Re: Ship and Aircraft fairing and development by SS Rabl

  • Tim Anderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
      All right, i will start this evening and create the files as pdf. Tim P
      Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder

    • TomH
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
        What a great find! Rabl has done some really nice stuff.
        Thanks a lot for contributing to all our benefit.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@...> wrote:

        > i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
        > Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

      • Carl Volkwein
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 24, 2012
          How bvig of a boat are we talking here?
          I plan to build a small,19' sloop in the next couple years, so if it's in this rang I would be interested.

          ________________________________
          i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
          Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

        • John Kohnen
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 24, 2012
            Rabl's book is about lofting, and developing panels from drawings or loftings. It's a great book on the subject, and applies to any size project. If you use a CAD program to do the examples you can learn a lot without the tedium of drafting by hand; kinda like using a calculator in math class, I suppose. ;o)

            --
            John <jkohnen@...>
            A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. (Lord Peter Wimsey)

            Sent from a mobile device
          • naturalist71261
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 25, 2012
              No, I am the Scow Schooner builder, Sailing Canoe builder, Racing Pirogue Building, Louisiana swamp dwelling Tim Anderson, but the other Tim is a dear friend of mine, he is living on SF Bay now. I am having trouble with my scanner so there will be a delay in the uploads of the book.

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 25, 2012
                Jim, I'd be interested, if you're talking about in the 20' range, and 1/8th" plate, also I can't find the cover page.

                ________________________________
                No, I am the Scow Schooner builder, Sailing Canoe builder, Racing Pirogue Building, Louisiana swamp dwelling Tim Anderson, but the other Tim is a dear friend of mine, he is living on SF Bay now. I am having trouble with my scanner so there will be a delay in the uploads of the book.
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "joe_mapango" <ccurtis-keyword-crusing.65bae6@...> wrote:

                > Are you the famous almost made it to Cuba, sailed a coleman with a stick outrigger to Alaska Tim Anderson? If you are, I am honored to have you on the list! If not sorry for the confusion, welcome to the list, and you may want to read about some of Tim's antics on minimaly seaworthey small boats!
                >
                > http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/alaska/text0001.html
                >
                > A great read for those who have not had the pleasure!
                >
                > Chris Curtis
                > S/V Romany
                > curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com
                >

                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@> wrote:
                > >
                > > i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
                > > Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

              • John Boy
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 25, 2012
                  Scow schooner you say?  Got any pics of that?
                  Apalachicola River swamp John Boy

                  I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

                  Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 27, 2012
                    While looking to see if Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development is still
                    in print (it isn't), I discovered that Sam Rabl wrote a novel!

                    http://www.capricornbooks.ca/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=35864

                    I wonder if it's any good... I enjoyed Kenneth Roberts' privateering
                    novels when I was a lad...

                    On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:57:54 -0800, Tim A wrote:

                    > All right, i will start this evening and create the files as pdf. Tim P
                    > Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder

                    --
                    John (jkohnen@...)
                    I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                    couldn't make it worse. (Brendan Behan)
                  • Mark Albanese
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 27, 2012
                      Everybody ought to write -one-.

                      On 11/27/12, John Kohnen <jhkohnen@...> wrote:
                      > While looking to see if Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development is still
                      >
                      > in print (it isn't), I discovered that Sam Rabl wrote a novel!
                      >
                      > http://www.capricornbooks.ca/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=35864
                      >
                      > I wonder if it's any good... I enjoyed Kenneth Roberts' privateering
                      > novels when I was a lad...
                      >
                      > On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:57:54 -0800, Tim A wrote:
                      >
                      >> All right, i will start this evening and create the files as pdf. Tim P
                      >> Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder
                      >
                      > --
                      > John (jkohnen@...)
                      > I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                      > couldn't make it worse. (Brendan Behan)

                      Sent from my mobile device
                    • John Kohnen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
                        Yeah, I suppose... But Sam got _his_ published! I suppose it helped that
                        the same publishing house had published Boatbuilding in Your Own backyard.
                        <g>

                        On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 02:08:57 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                        > Everybody ought to write -one-.
                        >
                        > On 11/27/12, John Kohnen <jhkohnen@...> wrote:
                        >> I discovered that Sam Rabl wrote a novel!
                        >>
                        >> http://www.capricornbooks.ca/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=35864

                        John (jkohnen@...)
                        I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a
                        great deal. If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and
                        use oar or paddle... they would get infinitely more benefit than
                        by having their work done for them by gasoline. (Theodore
                        Roosevelt)