Re: Boat Building Cost

  • joe_mapango
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
      Boat building or buying has always tended to cost me whatever money I had or could blow on it at any given time.

      I'm a vegetarian so I'm going turkey less also. Here were eating Jimmy "bean" sausage, UMMMM, better than the "real" stuff anyday!

      Chris Curtis
      S/V Romany
      curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka97203@...> wrote:

      > My favorite for cheaper ply is the radiata pine, Arauco, which Roddis
      > appears to carry. It cuts and planes without splintering and finishes
      > well. Some batches have a tendency to curl, so pick you sheets
      > carefully, or follow Payson's method of wetting, then drying in the sun.
      >
      > Just Tofurkey for me today, but I like it! Cheers
      >
      > On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Donald Greer wrote:
      >
      > > Well, you guys aren't being kind to the bank account ;) but looks
      > > like I'll
      > > switch to marine with #2 (#1 will be a puddle duck to get my feet
      > > wet and
      > > because it's.small enough to use in the tank).
      > >
      > > Thanks for all the advise!
      > >
      > > And happy Thanksgiving!

    • john colley
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 23, 2012
        Hmmm,don't know about that.I'll bet when you finish your first boat ,you'll be so proud of your self that you'll regret not using good stuff..There is no mistake so big that you cannot fix with enough epoxy.I built my first boat straight from my head,no plans.Used marine ply and stitch and glue techniques i picked from John Welsfords excelent book Back yard boat builder. .

        -Sigurd Olson

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 23, 2012
          I agree with you.Minecost me as much as a fibreglass production canoe,But it has WAY more character.

          -Sigurd Olson

          No matter what formula you use it always costs more & takes longer than you think it will. We all know this going in. There are no cheap boats. If you want it bad enough, you do whatever it takes. Then you will have a boat.