Re: Tight Squeeze

  • JeffreyM
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2012
      I look at all Jim's Toto-inspired boats (Caprice has been in the news, since one's for sale) and think it has a lot of wasted length. That tremendous bow overhang seems like it wouldn't be hurt by knocking off a foot, well above the waterline. I suppose it would be major ugly. But then I'm all about the maximum of boat in the smallest package.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@..." <okiebobby@...> wrote:

      > I received the Caroline plans in the mail today. It looks like she is all of 18' feet not counting the rudder.
      >
      > I was sorta expecting her to be 18' including the rudder, so I was thinking she would be about 17' without the rudder. Wrong! Like I said, I assumed wrong (not the first time [or the last]). And to top it off, I thought her beam was 5.5' instead of 6'; where I got that I don't have a clue. Then to make things worse, I was thinking my current boat stored at 5' wide, but I measured today and she is only taking up 4' of width in the garage.
      >
      > The garage is where I'm going with this. And it looks like Caroline would fit there, but snuggly. Snugger by a foot in each direction from my initial ballpark estimations.
      >
      > So I still haven't decided if I lucked out or screwed-up.
      >
      > I like to keep the boat in the garage, and for a number of reasons, but mostly since it is convenient to mess with. I've debated for a number of years whether or not I should go with as much boat as the garage will hold, or to go as small as I'm willing accept. I had come to the conclusion that actually I want the longest boat the garage will hold, while going with the narrowist boat I'm willing to accept. I've been homing in on about 5.5' of beam, and at least 17' LOA.
      >
      > This may be just right, but I'm curious if building her at 95% might be better for me. Surely 5% wouldn't cause too much trouble??? I could even chop the end of the pointed nose off some, resulting in a pram look; that bow looks like the nose would never touch water anyway? I sure don't like a bow to bury.
      >
      > If I had any sense, I would just build it to spec and enjoy myself. Yeah, that's what I need to do.
      >
      > Thanks guys for talking me through this.

    • David Calloway
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2012
        I would think the bow is needed for wave piercing, but I'm no expert. I
        recommend that you contact Jim before making changes..... I did and luckily
        he approved.

        dc