butterchurn2002 wrote:

                    > Thanks for the replies. I feel better about building with wood and
                    > keeping it in good shape after reading your replies. This appears to
                    > be a very friendly group and I am going to enjoy learning from all of you.
                    >
                    > Ron

                  • butterchurn2002
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
                      Hi Martin,

                      I have seen your videos and I really like them!

                      How's Jani-J?

                      Ron

                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Martin Houston <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Ron. You came to the right place. There are folks here who have been building & sailing thier boats all their lives. I recommend using the best materials you can afford & glass the heck out of it with epoxy. Works for me. I have videos on youtube: hustn99
                      > Martin
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • butterchurn2002
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
                        Hi Nels,

                        Thanks for the links! I enjoyed them very much.

                        Ron

                        > Ron,
                        > Being interested in an AF4 you will no doubt be interested in the
                        > voyages and exploits of Rene Vidmer in his AF4B. You can read about
                        > some of it here in the Files section.

                        > Or search his name at Duckworks mag.
                        >
                        > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/
                        >
                        > <http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3913451939716508%3A4xezl0-wbj7\
                        > &ie=ISO-8859-1&q=rene+vidmer&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=rene%20vidmer&gsc\
                        > .page=1>
                        >
                        > Rene has well over 8,000 miles on his "Kiss Of The Wolf". And get this -
                        > I hear it is over somewhere in northern Europe now - I think Finland? He
                        > is looking for another one to use back home in the Allenstown PA and
                        > around Florida area.
                        >
                        > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4/breve/index.htm
                        >
                        > Nels
                        >
                        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "butterchurn2002" <amazingmisterx@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the replies. I feel better about building with wood and
                        > keeping it in good shape after reading your replies. This appears to be
                        > a very friendly group and I am going to enjoy learning from all of you.
                        > >
                        > > Ron

                      • Martin Houston
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 2, 2012
                          Thanks Ron. The Jani J is now Winterized & waiting for Summer & warm weather. We now have a 2005 Ford F350 to tow her with & plan on going to Lake Oahe, Missouri River for a week then. We have outgrown the Black Hills lakes & need some big water. Maby the Gulf Coast. Going to check it out when I do the Texas 200 in June.
                          Martin