Re: [Michalak] Re: Boat Building Cost

  • Donald Greer
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
      Well, you guys aren't being kind to the bank account ;) but looks like I'll
      switch to marine with #2 (#1 will be a puddle duck to get my feet wet and
      because it's.small enough to use in the tank).

      Thanks for all the advise!

      And happy Thanksgiving!

      Don
      On Nov 22, 2012 5:42 PM, "Hajo Smulders" <hajosmulders@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Everybody I know that has been building boats for a while graduates to
      > marine plywoods. I build my last boat in underlayment. And like all
      > those other builders, I wish I had switched at least one boat
      > earlier...
      >
      > Hajo Smulders
      > Sent from my mobile
      >
      > On Nov 22, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Donald Greer <dgreer@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
      > > On Nov 22, 2012 4:24 PM, "Mark Albanese" <marka97203@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> Actually, nice materials can accelerate your learning curve, less
      > >> time and money spent making up for deficiencies in the cheap stuff.

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
        My favorite for cheaper ply is the radiata pine, Arauco, which Roddis
        appears to carry. It cuts and planes without splintering and finishes
        well. Some batches have a tendency to curl, so pick you sheets
        carefully, or follow Payson's method of wetting, then drying in the sun.

        Just Tofurkey for me today, but I like it! Cheers

        On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Donald Greer wrote:

        > Well, you guys aren't being kind to the bank account ;) but looks
        > like I'll
        > switch to marine with #2 (#1 will be a puddle duck to get my feet
        > wet and
        > because it's.small enough to use in the tank).
        >
        > Thanks for all the advise!
        >
        > And happy Thanksgiving!

      • joe_mapango
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
          Boat building or buying has always tended to cost me whatever money I had or could blow on it at any given time.

          I'm a vegetarian so I'm going turkey less also. Here were eating Jimmy "bean" sausage, UMMMM, better than the "real" stuff anyday!

          Chris Curtis
          S/V Romany
          curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka97203@...> wrote:

          > My favorite for cheaper ply is the radiata pine, Arauco, which Roddis
          > appears to carry. It cuts and planes without splintering and finishes
          > well. Some batches have a tendency to curl, so pick you sheets
          > carefully, or follow Payson's method of wetting, then drying in the sun.
          >
          > Just Tofurkey for me today, but I like it! Cheers
          >
          > On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Donald Greer wrote:
          >
          > > Well, you guys aren't being kind to the bank account ;) but looks
          > > like I'll
          > > switch to marine with #2 (#1 will be a puddle duck to get my feet
          > > wet and
          > > because it's.small enough to use in the tank).
          > >
          > > Thanks for all the advise!
          > >
          > > And happy Thanksgiving!

        • john colley
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2012
            Hmmm,don't know about that.I'll bet when you finish your first boat ,you'll be so proud of your self that you'll regret not using good stuff..There is no mistake so big that you cannot fix with enough epoxy.I built my first boat straight from my head,no plans.Used marine ply and stitch and glue techniques i picked from John Welsfords excelent book Back yard boat builder. .

            -Sigurd Olson

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 23, 2012
              I agree with you.Minecost me as much as a fibreglass production canoe,But it has WAY more character.

              -Sigurd Olson

              No matter what formula you use it always costs more & takes longer than you think it will. We all know this going in. There are no cheap boats. If you want it bad enough, you do whatever it takes. Then you will have a boat.