Re: [Michalak] Sketchup

  • Jake Peters
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
      I never thought of using Sketchup for this purpose. Great idea that I will
      try.

      On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM, okiebobby@... <okiebobby@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I played with building models on a few boats I considered building in the
      > past, and a model builder I'm not. Nothing against model building. I think
      > it's a great learning exercise prior to the actual build, and I would love
      > to have a three foot model of my boat on the shelf. I'm just too lazy, and
      > unskilled.
      >
      > Fortunately technology provides an alternative for the lazy and unskilled,
      > and for me it is in the form of Sketchup software (plus I'm cheap, and it's
      > free). I started building a virtual 3D model of Caroline in Sketchup last
      > night, and that is when I really became appreciative of Michalak's work.
      > The more I look over Jim Michalak's Caroline plans, the more I like them,
      > and the more respect I have for his spartan approach.
      >
      > Doing a model, even a virtual model, really does help the builder gain a
      > better understanding (particularly a first time builder like myself). Once
      > I started to model the first bulkhead, I immediately could see this extra
      > upfront work is going to save me time in the long run. Sketchup also will
      > provide me nearly unlimited measurements, angles, and views practically on
      > demand (well once I get more familiar with the software).
      >
      > Plus I'm enjoying it, and that is what this boatbuilding is all about.
      > Modeling (including cyber modeling) is an extension of the build
      > experience; just as the social aspect of this forum adds to the enjoyment;
      > or down the road, a mess-about to display the accomplishment (and a chance
      > to drink a beer with you fine gents [and ladies]).
      >
      > Well just felt like sharing.

    • tomek wilamowski
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
        Yes ! It is very interesting !Could You provide us with short sequence
        of your steps to make the model? Also pict's or print screns or so .
        Regards
        Tomas

      • okiebobby@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
          Like I said, I'm learning as I go. I'm using sketchup kind of like a new pilot would use a flight simulator. I build a 3D model of the pieces in sketch up, prior to building the actual piece.

          For example: Per the plans, Step-1 is the stem. I built a 3D model of stem, prior to cutting the stem on my table saw.

          Sheet-1, the lines diagram of the plans, is a map of where all the key pieces of he puzzle line-up. Using this diagram I made 'guidepoints' in sketch up.

          Then using Sheet-2, the construction diagram of the plans, I read the designer's stem dimensions. I built a cyber stem, already lined-up and hanging where it will be within the lines diagram.

          Oh, one more thing. For me, I'm building a half model in sketchup. I think that will allow me to spin the model around and get better perspectives as it gets complete.

          By the way, the designer having Step-1 be this little 6" stem was really brilliant. No gluing; I just used scrap lumber (which happened to be a very nice scrap I had been reserving). It was a real confidence builder. Granted without a table saw it would require some skills.

          For now, I'm not comfortable sharing this file, or even doing screen prints. I may do some screen prints later, but I need to be careful and do it in a way that doesn't trespass over Mr. Michalak's intellectual property.

          You can google a search for sketchup boats, particularly Bolger's boats, and there are 3D models of Micro and some others out there. They will give you an idea of how powerful this software is. Those models are way beyond my ability.
        • tomek wilamowski
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
            Ok Thank You- I will try sketchup to see my boat.
            regards Tom

            2012/11/24 okiebobby@... <okiebobby@...>

            > **
            >

            > Like I said, I'm learning as I go. I'm using sketchup kind of like a new
            > pilot would use a flight simulator. I build a 3D model of the pieces in
            > sketch up, prior to building the actual piece.
            >
            > For example: Per the plans, Step-1 is the stem. I built a 3D model of
            > stem, prior to cutting the stem on my table saw.
            >
            > Sheet-1, the lines diagram of the plans, is a map of where all the key
            > pieces of he puzzle line-up. Using this diagram I made 'guidepoints' in
            > sketch up.
            >
            > Then using Sheet-2, the construction diagram of the plans, I read the
            > designer's stem dimensions. I built a cyber stem, already lined-up and
            > hanging where it will be within the lines diagram.
            >
            > Oh, one more thing. For me, I'm building a half model in sketchup. I think
            > that will allow me to spin the model around and get better perspectives as
            > it gets complete.
            >
            > By the way, the designer having Step-1 be this little 6" stem was really
            > brilliant. No gluing; I just used scrap lumber (which happened to be a very
            > nice scrap I had been reserving). It was a real confidence builder. Granted
            > without a table saw it would require some skills.
            >
            > For now, I'm not comfortable sharing this file, or even doing screen
            > prints. I may do some screen prints later, but I need to be careful and do
            > it in a way that doesn't trespass over Mr. Michalak's intellectual property.
            >
            > You can google a search for sketchup boats, particularly Bolger's boats,
            > and there are 3D models of Micro and some others out there. They will give
            > you an idea of how powerful this software is. Those models are way beyond
            > my ability.

          • Bud
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2012
              Thanks very much for sharing with us.  It was a very good read and will help me when I build.  Good luck with your build my friend.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2012
                I put a picture of a sketchup model of Caroline at Michalak group photos only 3.

                It is blurry and a small file size, and I've hid most of the reference points. All this is intentional, to protect the designers intellectual property. Creating a picture similar to a photo of a model or a photo of a build seemed prudent.

                So far it is just a modified half model of the bulkheads, but it has really helped me gain a better grasp of the project, and better understand the plans.