Single-sail Mikesboat

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2012
      Well, it only took a few years, but I finally got a couple of friends to go in together on building a sailboat. For a while we were thinking of changing to Blobster (just got the plans), but we've gone back to Plan A, which is Mikesboat (Laguna was the other contender, but was eliminated in spite of its speed!). There's been some discussion in this forum about sails and rigs on the Mikesboat lately. I like the larger sail area of the yawl, but the three of us really prefer the quick rigging and simplicity of the single sail. Our area (mid-Willamette valley of Oregon), often has light winds in the summer, along with those "exciting" days, so I'd really like good light-air performance combined with easy deep reefing. I took the 139 sqft lug sail off the Blobster plans and put it on the Mikesboat plans, and it seems to fall just right. It has the same area as the yawl (138 vs 139), but all in one sail for better efficiency, and two reefs. I know the advantages of the yawl (I sail currently sail a Micro), but I think the single sail is better for us. CofE is not too high.

      Can anyone think of any show-stoppers to that? We really like this version and are ready to start buying material. Use would be mostly day-sailing, with some motoring/messing-about on the river and some camp-cruising.
    • PolySail_Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
        Dean Herring commissioned me to design and build a 130 sq. ft. balanced
        lug sail for his Mikesboat and that is the next sail in the queue for me
        to complete. He, too, thought that his Mikesboat was underpowered, and
        because he likes to sail hard and fast, he debated about selling it or
        keeping it, finally coming down on the side of keeping the boat with a
        conversion to a single sail of the size mentioned. We couldn't think of
        a reason not to make this conversion, and the new sail CE will be almost
        dead on the former CE after a slight change to the mast angle. Knowing
        Dean, unless the East Coast is iced in for the winter, he will probably
        have a report for us on how his Mikesboat sails with her new sail by the
        New Year.

        Dave Gray

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brianincorv@...> wrote:

        > Well, it only took a few years, but I finally got a couple of friends
        to go in together on building a sailboat. For a while we were thinking
        of changing to Blobster (just got the plans), but we've gone back to
        Plan A, which is Mikesboat (Laguna was the other contender, but was
        eliminated in spite of its speed!). There's been some discussion in this
        forum about sails and rigs on the Mikesboat lately. I like the larger
        sail area of the yawl, but the three of us really prefer the quick
        rigging and simplicity of the single sail. Our area (mid-Willamette
        valley of Oregon), often has light winds in the summer, along with those
        "exciting" days, so I'd really like good light-air performance combined
        with easy deep reefing. I took the 139 sqft lug sail off the Blobster
        plans and put it on the Mikesboat plans, and it seems to fall just
        right. It has the same area as the yawl (138 vs 139), but all in one
        sail for better efficiency, and two reefs. I know the advantages of the
        yawl (I sail currently sail a Micro), but I think the single sail is
        better for us. CofE is not too high.

        > Can anyone think of any show-stoppers to that? We really like this
        version and are ready to start buying material. Use would be mostly
        day-sailing, with some motoring/messing-about on the river and some
        camp-cruising.

      • Dean Herring
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2012
          Dave, I don't believe that the Mike' Boat will qualify as sailing hard and fast with the 130sqft on it. It's not until we get a 200 sqft sail on it with spinnaker that it will. HAHA - we will need that next! just kidding...

          My issue was the same as Brian's Equal sailing this boat in the summer with light winds or with additional crew and gear weight. The lug with two sets of reef points should go well for this boat.

          Back on line with a 4 pointer in the freezer (hunters will know)
          Dean

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "PolySail_Dave" <polysail@...> wrote:

          > Dean Herring commissioned me to design and build a 130 sq. ft. balanced
          > lug sail for his Mikesboat and that is the next sail in the queue for me
          > to complete. He, too, thought that his Mikesboat was underpowered, and
          > because he likes to sail hard and fast, he debated about selling it or
          > keeping it, finally coming down on the side of keeping the boat with a
          > conversion to a single sail of the size mentioned. We couldn't think of
          > a reason not to make this conversion, and the new sail CE will be almost
          > dead on the former CE after a slight change to the mast angle. Knowing
          > Dean, unless the East Coast is iced in for the winter, he will probably
          > have a report for us on how his Mikesboat sails with her new sail by the
          > New Year.
          >
          > Dave Gray
          >

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brianincorv@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well, it only took a few years, but I finally got a couple of friends
          > to go in together on building a sailboat. For a while we were thinking
          > of changing to Blobster (just got the plans), but we've gone back to
          > Plan A, which is Mikesboat (Laguna was the other contender, but was
          > eliminated in spite of its speed!). There's been some discussion in this
          > forum about sails and rigs on the Mikesboat lately. I like the larger
          > sail area of the yawl, but the three of us really prefer the quick
          > rigging and simplicity of the single sail. Our area (mid-Willamette
          > valley of Oregon), often has light winds in the summer, along with those
          > "exciting" days, so I'd really like good light-air performance combined
          > with easy deep reefing. I took the 139 sqft lug sail off the Blobster
          > plans and put it on the Mikesboat plans, and it seems to fall just
          > right. It has the same area as the yawl (138 vs 139), but all in one
          > sail for better efficiency, and two reefs. I know the advantages of the
          > yawl (I sail currently sail a Micro), but I think the single sail is
          > better for us. CofE is not too high.
          > >
          > > Can anyone think of any show-stoppers to that? We really like this
          > version and are ready to start buying material. Use would be mostly
          > day-sailing, with some motoring/messing-about on the river and some
          > camp-cruising.

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
            Thanks, guys! I look forward to seeing how it all works out.

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@...> wrote:

            > Dave, I don't believe that the Mike' Boat will qualify as sailing hard and fast with the 130sqft on it. It's not until we get a 200 sqft sail on it with spinnaker that it will. HAHA - we will need that next! just kidding...
            >
            > My issue was the same as Brian's Equal sailing this boat in the summer with light winds or with additional crew and gear weight. The lug with two sets of reef points should go well for this boat.
            >
            > Back on line with a 4 pointer in the freezer (hunters will know)
            > Dean
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "PolySail_Dave" <polysail@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Dean Herring commissioned me to design and build a 130 sq. ft. balanced
            > > lug sail for his Mikesboat and that is the next sail in the queue for me
            > > to complete. He, too, thought that his Mikesboat was underpowered, and
            > > because he likes to sail hard and fast, he debated about selling it or
            > > keeping it, finally coming down on the side of keeping the boat with a
            > > conversion to a single sail of the size mentioned. We couldn't think of
            > > a reason not to make this conversion, and the new sail CE will be almost
            > > dead on the former CE after a slight change to the mast angle. Knowing
            > > Dean, unless the East Coast is iced in for the winter, he will probably
            > > have a report for us on how his Mikesboat sails with her new sail by the
            > > New Year.
            > >
            > > Dave Gray
            > >

            > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brianincorv@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Well, it only took a few years, but I finally got a couple of friends
            > > to go in together on building a sailboat. For a while we were thinking
            > > of changing to Blobster (just got the plans), but we've gone back to
            > > Plan A, which is Mikesboat (Laguna was the other contender, but was
            > > eliminated in spite of its speed!). There's been some discussion in this
            > > forum about sails and rigs on the Mikesboat lately. I like the larger
            > > sail area of the yawl, but the three of us really prefer the quick
            > > rigging and simplicity of the single sail. Our area (mid-Willamette
            > > valley of Oregon), often has light winds in the summer, along with those
            > > "exciting" days, so I'd really like good light-air performance combined
            > > with easy deep reefing. I took the 139 sqft lug sail off the Blobster
            > > plans and put it on the Mikesboat plans, and it seems to fall just
            > > right. It has the same area as the yawl (138 vs 139), but all in one
            > > sail for better efficiency, and two reefs. I know the advantages of the
            > > yawl (I sail currently sail a Micro), but I think the single sail is
            > > better for us. CofE is not too high.
            > > >
            > > > Can anyone think of any show-stoppers to that? We really like this
            > > version and are ready to start buying material. Use would be mostly
            > > day-sailing, with some motoring/messing-about on the river and some
            > > camp-cruising.

          • Dean Herring
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2013
              The Mike's Boat got modified, the hardware was attached, the new 130 sqft lug sail went up! I loaded pictures to the Dean's Mike's Boat photo album. Check out the pictures let me know if the lug position looks correct on the mast. COE of the sail is right over the pivot of the lee board. The sail then came down and the hardware got taken off and now on to epoxy coat the spars. Spars are all hollow birdsmouth construction. Mast weighs in at a lean 25 pounds and is 3.2 inches in diameter, yard and boom are 2.1 inches in diameter.

              Dave Gray made me another great polysail, kudos to Dave!

              Dean

            • Dean Herring
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 16, 2013
                forgot to mention mast is 18 feet, boom at 13 feet and yard at 12 feet long

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
                  Looks great as always Dean!!!

                  Cheers Tom

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@...> wrote:

                  > The Mike's Boat got modified, the hardware was attached, the new 130 sqft lug sail went up! I loaded pictures to the Dean's Mike's Boat photo album. Check out the pictures let me know if the lug position looks correct on the mast. COE of the sail is right over the pivot of the lee board. The sail then came down and the hardware got taken off and now on to epoxy coat the spars. Spars are all hollow birdsmouth construction. Mast weighs in at a lean 25 pounds and is 3.2 inches in diameter, yard and boom are 2.1 inches in diameter.
                  >
                  > Dave Gray made me another great polysail, kudos to Dave!
                  >
                  > Dean
                  >

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brianincorv@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks, guys! I look forward to seeing how it all works out.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Herring" <dfharing@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Dave, I don't believe that the Mike' Boat will qualify as sailing hard and fast with the 130sqft on it. It's not until we get a 200 sqft sail on it with spinnaker that it will. HAHA - we will need that next! just kidding...
                  > > >
                  > > > My issue was the same as Brian's Equal sailing this boat in the summer with light winds or with additional crew and gear weight. The lug with two sets of reef points should go well for this boat.
                  > > >
                  > > > Back on line with a 4 pointer in the freezer (hunters will know)
                  > > > Dean

                • Dean Herring
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 21 12:22 PM
                    Say, anybody want an almost new LOM 98SQFT Duckworks tan bark sail. contact me off line for a good deal. Dean