Ship and Aircraft fairing and development by SS Rabl

  • naturalist71261
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 22, 2012
      i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
      Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder
    • joe_mapango
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 22, 2012
        Are you the famous almost made it to Cuba, sailed a coleman with a stick outrigger to Alaska Tim Anderson? If you are, I am honored to have you on the list! If not sorry for the confusion, welcome to the list, and you may want to read about some of Tim's antics on minimaly seaworthey small boats!

        http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/alaska/text0001.html

        A great read for those who have not had the pleasure!

        Chris Curtis
        S/V Romany
        curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@...> wrote:

        > i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
        > Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

      • graeme
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@...> wrote:
          >I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject?

          Yes

          Graeme
        • Andrew
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
            I'm interested in reading more of this book.
            Andrew

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@...> wrote:

            > i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
            > Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

          • OnEvenKeel
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
              Me, too.

            • roadkyl@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
                I would be interested
                Paul

                i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
                Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

              • Tim Anderson
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
                  All right, i will start this evening and create the files as pdf. Tim P
                  Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder

                • TomH
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 23, 2012
                    What a great find! Rabl has done some really nice stuff.
                    Thanks a lot for contributing to all our benefit.

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@...> wrote:

                    > i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
                    > Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

                  • Carl Volkwein
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 24, 2012
                      How bvig of a boat are we talking here?
                      I plan to build a small,19' sloop in the next couple years, so if it's in this rang I would be interested.

                      ________________________________
                      i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
                      Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

                    • John Kohnen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 24, 2012
                        Rabl's book is about lofting, and developing panels from drawings or loftings. It's a great book on the subject, and applies to any size project. If you use a CAD program to do the examples you can learn a lot without the tedium of drafting by hand; kinda like using a calculator in math class, I suppose. ;o)

                        --
                        John <jkohnen@...>
                        A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. (Lord Peter Wimsey)

                        Sent from a mobile device
                      • naturalist71261
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 25, 2012
                          No, I am the Scow Schooner builder, Sailing Canoe builder, Racing Pirogue Building, Louisiana swamp dwelling Tim Anderson, but the other Tim is a dear friend of mine, he is living on SF Bay now. I am having trouble with my scanner so there will be a delay in the uploads of the book.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 25, 2012
                            Jim, I'd be interested, if you're talking about in the 20' range, and 1/8th" plate, also I can't find the cover page.

                            ________________________________
                            No, I am the Scow Schooner builder, Sailing Canoe builder, Racing Pirogue Building, Louisiana swamp dwelling Tim Anderson, but the other Tim is a dear friend of mine, he is living on SF Bay now. I am having trouble with my scanner so there will be a delay in the uploads of the book.
                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "joe_mapango" <ccurtis-keyword-crusing.65bae6@...> wrote:

                            > Are you the famous almost made it to Cuba, sailed a coleman with a stick outrigger to Alaska Tim Anderson? If you are, I am honored to have you on the list! If not sorry for the confusion, welcome to the list, and you may want to read about some of Tim's antics on minimaly seaworthey small boats!
                            >
                            > http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/alaska/text0001.html
                            >
                            > A great read for those who have not had the pleasure!
                            >
                            > Chris Curtis
                            > S/V Romany
                            > curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com
                            >

                            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "naturalist71261" <naturalist71261@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > i have uploaded an image of the cover of this book, a WW2 book by Sam Rabl on plate development and lofting. I am wondering if there is an interest in this subject? if so i will scan, sharpen and upload the 94 pages over the next few evenings, i posted an image of the cover in files.
                            > > Tim P Anderson, swamp dwelling boat builder

                          • John Boy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 25, 2012
                              Scow schooner you say?  Got any pics of that?
                              Apalachicola River swamp John Boy

                              I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

                              Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 27, 2012
                                While looking to see if Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development is still
                                in print (it isn't), I discovered that Sam Rabl wrote a novel!

                                http://www.capricornbooks.ca/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=35864

                                I wonder if it's any good... I enjoyed Kenneth Roberts' privateering
                                novels when I was a lad...

                                On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:57:54 -0800, Tim A wrote:

                                > All right, i will start this evening and create the files as pdf. Tim P
                                > Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder

                                --
                                John (jkohnen@...)
                                I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                                couldn't make it worse. (Brendan Behan)
                              • Mark Albanese
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 27, 2012
                                  Everybody ought to write -one-.

                                  On 11/27/12, John Kohnen <jhkohnen@...> wrote:
                                  > While looking to see if Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development is still
                                  >
                                  > in print (it isn't), I discovered that Sam Rabl wrote a novel!
                                  >
                                  > http://www.capricornbooks.ca/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=35864
                                  >
                                  > I wonder if it's any good... I enjoyed Kenneth Roberts' privateering
                                  > novels when I was a lad...
                                  >
                                  > On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:57:54 -0800, Tim A wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> All right, i will start this evening and create the files as pdf. Tim P
                                  >> Anderson swamp dwelling boat builder
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > John (jkohnen@...)
                                  > I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman
                                  > couldn't make it worse. (Brendan Behan)

                                  Sent from my mobile device
                                • John Kohnen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
                                    Yeah, I suppose... But Sam got _his_ published! I suppose it helped that
                                    the same publishing house had published Boatbuilding in Your Own backyard.
                                    <g>

                                    On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 02:08:57 -0800, Mark A wrote:

                                    > Everybody ought to write -one-.
                                    >
                                    > On 11/27/12, John Kohnen <jhkohnen@...> wrote:
                                    >> I discovered that Sam Rabl wrote a novel!
                                    >>
                                    >> http://www.capricornbooks.ca/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=35864

                                    John (jkohnen@...)
                                    I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a
                                    great deal. If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and
                                    use oar or paddle... they would get infinitely more benefit than
                                    by having their work done for them by gasoline. (Theodore
                                    Roosevelt)