Just launched my new Skat

  • Dennis Marshall
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
      She sails like a dream!  Here's a link to some pics of the process:

      http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/

      Dennis

    • joe_mapango
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
        The most beautiful scat I have ever seen. Relly, your workmanship is stunning!

        Chris Curtis
        S/V Romany
        curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@...> wrote:

        > She sails like a dream!  Here's a link to some pics of the process:
        >
        > http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/
        >
        > Dennis

      • vtrockminer96
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
          You do beautiful work! Thanks for sharing your photos!

          - Tim

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@...> wrote:

          > She sails like a dream!  Here's a link to some pics of the process:
          >
          > http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/
          >
          > Dennis

        • Dave Gentry
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
            Very nice, Dennis - congrats!
          • Jon Larson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
              Beautiful boat, beautifully done. Congrats.
            • shooter1941
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
                Dennis,
                Your Skat is stunning! I have been thinking about building Skat. See my post "WHICH BOAT TO BUILD". Based on your build experience would you reccommend Skat to a first time builder?
                Thank you,
                Colin

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "joe_mapango" <ccurtis-keyword-crusing.65bae6@...> wrote:

                > The most beautiful scat I have ever seen. Relly, your workmanship is stunning!
                >
                > Chris Curtis
                > S/V Romany
                > curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com
                >
                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@> wrote:
                > >
                > > She sails like a dream!  Here's a link to some pics of the process:
                > >
                > > http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/
                > >
                > > Dennis

              • patrickofwellington
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
                  Great Job Dennis,
                  The improvements, like the flotation chamber in the back, the mast step idea, and the hatch on the top of the front deck are going to make that boat very practical and safe.
                  I don't remember you looking so young(as in the pictures) when I saw you at Caya Costa. ;-)
                  Pat "Kat Kan Dew"

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@...> wrote:

                  > She sails like a dream!  Here's a link to some pics of the process:
                  >
                  > http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/
                  >
                  > Dennis

                • patrickofwellington
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
                    PS you should post you Fiddle sight, That work is awesome.

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "patrickofwellington" <eastshorecabinetry@...> wrote:

                    > Great Job Dennis,
                    > The improvements, like the flotation chamber in the back, the mast step idea, and the hatch on the top of the front deck are going to make that boat very practical and safe.
                    > I don't remember you looking so young(as in the pictures) when I saw you at Caya Costa. ;-)
                    > Pat "Kat Kan Dew"
                    >
                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > She sails like a dream!  Here's a link to some pics of the process:
                    > >
                    > > http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/
                    > >
                    > > Dennis

                  • shooter1941
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2012
                      Hello Dennis,

                      I have looked at all youyr pictures of Skat. Congratulations on a superb
                      build. She is beautiful, you must be very proud.

                      You may have seen my forum topic post titled "WHICH BOAT TO BUILD"in
                      which I describe the parameters for the type of bsailboat to build as my
                      first boat build. I have decided on two boats as candidates for my boat
                      build; Skat and and Mayfly 12. I am leaaning toward Skat for the
                      following reasons. V Hull vs "Flattie, Seats, and a more classic
                      looking design.

                      I wonder if I could impose on you to provide me with a little advice
                      and information regarding the build of your Skat. First do you
                      believe this is an appropriate boat for a first time boat builder?
                      Approximately how many labor hours did you expend building the boat.
                      In one of your pics you show the base of the mast. Could you tell what
                      material you used for the mast, it appears to be PVC pipe?? Also what
                      is your boom and gaff material? Did you glass both hull and bottom
                      panels or just the bottom panels? And lastly what is your opinion
                      regarding the quality of the Michalak plans?

                      Any other advice or infomation that you could offer would be greatly
                      appreciated.

                      Many thanks,

                      Colin Buxton

                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Marshall <fiddleguy2@...> wrote:

                      > She sails like a dream Here's a link to some pics of the process:
                      >
                      > http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/fiddlerami/2012/April/Skat/
                      >
                      > Dennis

                    • fiddleguy2
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 11, 2012
                        Thanks to all for all the compliments - I think the boat looks better in
                        the pictures than in person - kind of that "from 60 ft away or 60 mph"
                        thing. Also I just realized that I had not signed up for email notice
                        of responses to my post - sorry for the late response(s).

                        Colin - as to your questions, I would be happy to offer my opinion which
                        is only that - not to be taken as being authoritative.

                        I think a first time builder could handle it especially with the
                        help/advice of many experienced builders on this forum. I didn't keep
                        track of the hours as I am retired (or just plain tired) and work when
                        the idea moves me. I started in April and finished about six or seven
                        months later. I did do some extra work which was not included in the
                        design, adding time. The mast is made from an aluminum tube, 2 1/2" in
                        outside diameter with a .075" wall thickness. I believe it used to be a
                        spinnaker pole off a much larger boat. I wanted to stiffen the lower
                        two-thirds of mast as it felt too flexible so I fitted (with some work)
                        a 10' piece of 2" (I.D) PVC inside. That seemed to stiffen it
                        considerably. The plan calls for a 3" O.D. spruce mast if I remember
                        correctly. For the boom and gaff I laminated two pieces of clear 1 x 2
                        pine (3/4" x 1 1/2") together. We did have it out in winds strong
                        enough to reef (I felt) and it didn't fail (yet). The entire bottom is
                        covered in glass with an additional layer or layers on the chines and
                        keel. Single glass strips on the chines inside and double inside on the
                        keel area. Everything else has at least two coats of epoxy before
                        paint. As to the plans, all the information I needed was there although
                        thorough study was needed at times. I haven't had it out in punishing
                        weather yet but I am becoming more confident with the design the more I
                        sail it - I think that's the best measure of quality. Hope this helps.

                        Dennis